Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2004 6:27:31 PM EDT
how many of yall have streetbikes?
what kind?
do you like it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2000 Kawasaki ZX12R. Top speed, about 200 mph. It does 95 mph in 1st gear. Nicely cruises at 70 mph@4000 on the tach with a 11,500 redline. Riding it is a pure addrenaline rush. I'm involved in a couple of sportbike groupes too. Lots of fun ridind with others.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My brother has a Honda CBR 600F3 and it is fun as hell to ride. But I prefer my Harley.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
yes
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I never have gotten into the bike thing.  Somone wanted me to look into it but I dont have an urge too myself.  
I dont know if Im missing something or what.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
1988 FZR 1000, D&D pipe, rejetted, rear fender eliminator kit, flush turnsignals, blah, blah. The sticker on the license plate is 1992. Can't ride because of my back. Can't bear to sell it. Probably locked up by now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I gave up my GSXR 750.

Loved that thing, raced it a few times in Mead, Colorado.

Too risky, especially here in Atlanta.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
used to have a CBR600F4i, sold it.

hopefully I will be getting an R1 for next season
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
an old workhorse.....1991 GSXR1100....with 92,000 miles on the clock, all mine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a 94 CBR F2, 95 CBR F3, 00 R1, 01 RC51.
Got married.
Got no bikes.
Got into NFA.
She lost
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
GS500E, but i will replace it with a CBR600RR in a month or so.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#12]
My old VFR:

I like the bike a lot but would like to have something more modern with modern suspension and tires and a bit more power.  Hard to find something sporty these days with a decent riding position.  The zx-12 is nice but a bit too much power and weight for what I am looking for.

I'd like to upgrade to something new but am too poor at the present.  Probably a Honda Superhawk or Suzuki SV1000S or a leftover Ninja zx-9.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't own a motorcycle, but if I did it would be a Harley.

I used to live it up with some Harley groupies up in Detroit.  They were the wildest bunch.  They went out and purchased a rice rocket just to put out behind the garage.  Every time someone had to take a leak (you only borrow beer) you emptied on the rice burner.

The good old days...

And us sportbike riders wonder why HD riders never wave back.  Pretty fucking lame.

Sold my last bike, but plan on getting a new one next season when I can put a good down payment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My brother has a Honda CBR 600F3 and it is fun as hell to ride. But I prefer my Harley.

I got a yellow one and my brother has a Harley.  Please tell me its not a Sportster 1200cc?

I love it!!!  Words don't my great times with it justice.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Whats the problem Harley guys have with rice rockets?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#16]

I don't own a rifle, but if I did it would be a flintlock.

I used to live it up with some Civil War groupies up in Detroit.  They were the wildest bunch.  They went out and purchased an AR15 just to put out behind the garage.  Every time someone had to take a leak (you only borrow beer) you emptied on the pea shooter.

The good old days...

I try to let people enjoy what they like, but Harley guys and their attitude really annoy me sometimes.  If you are proud of their big, heavy, slow, poor handling bikes that's fine, but don't get down on others for wanting a modern piece of machinery that performs well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Whats the problem Harley guys have with rice rockets?

They envy rice rockets and wish they were as fast. They know they're stuck with overpriced pieces of shi+ that make a lot of noise and go nowhere.
They also are annoyed at the fact that they have to keep fixing the damn things.

Just kidding, just kidding.

Which reminds me; it's a similar concept with the 1911 lovers hating on the more modern guns that give you less trouble (SIG). LOL.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Bad analogy.  1911s actually perform well and my three have been stone reliable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I honestly think it stems from the HD and it's history.  In the old days bikers who rode Harleys were real bikers.  They had their asinine criminal element like drugs, alcohol, fights, and gangs that were part of the territory, however, their HD was the most prized possession to them.  Back then if some weekend warrior rode a Harley, he'd probably get his ass beat.  Nowadays, anyone can own a Harley, so the biker mentality has lost it's meaning.  The problem is, a lot of these new-age bikers who ride HDs think they are somehow part of a tough guy crowd and therefore a biker.  Sorry, owning a HD doesn't make you tough or better than anyone else.  You don't own the road anymore, get over it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#20]
On my newborn son's ride home from the hospital, I nearly crashed due to some jackass on one of those things playing the "cut you off, weave in and out of traffic" game.

