Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/27/2009 8:42:26 AM EDT
My wife and children are baptized and confirmed catholics. I'm a lifelong christian (southern baptist), and i agree with most of what catholicism stands for, and am considering conversion. Can any of you catholics give me any insight into why I should convert, as opposed to just being a regular "vanilla christian" ?

ex_mil
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#1]

WElp, i better keep me mouth shut cuz i dont wanna get a coc.

I went to a catholic school and it was that experience that made me become a protestant. Does that help at all?
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#2]
coc
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a Christian who was born and raised Catholic, went agnostic, then fundamentalist, back to agnostic, almost to atheist, and am now happily a Catholic again.

The best advice I can offer you is not to place the importance on which religion you choose to follow, but rather the FAITH underpinning the religion.

Despite the sometimes contentious back-and-forth, neither Catholicism nor Protestantism has a monopoly on the Lord or His Word, so follow the Word first, and then simply choose the church that makes you and your family feel the most welcome and the mnost in tune with the Word.

If you DO choose to come to the RCC, let me be the first to say WELCOME! We may not be perfect, but we've certainly learned a few things since the days I was in Catholic grade school. We're not the idol-worshipping child-molesting heathens some claim us to be.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#4]
This thread will end... poorly.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You gotta like touching little boys first.

Well I was going to go with the "you wouldn't have to read Bible anymore" or "you just follow whoever has the biggest hat since that's the order of importance" jokes, but that's kinda harsh...

OP, you may request this to be moved to the religion forum if you are serious and want to weed out the GD remarks.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
You gotta like touching little boys first.

Well I was going to go with the "you wouldn't have to read Bible anymore" or "you just follow whoever has the biggest hat since that's the order of importance" jokes, but that's kinda harsh...  

...as well as untrue.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife and children are baptized and confirmed catholics. I'm a lifelong christian (southern baptist), and i agree with most of what catholicism stands for, and am considering conversion. Can any of you catholics give me any insight into why I should convert, as opposed to just being a regular "vanilla christian" ?

ex_mil

What do you mean by 'vanilla Christian'?

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am a Christian who was born and raised Catholic, went agnostic, then fundamentalist, back to agnostic, almost to atheist, and am now happily a Catholic again.

The best advice I can offer you is not to place the importance on which religion you choose to follow, but rather the FAITH underpinning the religion.

Despite the sometimes contentious back-and-forth, neither Catholicism nor Protestantism has a monopoly on the Lord or His Word, so follow the Word first, and then simply choose the church that makes you and your family feel the most welcome and the mnost in tune with the Word.

If you DO choose to come to the RCC, let me be the first to say WELCOME! We may not be perfect, but we've certainly learned a few things since the days I was in Catholic grade school. We're not the idol-worshipping child-molesting heathens some claim us to be.

I thank you for your candor. I believe in the lord, but would really enjoy more involvement in going to church with the rest of my family (RCC). I like the adherence and routine of the church. I feel there is comfort to be had in that, but also rigidity of faith that follws from it....

ex_mil
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thank you for your candor. I believe in the lord, but would really enjoy more involvement in going to church with the rest of my family (RCC). I like the adherence and routine of the church. I feel there is comfort to be had in that, but also rigidity of faith that follws from it....

ex_mil

I have mentioned in other threads that one of the things that I like about the RCC is the grandeur, which is the kind of thing you would expect to see in the House of God. There is a grace and a majesty to it that just seems right...

OTOH, I have to admit to sometimes missing a good old-fashioned fire-and-brimstone-laced sermon from a Fundamentalist.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ex_mil

I mean by that, that I consider myself a christian, not specifically by denomination... i.e. baptist, protestant, lutheran, etc.

ex_mil
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ex_mil

I mean by that, that I consider myself a christian, not specifically by denomination... i.e. baptist, protestant, lutheran, etc.

ex_mil

Would it surprise you to know that, when asked my religion, I say "Christian" first?

After all, I worship Christ, not His Church.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm fairly certain that there isn't a sect of Christianity anywhere on the planet that is doing things 100% right. Your faith is just that, and you should neither be concerned with anyone else's view of it, nor should anyone question you about it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#13]
IM sent
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well put. I just coverted over to catholicism. There seems to be a lot of hate for catholics. Dont let it bother you.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ex_mil

ex_mil

'vanilla christian' sounds like a pretty good place to be, then. Edited...VA-gunnut

Whatever you do, read some church history before you join the RCC. I'd highly recommend Justo Gonzalez's 'The Story of Christianity'.

http://www.christianbook.com/story-christianity-one-volume-edition/justo-gonzalez/9781565635227/pd/35221

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well put. I just coverted over to catholicism. There seems to be a lot of hate for catholics. Dont let it bother you.

There is, and I deeply regret it.

Neither the Catholics nor the Protestants have behaved in an entirely Christian manner across the centuries. Luther's well-meant questions were met with a response of men protecting their power rather than Christians seeking the Truth. The result put blood on the hands of both sides.

