Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/22/2014 8:59:17 AM EDT
Im giving everyone a heads up about this. This morning the wife checked the bank statement and found a $900 charge that we didnt do on the card. The last place i used my card was for a spam can of 5.45 @ wideners. Turns out another guy is saying the same thing online. If you bought anything from them latley you better check your cards. Im gonna call them monday.

I only use this card for ammo and guns.The last place was wideners

If this has happened to you please call Monday and let them know. 800 615-3006

Other guy
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26857
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im giving everyone a heads up about this. This morning the wife checked the bank statement and found a $900 charge that we didnt do on the card. The last place i used my card was for a spam can of 5.45 @ wideners. Turns out another guy is saying the same thing online. If you bought anything from them latley you better check your cards. Im gonna call them monday.

View Quote

I had the same thing happen to me.  Card fraud dept contacted me.  $400 in charges at a sporting goods store Nite Lite 'Huntsmart.com' and HP Korea for $1500.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, bought some IMI 9 about 2 weeks ago and this week my card was hacked for the first time ever. I wonder if....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had the same thing happen to me.  Card fraud dept contacted me.  $400 in charges at a sporting goods store Nite Lite 'Huntsmart.com' and HP Korea for $1500.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was this recent?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#4]
My numbers got stolen right before Christmas. I had not used it at Target, but had done Christmas shopping like 4 different places. These stores really need to tighten their e-security
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought from them in January and I have not had any issues....
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never had problems with ordering from Wideners. Most recent order was about a month ago.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#7]
And this is why you should NEVER use a debit card.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#8]
There are limited payment processors willing to deal with firearm related businesses.

And unfortunately, they fucking suck.

Every. Single. Year. These threads happen. It seems like a really common theme.

I got fucked too. I would suggest having a separate credit card only for gun related shit and watch it carefully.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed with that. It is bad enough with credit cards, but I have completely stopped using my debit card. I just take cash out at the ATM instead now for the grocery story and whatnot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My numbers got stolen right before Christmas. I had not used it at Target, but had done Christmas shopping like 4 different places. These stores really need to tighten their e-security
View Quote

US needs to go to chip and pin like the rest of the freaking world.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does the chip do for online purchases?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've never had problems with ordering from Wideners. Most recent order was about a month ago.
View Quote

Thats about the time i ordered to. I dont use that card much and its usally ammo or gun purchases. Some how someone got it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Was this recent?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was this recent?

Hmmmm............  I bought some ammo cans from them and my card was hacked as well.  About 3-4 weeks ago.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I signed up for Identity Guard yesterday. Hopefully this will protect me.  It's a sad damned thing to have to do.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Other guy

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26857
View Quote

Where have you used it in the last 30 days? If Wideners is the point of compromise you would see hundreds of complaints.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Since you don't know when and where it happened putting a companies name in your thread is kinda bad. I feel for you regarding your info getting taken.

I have had cards get used before and never found out who did it. Got cards changed or disputed charges and had them removed. It happens.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are limited payment processors willing to deal with firearm related businesses.

And unfortunately, they fucking suck.

Every. Single. Year. These threads happen. It seems like a really common theme.

I got fucked too. I would suggest having a separate credit card only for gun related shit and watch it carefully.
View Quote

So could the processor have been breached instead of Wideners? I recently had a credit card get fraudulent charges, but I ordered from Military Shooters. The timing was pretty close, but I wasn't sure if was related. They seem like really nice people and I didn't want to drag their names through the mud  by starting a thread and speculating.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I've thought about just using prepaid CC's for ammo/parts purchases,the kind you get at walmart and pre load with a however much $$ you want on it.

has anyone tried this,do these CC's work for online purchases?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've thought about just using prepaid CC's for ammo/parts purchases,the kind you get at walmart and pre load with a however much $$ you want on it.

View Quote
I think there is also a way to create a "virtual" credit card with a different number for each purchase, so your own information is never used on the site you are purchasing from.  I've never done it though.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aren't those just debit cards?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I purchased from Wideners on 3/5 (charges posted 3/6).  Got a call from Bank of America fraud department Thursday 3/20 and they shut down the card.  They also took the charges off my account with no liability.  Purchases from Denmark, France, and a fast food restaurant in Australia along with some others I cannot remember.  I think they all totaled about $1,000.  Also had purchased from two other site vendors on 3/5 and on 3/12.  No other charges by me to the card since then or prior until 12/19/2013.  I love Wideners and have been doing business with them since 1998 and will continue doing so.  With all the hackers out there it happens through no fault of the vendors.  Be sure to check your cards.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn Russian hackers, woudn't be supprised if Putin has a cut in it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Adding fuel to the fire ---

I got declined using my card @ HomeDepot last week.....when I called the bank to find out why, they said it was a precaution because they had detected some possible fraud activity on my account in the last few days.  One charge over $1,000.00 in the UK (definitely not me)...and several smaller charges out of state here.....and I haven't been out of state.   None of the attempted fraudulent charges were approved.  So they cancelled my card and issued me a new one.  