Everytime I see one of those things, I remember that simpleton.  I hope somebody ran him over.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I honestly think it stems from the HD and it's history.  In the old days bikers who rode Harleys were real bikers.  

Are you sure? I thought the Indian riders were the REAL bikers. HD riders were merely wannabes. LOL.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Buell X-1 Lightning.....

77' H-D Electra-Glide........with a side car and travel trailer.....and its for sale.....email me if interested.

Pilk
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I was down at Sturgis last year with my crochrocket (Honda CBR 600i, yellow).  Anyway, I had some work done to it by the local dealer but they did something to the battery.  So I'm right in the middle of Sturgis, Harley's all around me, and my rice rocket won't start!  I had to throw it in 2nd gear and roll down a hill then pop the clutch.  It was pretty shitty, made even worse by having 10,000 Harley lovers watch me!  They thought it was pretty entertaining.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:06:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Misery pretty much hit it on the head. Also they way some sportbike riders act like total idiots on the road doesnt help. I ride with a HD club, well actually its more of a non criminal gang. They dont mind me on my Yamaha on their rides. 100+ HDs and my little YZF. Been riding sportbikes for 12yrs with the last 5 yrs road racing them. Rode over 150,000 miles on various bikes ranging from a 75 CB360T to 8 different Harleys and my sportbikes. I have 3 bikes right now. 93 Honda CBR600 F2 thats race only, 81 Honda XL80S for a pit bike and my 97 Yamaha YZF750R which is being converted to race track only. Thanks to the stupid idiots who think the streets are their stunt tracks and drag race strips, you cant ride a sportbike here without getting f-ed with by the local PD. Looking to buy a 05 FXSTB (Harley Nighttrain) this spring.

Sunacre, what mods do you have on the 12R?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:10:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Until Yamaha built the R6 the YZF750R was the best 600 Yamaha ever built.

Quoted:
Yamaha YZF750R which is being converted to race track only.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:21:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would be funny since a YZF750R (93-98) is a 750cc bike not a 600. R6 is a 600 and Yamaha still builds YZF600R along with R6's
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:33:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Owned a 98 Kawasaki ZX-6R, Solid Red in color. I thought when I bought it that I would love it, as I have owned and ridden all manners of dirt bikes and three and four wheelers. I had never owned a street bike though. I put about 3500 miles on mine and sold it.  It was just not as fun as I thought it would be. Unlike a dirt bike, If you run a sport bike full throttle through even the first two gears......you are in violation of almost ALL posted speed limits. Not to mention the Police frown  on wheelies and such. Add to that the fact that all other motorist have no respect for the motorcycle rider, i.e. "I'll just pull out in front of him, he's on a motorcycle, he'll stop!!" attitude.

They don't see you, they'll merge into you etc. etc. By the time I got off mine, I was more stressed out and tense than I was when I got on.

But if your in it to impress your friends and the ladies, there is nothing better.

Wear a helmet, gloves, high top shoes or boots, and if possible a leather jacket. If you don't think you need them try this.......Run down the street on foot, and at a full sprint, then fall face first on your bare hands and knees, when you get up, imagine the pain you are feeling.... but 60 times worse!!!! Your skin is no match for the pavement at 80 m.p.h.

And just for reference, I had mine up to 160 m.p.h., as indicated on the speedo, don't know how accurate the speedo is, as I've heard that once past 120 they get pretty inaccurate(Sport Rider Magazine). I know I was at least travelling 150 m.p.h. Everything is pretty much a blur, reminded me of Star Trek when they went into warp drive.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:39:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I currently ride a Harley but I'm toying with the idea of picking up a sportbike.  The only problem I see so far is that I like to ride, and most sportbikes do not put you in a position that's condusive to long rides.  I'd love the have the speed, but I generally cruise up and down the beach.  A typical ride for me is 1.5 hours up the beach and 1.5 hours back.  Doing that on your typical sportbike would likely leave me in traction with a bad back for the rest of the week.  If you're interested in actually riding for more than an hour, I'd strongly suggest that you use riding position as your number one criteria in choosing a bike.