The thing that bothers me so much is that I feel equally at home in a Baptist service or a Catholic Mass. Isn't the cross on the wall the same thing?

But sadly, some still cling to old beliefs of the RCC, and the Pope has not seen fit to readdress some of the earlier Church pronouncements. On the flip side, "preachers" have gone to great lengths to blatantly lie about what the RCC teaches and practices, and in both cases too many followers have simply gone along with it.

Christ is going to be mighty pissed off at the lot of us when He shows up again...
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut

Sigh.

QED.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut

Sigh.

QED.

He probably says the same thing about anyone who doesn't go to his church.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#19]
We make the best beer, have the best schoolgirl uniforms and if we could put the two together it'd be an awesome party!

Joking aside, look at it as an educational issue rather than a faith/religious issue.  I'll explain.

God knows your heart and I doubt He places a whole lot of importance on exactly how you worship.  It doesn't really matter what brand of Christian you call yourself - we're all the same brand of human, right?  So look at it as what the Church has to offer to you and what you can give to the community.  Especially if you feel that growth in your faith can help you be a better father and husband, I'd say it's worth it.

Most of my family is Catholic but we have a few outliers.  I have an uncle who converted to Judaism and a few cousins who went to other flavors of Christianity.  In every case, it has been a journey to learn more about themselves and their faith.  Sometimes that journey leads us on different paths, but I think the destination is all the same.  Certainly, the purpose of the journey is the same.

I could go on about the benefits, but really that's inconsequential compared to how you see yourself, spiritually.  If you think that your path might lead through the Church, then by all means walk it.

Try not to get too caught up in how much your family might appreciate it, what you can give to the community and so on.  Do it for yourself and do it for the education/growth.  That's my take at least.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I am a Southern Baptist and would not even consider it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

<Shrug>

I learned long ago that I am hardly in a position to judge the faith of another person, including those who don't share my personal beliefs. I may have my OPINIONS, but I am very careful to remember that God will most likely not resemble ANYTHING we think He will.

Whatever. If some wish to think ill of me for my religious choices, more power to them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Your life you do what you want.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I was babtised methodist and confirmed Presbyterian.

Before I married my wife (who is a Catholic) we disccussed this.  I said I will not even think about converting until after we are married b/c I would only want to do it if I felt it was right and I believed it in my heart.  She said OK, but she wanted the kids raised Catholic.

The children are 21 years old,18 years old, and 8 monthes.  I have always gone to church with them b/c my belief told me being in church together as a family was more important than my personal feelings.  I have never converted (and at this point I doubt I will).  I can't accept the communion miracle truly happens on the alter (which to convert I would have to say I truly believew it).  So there you go.  We always go as a family, and always to a RCC b/c I my wife and children, but, I carry my personal belief and I find that is in no way harmed my attending the Catholic church..

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Do you believe in transubstantiation? (Link)
If not, you are not a catholic...
I was baptized/raised catholic but could never wrap my head around this concept so now I am, as you state, a vanilla Christian

There are a bunch of other little things such as the Hierarchy of the church that I don't agree with.
If you're okay with all the idiosyncrasies of Catholicism go for it.

I love the traditional aspects of the church, but they are getting more modern everyday... also one reason I got away from it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Many people in many mainstream christian churches are recovering Catholics that finally read the Bible and got it right. My wife is one of them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut

Sigh.

QED.

*Yawn*.

Two of our resident theologians, weighing in again....

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I can't accept the communion miracle truly happens on the alter (which to convert I would have to say I truly believew it).  So there you go.  

Don't feel bad. I wonder about it, too. Hell, I wonder if there's a God at all, sometimes.

There's a reason I chose Thomas as my Confirmation name...
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<Shrug>

I learned long ago that I am hardly in a position to judge the faith of another person, including those who don't share my personal beliefs. I may have my OPINIONS, but I am very careful to remember that God will most likely not resemble ANYTHING we think He will.

You sure didn't learn that from Scripture, because it teaches something very different.

Whatever. If some wish to think ill of me for my religious choices, more power to them.  

Thanks for giving me permission to beleive the truth.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Many people in many mainstream christian churches are recovering Catholics that finally read the Bible and got it right. My wife is one of them.

Yeah, because Catholics have never read the Bible....
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We make the best beer, have the best schoolgirl uniforms and if we could put the two together it'd be an awesome party!

Joking aside, look at it as an educational issue rather than a faith/religious issue.  I'll explain.

God knows your heart and I doubt He places a whole lot of importance on exactly how you worship.  

You didn't get that opinion from Scripture. The God described in Scripture does care a great deal how we worship, thank you.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#31]
this will be another great opportunity for the board's "Christians" to illustrate just how Christ-like they can really be.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Catholicism is a sacramental religion - it finds deep value and meaning in sacraments and tradition - it is led by the scripture and faithful tradition, not by contemporary values or morals.

It's a serious, deeply-rooted religion focused on the life, death and resurrection of Christ and that by following Christ, we come closer to God.

