Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2017 8:48:52 PM EDT
why is it if I cook anything in a pan the side that's bottom down first comes out a beautiful golden brown and consistent in color. I flip and that side doesn't develop the same nice color or texture that the other side did? I'm talking pancakes,porkchops etc.. 
What am I doing wrong?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What am I doing wrong?
View Quote

Not flipping it back to the nice side before serving.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The first side has taken the stored heat and turned it into a nice char. Unless you're using cast iron which holds its heat by the time you flip that initial oomph is gone.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Lack of heat.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]
lift pancake, add butter, flip pancake. The butter transfers the heat - you soaked it all up on the first side.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Use a griddle.  Maintains temperature better. Put it off for decades. I was hard headed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
so add a little fat and turn up the heat?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not flipping it back to the nice side before serving.
View Quote

I Lol'd

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first side has taken the stored heat and turned it into a nice char. Unless you're using cast iron which holds its heat by the time you flip that initial oomph is gone.
View Quote

This. Also if you are flipping to the same spot there may be no oil on the pan anymore.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Shit like this makes this place worth the time spent here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The first side pulled the heat out of the pan.

Turn heat up, use heavier larger pan, crowd pan less.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
"so add a little fat and turn up the heat? "

That's what she said... she does, when she grills my sandwiches.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm picking up what you're laying down.

Sometimes the side that's not in contact with the pan can form moisture due to heat pushing it from the bottom. When that side hits the pan the water, which soaks up huge amounts of BtU cools the pan and then you have less than desirable Maillard reactions.

Like others said, mo fat mo btu.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]
just cook everything in a george forman grill. that way both sides are the first side.

problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:13:14 AM EDT
[#14]
This is precisely why the "presentation side" hits the pan first.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Move anything to a different, hotter side of the pan/grill. If you flip it straight over, you've already stolen the heat from that spot. If you're doing a steak on a hot grill and looking for the perfect 'diamonds', every flip and turn should be to a new (hot) part of the grill grate. Same for a skillet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top