I was really hoping that this thread could progress without the HD vs. Jap bullshit, and I'm embarrassed that another HD fan started it this time.  The guy asked about sportbikes, why does anyone even need to bring up HD?

As an aside I'll never buy a new HD again.  That company has completely lost touch.  They are revelling in the huge population of baby boomers that have been their core market for years.  Once the old farts die off, HD is going to be screwed.  They've done nothing but allienate young enthusiasts like myself.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:46:45 AM EDT
[#29]
No shit spermlock.
The YZF750R is an underpowered and heavy but excellent handeling motorcycle.
It's obvious that you have never read Sport Rider or Motorcyclist or have ridden one while the same year GSXR750 and ZX7 (stock) have spanked it in both the quarter mile and top end.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would be funny since a YZF750R (93-98) is a 750cc bike not a 600. R6 is a 600 and Yamaha still builds YZF600R along with R6's

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:15:55 AM EDT
[#30]
My last ride was a ZX9, sold it a few years ago....Been thinking of another street bike though....
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:31:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I am selling my 2000 cbr 929 rr.  Because the wife told me so.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:35:46 AM EDT
[#32]
2004 ZX10R
2000 RC51 (Going to sell it probably)
1993 Ducati 888
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:24:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I currently ride a Harley but I'm toying with the idea of picking up a sportbike.  The only problem I see so far is that I like to ride, and most sportbikes do not put you in a position that's condusive to long rides.  I'd love the have the speed, but I generally cruise up and down the beach.  A typical ride for me is 1.5 hours up the beach and 1.5 hours back.  Doing that on your typical sportbike would likely leave me in traction with a bad back for the rest of the week.  If you're interested in actually riding for more than an hour, I'd strongly suggest that you use riding position as your number one criteria in choosing a bike.

I was really hoping that this thread could progress without the HD vs. Jap bullshit, and I'm embarrassed that another HD fan started it this time.  The guy asked about sportbikes, why does anyone even need to bring up HD?

As an aside I'll never buy a new HD again.  That company has completely lost touch.  They are revelling in the huge population of baby boomers that have been their core market for years.  Once the old farts die off, HD is going to be screwed.  They've done nothing but allienate young enthusiasts like myself.

If you stay away from most of the Yamahas and Suzukis you'll be alright as they tend towards the full race posture while Hoda and Kawasaki are a little more relaxed in the ride posture. The MOst comfy 600 I have ridden though was the current YZF 600 yami. Light, nimble, quick, comfy.

You can also get clip-on risers to give you a more up-right position.

I love the ZX-10R and the ZX-12R but will probably go to a Z1000 or ZRX-1200R The Zuki SV1000 is nice too though.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:29:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
My old VFR:
groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDtAlAVtPupbUUlZyLiz0ryzk9tpR*wFqtTgUu!iNG9NVYEHLBz3qwJ4pG*izeE4l7KFz!pdcmDv0yRTLeXt06mt6UcuAqq*Pjt4l69yuUCXBNGErOxNg/IMG_0005.JPG

I like the bike a lot but would like to have something more modern with modern suspension and tires and a bit more power.  Hard to find something sporty these days with a decent riding position.  The zx-12 is nice but a bit too much power and weight for what I am looking for.

I'd like to upgrade to something new but am too poor at the present.  Probably a Honda Superhawk or Suzuki SV1000S or a leftover Ninja zx-9.

I have a VFR750F 91. Its a nice bike. I ride it to work almost everyday.

Samuel
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#35]
First bike was Kawi Ninja 250.  Last was a Suzuki GSX-R750.  Very fast, loads of fun, but it did require a pretty extreme riding position.  Got cut off by a bus, lost traction on a tar strip and slid 175 feet.  Healed road rash, rode bike for another year, then sold it.  

