Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2015 7:02:20 PM EDT
I love corn bread but it can be a little dry and tasteless.  Going to make some from a package from the store shortly.   I usually add some sugar and cinnamon,  but still ends up dry'ish.  What's your suggestions on doctoring up store bought?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
add butter
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
sugar and cinnamon
View Quote

WAT
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love corn bread but it can be a little dry and tasteless.  Going to make some from a package from the store shortly.   I usually add some sugar and cinnamon,  but still ends up dry'ish.  What's your suggestions on doctoring up store bought?
View Quote

I think I may have found the problem
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Add some creamed corn to the mix, really moistens it up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Cream corn and green chilies go great in corn bread.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Put you pan (preferably cast iron) in the oven as it preheats.  Make your batter. I add I tsp of sugar. I like a little sweet but don't want cake batter. When oven is preheated put 2 table spoons of butter in the pan and let it melt. It should be sizzling. Pour in batter and put in oven.
This will make your crust and edges sweet, brown and crunchy good and leave your middle soft
Add a table spoon of bacon grease to make it even moar gooder.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, this man knows how to cook.

Add a bit of kosher or sea salt to the top before baking

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a very good recipe.
It's moist and has a nice flavor. I often add corn kernels also. I use a cast iron pan to cook it in and it leaves a nice outside crust but you don't have to do that.
I've done it with both white and yellow corn meal and notice no difference.
I'd love to get a real "corny" corn meal if someone can recommend a good brand.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Put a can of chili beans in the middle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sugar and cinnamon? That's called cake, not cornbread.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WAT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

sugar and cinnamon

WAT

No, shit.

OP, I see you're from Michigan but you ain't got to act like a Yankee!

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Put a can of chili beans in the middle.
View Quote

Why? You eat cornbread with beans anyways.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

and then cook it in a skillet like pancakes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Real cornbread has buttermilk, an egg, and corn meal.  It don't come out of a box and it don't have sugar and it sure don't have cinnamon.  Now, after it's cooked right, it's real good with butter melted on it and covered with Sorghum Syrup.  Of course, that's after you ate the first piece with your beans and greens.

Sugar and cinnamon?  WTF?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, you could make cornbread casserole. Cornbread mix as mixed per instructions plus creamed corn, and a thick layer of cheddar on top.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Real cornbread has buttermilk, an egg, and corn meal.  It don't come out of a box and it don't have sugar and it sure don't have cinnamon.  Now, after it's cooked right, it's real good with butter melted on it and covered with Sorghum Syrup.  Of course, that's after you ate the first piece with your beans and greens.

View Quote

It doesn't have baking powder in it? How does it rise?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#17]
A whole lot of WTF in this thread, cornbread don't have sugar or cinnamon or any of that other shit, put a cast iron skillet on a burner with a big spoon full of bacon grease, mix your cornmeal and a small amount of flour, eggs, buttermilk and salt and pepper. Mix pour in skillet still on heat, cook for a minute and bake in oven at 450 til brown on top.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Roast a couple of Jalapeño or Serrano chiles. (I use a propane torch.)   Peel the skin off.  Discard the seeds and mince them up.  Add that to the cornbread.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I left out some ingredients.  I make the biscuits, not the cornbread, but I do know it's not supposed to be cake.

The cast iron pans used for cornbread end up with the best seasoning layer.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#20]
We always keep some jiffy cornbread mix for something in a pinch.

I add about a tablespoon of honey and some crushed red pepper flakes and then let it sit for about 5 minutes before putting it in a pan.

The key is to not overcook it and I will also throw a towel over it after popping it out of the pan to help to keep it from drying out.

Sometimes I will make it with a mini muffin pan.  Works good that way if you like "end pieces" and the kids like them that way too.  Also makes for easy leftovers in a small ziplock with less mess.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

WAT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sugar and cinnamon

WAT

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, I left out some ingredients.  I make the biscuits, not the cornbread, but I do know it's not supposed to be cake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

WAT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sugar and cinnamon

WAT

Yeah, WTF. Your making cake not cornbread.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#24]
OP is a Yankee that thinks cake is cornbread.

This is cornbread - thin and fried

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I am a Yankee....sorry,  but I know what I like.   Yes, I've had awesome corn bread while in the south,  and even my favorite while at a place up here in Michigan from a place called Bad Brads that is smoked.  Just trying to do a simple/lazy oven type.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am a Yankee....sorry,  but I know what I like.   Yes, I've had awesome corn bread while in the south,  and even my favorite while at a place up here in Michigan from a place called Bad Brads that is smoked.  Just trying to do a simple/lazy oven type.
View Quote

Don't worry about it. Those are the same people that eat those cheese straw abominations.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#27]
As for sweet cornbread, I like cornbread sticks like that.  Almost like cake.

Now, as to your dry cornbread issue, there is a pretty simple fix.

Bacon.

Yes, the solution to almost any food issue.

So, fry up about a half pound of bacon, nice and crisp.  Remove the bacon, leave the grease.

Mix up you batter, add a bit extra milk.  You use milk, right?  Put the skillet with the bacon grease into the hot oven for about 10 minutes, or until the grease starts to smoke a bit.

While you are waiting, crumble the bacon and add it to the batter.

Now, take the skillet out.  Pour the hot grease into the batter, mix in with the crumbled bacon.  Dump the batter into the hot skillet and bake the cornbread as usual.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
add butter
View Quote

Yes.

Make beans.  Spice beans and sausage.  
Pour over cornbread.

But Cornbread with butter and some salt is yummy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Blasphemy, cornbread from a package.
Buttermilk and a egg for moisture.
Real Cracklin bread doesn't use bacon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

And save a piece for later at night so you can crumple it up in a glass of buttermilk and eat it with a spoon.  (Miss you, Gramma)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Can of Rotel drained
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cream corn and green chilies go great in corn bread.
View Quote

Or diced red peppers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#37]
To get good cornbread, you need good cornmeal. You won't find that in the box at the store, either.  You're really not saving much time using a boxed mix, why bother? There are only a few ingredients and any half decent cook should have them on hand.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Where's our retired U.S.N. chiefs and whatnots?  Navy bean soup on top of course.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Where's our retired U.S.N. chiefs and whatnots?  Navy bean soup on top of course.
View Quote

Mmm...  Navy beans, crock pot, pig tails. Mmm
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#40]
bacon/green chilis or jalapenos is pretty tasty in cornbread
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Reminds me of my mothers.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Fuck using Milk.

Buttermilk or Cream, and it wont be dry.

Cream corn works, but nobody really knows what goes into canned Cream corn...so YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
And save a piece for later at night so you can crumple it up in a glass of buttermilk and eat it with a spoon.  (Miss you, Gramma)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had many a meal of just cornbread and buttermilk.  Seventy-five years ago folks ate that because that's all they had, but they grew to love it.  Then they taught us to love it too even though we had more variety in the cupboard.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Cut up pieces of hatch chilies....little honey...Yummmm
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Where the recipe calls for oil, use bacon fat.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to sweeten it up just spread a little butter and honey on it after it is served.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I just use the recipe out of the tried and true betty crocker cookbook.  

Works fine.  Sometimes I'll adjust it; diced green chile pepper and some shredded cheese, or just adding sugar for a slightly sweet taste.  Almost always give a good pinch of cayenne.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Hand full of cheddar cheese and a few diced jalepanoes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I want to cook every suggested recipie in this this thread and eat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I vary mine, sometimes some corn or creamed corn, chili powder, cheddar, chilies, honey, bacon, fried and diced ham......just whatever sounds and tastes good at the time. Served with beans, chili, ham and collards...????
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top