Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2001 3:07:26 PM EDT
Your at you're "table" at the range with some people, and the the guy next to you (on you're left) is sending brass flying at you're head (lets say he's shooting an ak and squeezing them as fast as he can).  How would you handle the situation?  Ask him to reposition himself so the brass misses you?  Say nothing and "deal with it"?  I'm curious only because I've dealt with this situation a little different from some of my buddies.  thks
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I would move out of the way while he is shooting or move to another area if possible. He has a right to shoot, what would you expect him to do? Hold it ganster style? I'm usually the guy sending the brass on my friends and they don't seem to mind until they get one down the shirt.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually start out with a compliment on his gun and then ask for him to reposition. Most guys are reasonable and are sorry for peppering you. If he ends up being an a$$hole then I move to his left and see if he likes it or wait until he takes his ears off and let one go.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been on the brass throwing side of that equation.  While at the Atterbury range in Indiana, a guy wanted to shoot black powder, the only bench open was just to my right.  So he asked if we could switch.

I agreed it would probably be a good idea.
Most people are pretty cool about stuff like that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Look for another place to shoot from.  Don't whine
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
i politly get up and move he paid to shoot just like i did. besides usly im the guy with the ak or ar throwing brass like crazy [:D] but i ussaly try to get a end table so i dont pepper people
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
that's why i go to the range the trip would not be complete if i didn't get to dodge some brass.
bcr308 i still didn't mean to do that.
it's like going to a snowball fight and expecting not to get hit by a snowball.
yeeeee hhaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!
boxer
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been in this situation before, so I know what to do!

What I do (usually) is curse and squirm as the red-hot 5.56, 7.62, and Garand brass rain down on me and fall inside my shooting jacket.  Usually, this is during a match, so I can't take time to pick the casing out.

"Ready on the right, ready on the left. All ready on the firing line.. You may commence firing."
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
At Ben Avery shooting range here in AZ they provide a shield for you.  You can go get one and put it between you and the other shooter.  I've never had to use them, as I am usually the one dumping brass on someone (though I try not to).
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I saw a nice looking woman shooting a rimfire pistol at the indoor range once, she had a low cut top on. She had a hot one go down there and she started doing a great dance around the range
[:E]
View Quote

I sure hope she put the gun down safely first.

[red][size=4]PRK

Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Phil in Seattle:

Dodging brass is a fact of life at the range.
I must have gotten about 5lbs of brass in my range bag from the shooter next to me at last weeks Seattle shoot.  I might just have to start reloading .223 now!  Really I was just ducking and covering and it all went right into my bag, just like magic.
View Quote

So thats where all my brass went!
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Look at it this way:

Your target shooting demands a certain level of concentration.  

At first, that hot stuff peppering your spot can be a distraction.  But learning to ignore it (except the ones that get inside your clothes) can build that concentration.

It's actually good, in a way.

if it's just too much, surely suggesting a switch can help.

It doesn't pay to get P.O.'d about it.  

The other guys are not TRYING to disrupt your shooting.  Myself, I feel a little uncomfortable when I know I'm the one raining brass on someone else, but that's life.

[red][size=4]PRK
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#19]
First of all I would kill him and take all of his weapons and ammo.  Then waste everyone else on the firing line, the Rangemaster, and the girl at the consession stand.  grab a hotdog and eat it quickly.  Go home and kill the neighbor's dog, and that stupid cat from across the street.  Then maybe get on a freeway and drive about 20 mph for a few hours while being "chased" by he cops.  Tap your heels together and say "there's no place like a hot brass-free range."

That oughta do it.

Balming
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#20]
 My father told me when I was little that hot brass and heavy recoil let you know your alive.
Smile, squeeze one off, and inhale just in time to suck in that cloud of black-powder from the guy on the other side!
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Personally I just deal with it.  Got used to it in the Army and it doesn't bother me much anymore.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I go with the "Nice gun, but you're dumping brass right on my forehead, could you please put the brass deflector in place?"  Our range has a brass deflector for each bench made out of two 2x12"s about 18" long, with one flat on the table, and the other coming vertically out of the horizontal one.  They are very effective, if the shooter knows what to do with it.  

If they arent very friendly about the brass landing on my bench, any brass that touches my bench is mine even though I dont reload.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I would ask if we can swap places.  If the person is being an a$$hole.  That's when I take out my S&W 629 classic and shoot the beast with a hot load right beside him and its just matter of time when he'll receive some powder burn or escaping gases from the cylinder to hit him in the face. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I am splitting my sides reading all the replies on this one.

Well, I shoot ARs, bolt actions, semi-auto pistols- amd I also shoot black powder (Baker rifle, Brown Bess musket) at the local ranges. Most people are just tickled pink to see a flintlock, that they don't seem to mind if I start shooting it, esp. when I offer to let others shoot.

As for the more modern guns, I have a home-made brass deflector and catcher made from a Vermont Teddy Bear Factory box- gets a lot of stares (who the hell is THIS guy??) , but NOBODY gets hot brass down their necks -or cleavage (sigh...)- from me. When I'm done, I close up the now-filled teddy bear box (looks like a little suitcase...), all the brass goes home with me, and I don't have to get down and bend around on my hands and knees searching for errant brass. Life is good for the Teddy Bear man....("Arms are for Hugging" :^D )

Also, something else to bear in mind: if and when the grabbers ever ban shooting entirely, you will miss hot brass......it will seem, in the end, to have been a minor annoyance compared to what happened with the "big picture".
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I have never had anyone ask me to stop shooting or move because of my brass.
I have asked many times if the person on the right of me wants me to stop. Every time I get the same reply: "It's all part of shooting".
I have also been to the right of the shooter, and all I do is watch where the brass is falling and adjust my position.
Once I was set up next to a real target shooter, the guy had the jacket with the straps and the pads and the space gun. He was taking like 5 minutes to set up for each shot.
I thought I would be nice to him and only shoot after he had taken his shot.
After doing this twice he asked my why I stopped shooting like I was before. I tild him I didn't want to disturb his concentration. He laughed and told me it would take more than the sound of gunfire and brass raining down on him to disturb him.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top