You can be the best rider around, but you'll be no match for the worst car driver around.  I miss it, but in the last 2 years have taken care of too many victims to get another one any time soon.  Broken backs? yup. Skin grafts? yup. Fingers, arms, legs torn off? yup. But I'll be the first to admit it's a blast up to the point you hit the ground.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:46:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a 2002 SV650S,  half faired V-twin bike.  Before that I rode and learned on a 92 ex500 (500 ninja).  The SV's a great bike and a lot of fun.  Different from the regular crotchrocket sportbikes.  The V twin engine running up to 10,500 rpm's sounds pretty good too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:48:25 AM EDT
[#37]
I used to ride a Suzuki Bandit 600 naked bike.  It was fun but I was a rookie and got tired of fixing stuff from dropping it it every couple months at slow speeds (parking lots, etc.)

I finally dropped it at about 15 MPH while doing a U-turn.  It hit a curb while sliding on its left side, bending the forks and totalling it.  I screwed up my left knee for a couple weeks and decided to retire from riding after only 10 months.

I took the MSF basic course but should have started in the dirt.  I came to the conclusion that I would only ride on a track (controlled environment with no curbs, cars, trees, light poles, etc.) and only after taking a racing class or two.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You can be the best rider around, but you'll be no match for the worst car driver around.  I miss it, but in the last 2 years have taken care of too many victims to get another one any time soon.  Broken backs? yup. Skin grafts? yup. Fingers, arms, legs torn off? yup. But I'll be the first to admit it's a blast up to the point you hit the ground.

WORD!  They have alot of stuff out now though that, with the exception of blunt force trauma to the area will keep you pretty safe. The have kelar lined jeans for those who dont want leather pants or chaps, back protectors that only move in sync with your back but "lock up" if your back slams against stuff as well as offering abrasive protection.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

WORD!  They have alot of stuff out now though that, with the exception of blunt force trauma to the area will keep you pretty safe. The have kelar lined jeans for those who dont want leather pants or chaps, back protectors that only move in sync with your back but "lock up" if your back slams against stuff as well as offering abrasive protection.

S.O.

True enough; I had 2 full sets of serious gear, including 1pc Vanson race leathers with that cool armadillo back pad.  It protected against much, but there are still frightening injuries out there.  Lots of blunt force trauma in the last couple months, in fact.  If someone would come up with a viable neck protector (see Dainese D-Air or other air vests available overseas) and market it in the U.S., then I'd probably look seriously at another bike.  That really seems to be the most exposed/unprotected area.

TAKE THE MSF CLASS, and practice emergency manuevers regularly.  That saved my hide many times.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Here's a video of a REAL crotch rocket...

Crotch Rocket
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I've got a Shadow ACE and I too am looking at a "different" bike!
I've been looking at Honda ST1300's and Yamaha FJR1300's. They are "sport tourers".
Upright riding position, lots of storage, HUGE range and lots of refined power make these more and more appealing to me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#44]
I got a '95 vfr 750 and I ride it to work about 2-3 days a week and it has been the best bike I've had . I will ride this one until the end.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's mine. A 03 Aprilia Mille R.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kenadam/Mille2.jpg

More large pictures here:
mywebpages.comcast.net/kenadam/pictures/Mille/page_01.htm

I try to keep most of my riding to backroads. That's where all the fun is anyway. It reduces a fair amount of the danger from other motorists, particularly on multi-lane highways and stop and go traffic. There's plenty of other danger though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#46]
I've got a 1985 Yamaha Vmax but it just went in the paper for sale today so I can pay off a Vector UZI.  Sad part is I've owned it since 1988 but I know I'll own another one again someday.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I've been looking at Honda ST1300's and Yamaha FJR1300's. They are "sport tourers".
Upright riding position, lots of storage, HUGE range and lots of refined power make these more and more appealing to me.

That's why I'd love one of these
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I looked at some FJR 1300s, NICE bike! Think of it as a hybrid of a goldwing and ZX-12R....

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I ride an 01 Gixxer 600 w/ a few upgrades (Full M4, SS brake lines, RaceTek springs, Pilot Race H2, etc.) I really enjoy it. I also do not understand the HD vs. the rest of the biking world additude that many (but not all) HD riders have. Live and let Live. We both enjoy the same activity, just diffrent variations.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I just bought an '04 Ninja 250, its alot faster than you'd think.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top