Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/1/2002 6:35:37 AM EDT
i've been thinking that a crossbow could be a neat thing to have. or at least i thought that when i was 10 or so. any reason to own one? or would i be better off learning the traditional bow? when is the crossbow indispensible...if ever? i have little archery experiece beyond informal stuff as a kid. i used to do well at it in gym class though. is it something that could be self taught?
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:57:10 AM EDT
Crossbows are generally about the same power as a compound bow. Personally I prefer the traditional bow, but own a crossbow. Go figure. The two major downsides to a crossbow are: 1) short bolts often go into bales up to their fletching or past, requiring frequent re-fletching if you can find the bolt 2) slower rate of fire, 2nd shot etc than a compound bow 3) accelerated string wear On the pro-crossbow side, we have: 1) optical scopes w trajectory compensation etc are easily attached to most - but this actually doesn't extend the range for a reasonably good archer, in my experience 2) a bolt can be carried ready to fire 3) can be easier to shoot from behind some cover 4) if you get your bolts custom-made, you can often get a two for one deal on the shafts as they are half the lengths of some regular arrows
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 7:22:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:16:03 AM EDT
I think they are just cool...
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:27:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2002 10:28:56 AM EDT by drfcolt]
PA just took them off of the "restricted" weapon list. That just leaves semi-auto rifles (rim-fire/center-fire) and MG's. You CAN'T use them in bow season, but you CAN use them in other seasons (small-game, big-game) instead of a shotgun of rifle. Sort of like you can opt for shotgun-slugs/bow instead of a rifle for deer in rifle season.
Top Top