I did however order some SMK's from WIDENERS on March 5th.....COINCIDENCE ????
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Bought some stuff recently from Wideners, haven't had an issue yet....
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Was this recent?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was this recent?

Yes...within the last two weeks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think there is also a way to create a "virtual" credit card with a different number for each purchase, so your own information is never used on the site you are purchasing from.  I've never done it though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the best way. It is also an easy way to pay for stuff, where you are concerned the vendor will add recurring charges (subscriptions).
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Since you don't know when and where it happened putting a companies name in your thread is kinda bad. I feel for you regarding your info gettinog taken.

I have had cards get used before and never found out who did it. Got cards changed or disputed charges and had them removed. It happens.
View Quote

I geuss i should have put it in my OP. I only use it for ammo and gun stuff. Wideners was the last time it was used. About a month ago until thursday which was the $900 purchase
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, I tell my SO the card must have been stolen every time I spend a lot of money too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is the best way. It is also an easy way to pay for stuff, where you are concerned the vendor will add recurring charges (subscriptions).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you do it?  Does it have to be with a specific bank or card?  I can't find out how to do it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I got a call from my CC card company about a suspected fraudulent charge, which it was, and I also made a purchase from Wideners in the past month. Now I know where they got my information.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I guess I got hooked too.

Bought some 5.45 from Wideners within the last 2 weeks or so.

Had fraudelent charges on a Chase card about 3 days ago.  They already sent another card out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an unauth'd charge for $600 show up on my debit once and BBT fixed it within a day.

Pretty sure most debit cards are as zero-fault as credit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I bought something at Widener's for the first time just a couple weeks ago.

Fraud came up on my card on Friday.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How do you do it?  Does it have to be with a specific bank or card?  I can't find out how to do it.
View Quote

Your bank has to have the option. I use Citi and Chase. They both have that option.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Me too.
Rarely use that card, placed order with Widners, next week theres about 40 fraudulent charges, most overseas.
Bank called and cancelled card, but it's got to be Widners, given the above and fact I only used that card once or twice in the prior months.

Nothing against Widners, they probably just got compromised. Otherwise they are a great merchant.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have an unauth'd charge for $600 show up on my debit once and BBT fixed it within a day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are zero fault. The issue is that they can hold the funds until they complete their investigation. Plenty of horror stories out there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#38]
There was a wrist watch thread last summer.  A bunch of members here ordered watches.  The guys like me who didn't register but purchased as a guest had fraudulent charges show up on their cards.  It looked like it was a problem at the processor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Have ordered from them in the past w/out issue....guess I'm done now....
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Have several credit cards.  

If one gets compromised, report it and use the others while it's getting sorted out.

You guys act like it's some kind of big deal.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is.  You have to send ID to Wideners to get ammo, IIRC.  What if they got that, too?   If they can't keep their shit tight, fuck that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Have ordered from them in the past w/out issue....guess I'm done now....
View Quote

If the problem is at Wideners (and it may not be) I'm sure it'll be fixed shortly, if not already.  And nobody will lose any money, unless they completely ignore their credit card statements.

That being the case I will almost certainly order from them again.

If things like this can happen to a major national chain like Target, they're bound to happen to a relatively little place now and then.  Don't sweat it.  If they have an ongoing, uncorrected problem the credit card companies will cut them off due to excessive chargebacks and that will be that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#43]
I had the same thing happen to me.  Made a purchase from Widener's 3/6 got a call from my credit card issuer 3/17 that there appeared to be some fraudulent charges on the card.  Several for a couple dollars & one for almost 17k.  Needless to say I said those were absolutely fraudulent & then they preceded to shut down the account and reissue new cards.  Was pretty certain that the information was compromised at Widener's.   This is why I use an actual credit card for all internet purchases.  So much easier to dispute fraudulent charges.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It is.  You have to send ID to Wideners to get ammo, IIRC.  What if they got that, too?   If they can't keep their shit tight, fuck that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I seriously doubt they keep those online.  There's no reason to.  You could always call and ask if you're concerned.  They don't mind if you cross out your DL number, they're only interested in your name and DOB to verify you're old enough to receive ammo.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#45]
someone probably needs to contact Wideners and let them know
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've had credit card info stolen 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years, credit card company caught all of them before I saw it, cancelled the cards and issued new ones with a different number.  Widener's wasn't involved in any of those, I have ordered from them numerous times with no problems.
View Quote

I have bought several times as well. But this is the first for a problem like this for me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#49]
My card got stolen after ordering from them. first place it was used was a Walmart in Johnsonville Tn, next in AZ. Fraud dept at Chase caught it quick.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use virtual numbers all the time.  Works great as the card numbers are only valid for a single transaction.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top