Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2001 6:54:51 PM EDT
I was trolling the show today when a woman behind a table asks me "hey, what kind of gun is that?" I reply that its an AR-15.  She then says oh, is it a .223? I say sure is and she then uncovers a box on her table that is full of what appear to be new 30 rd Orlite thermolds.  She then pulls out this sign and shows me, kind of timidly, that they are $15 ea. and that I should buy some. I take a look at a few and notice that there is no identification on them so I put them back and walk away.      Did I pass up a good deal or was this someone selling knock-offs or LE only mags?  I was somewhat taken aback buy the manner in which she approached me and decided to err on the side of caution.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Was there a mold number on the bottom side of the mags?  If no dates were stamped on them then they should have been fine.  You want to buy Orlites with the higher mold numbers though, because the have the metal reinforcement in the upper half of the mag under the plastic/polymer of course.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I may be wrong but I do not recall any writing at all on the mags.    Incidently, I am new to these type mags, when you say "higher numbers" can you give me any more info as to exactly how high? I have one that shows 1135-1673-y   and a 0/09..........
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen dealers selling mags dirt cheap at a gun show before.  A typical situation would be a guy walks in with say an Olympic AR-15 that he bought new for $700, and has shot a little bit.  He trades the AR and a bunch of mags for say a $400  Beretta pistol.  The dealer may only have $300 in the pistol or less depending on trades.  The dealer sells the Oly AR to another guy for say $550.  He has now already turned a profit and has virtually nothing in the mags.  If he sells them for $2 each he still has 100% profit on them.  These situations may explain why you sometimes see ridiculously low prices at gun shows sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I just  thought it was kind of weird that she had the box covered up until she -lured- me over to the table, then pointed to the sign she picked up after uncovering the box of mags....
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top