The Church leadership is highly literate, intelligent and deep thinking. It will have thinking and questioning, and relying on your faith where no other answers can be found.

Catholicism recognizes that we serve God by serving our fellow man, as Christ did. The Church recognizes that all of creation is sacred and there is meaning in all which points to God the creator.

Catholicism also sees that there is an unbroken continuity of spritual life, from before birth, through life and beyond death. It teaches that we are spiritual beings first and foremost, we belong to God and we are created good in his image.

It is also a Paternalistic religion with a single leader who occupies the head of the Church here on earth in the footsteps of Jesus and then Peter, who was the first leader of the Church. It is the oldest Christian religion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You sure didn't learn that from Scripture, because it teaches something very different.

Perhaps, but Scripture also teaches to hold yourself in humility before God and to not judge by standards you don't want yourself held to, therefore I do and don't, respectively.

Funny you should take my comment that way, as if you needed my permission anyway.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
this will be another great opportunity for the board's "Christians" to illustrate just how Christ-like they can really be.

Exactly what do you know about being 'Christ-like'?

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CERTAINLY more than you know about Catholicisim.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't fathom why a Christian would want to join the RCC. If you have genuine Christianity, you don't need false religion on top of it.

Sigh.

QED.

He doesn't consider Catholics to be Christians.  Actually, he only counts as "Christians" those who adhere to his idea of Christianity.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Catholicism is a sacramental religion - it finds deep value and meaning in sacraments and tradition - it is led by the scripture and faithful tradition, not by contemporary values or morals.

It's a serious, deeply-rooted religion focused on the life, death and resurrection of Christ and that by following Christ, we come closer to God.

The Church leadership is highly literate, intelligent and deep thinking. It will have thinking and questioning, and relying on your faith where no other answers can be found.

Catholicism recognizes that we serve God by serving our fellow man, as Christ did. The Church recognizes that all of creation is sacred and there is meaning in all which points to God the creator.

Catholicism also sees that there is an unbroken continuity of spritual life, from before birth, through life and beyond death. It teaches that we are spiritual beings first and foremost, we belong to God and we are created good in his image.

It is also a Paternalistic religion with a single leader who occupies the head of the Church here on earth in the footsteps of Jesus and then Peter, who was the first leader of the Church. It is the oldest Christian religion.

Well put.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps, but Scripture also teaches to hold yourself in humility before God and to not judge by standards you don't want yourself held to, therefore I do and don't, respectively.

Funny you should take my comment that way, as if you needed my permission anyway.

So you're one of those folks who takes Matthew 7:1 as a license to ignore truth......it's convenient, isn't it?

We're commanded not to judge each other over petty, secondary issues. However, we're also commanded to judge righteous judgments, guard our doctrine with our lives, mark those who cause divisions contrary to sound doctrine (whhich includes the entire RCC...) and so on.

How do you manage to so gleefully embrace Matthew 7:1, but not these other things?

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CERTAINLY more than you know about Catholicisim.

You just keep on thinking that, mmkay?

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm just gonna go ahead and leave this here. Link this is a download, it's a defense of the Catholic views on communion and the Eucharist. The speaker is a former Southern Baptist who hated the RCC so much that he studied it in depth, which led him to his eventual conversion into the Catholic Church.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He doesn't consider Catholics to be Christians.  Actually, he only counts as "Christians" those who adhere to his idea of Christianity.

There's only one person in the universe whose opinion I worry about regarding my being a Christian or not.

When I see Him, I will fall at His feet and hope to hear, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I would never trade my ability to approach the throne of God through Jesus Christ for rituals and telling some guy in a box (who may or may not be doing whatever behind the curtain) my sins....What a joke to trade the real deal for rituals..
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ex_mil

I have mentioned in other threads that one of the things that I like about the RCC is the grandeur, which is the kind of thing you would expect to see in the House of God. There is a grace and a majesty to it that just seems right...

OTOH, I have to admit to sometimes missing a good old-fashioned fire-and-brimstone-laced sermon from a Fundamentalist.

Oh you can still get one of those with us, you just gotta find one of the older padres when he's feelin' froggy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<Shrug>

Luke 6
36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't fathom why a Christian would want to join the RCC. If you have genuine Christianity, you don't need false religion on top of it.

Sigh.

QED.

He doesn't consider Catholics to be Christians.

How is it that you can lie so freely and not be bothered by it?

I've stated - until I was tired of stating it - that I don't see religious affiliation as a test of genuine covversion. Read the Beatitudes. Read the book of 1 John. Therein you'll find tests for whether someone has been genuinely converted. There's little mention of denominational affiliation.

Actually, he only counts as "Christians" those who adhere to his idea of Christianity.

If that was true, how could I continue to fellowship with methodists, primitive baptists, general baptists, presbyterians, quakers, AoG'ers, CoG'ers, non-denoms, anglicans, and so on?

Seriously, how can you lie so blatantly and not be bothered by it? Are you sure you're born again?

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the train wreck this turned into...

Some of you guys are wound up way too tight about which version of which interpretation you claim to follow and why it's not only different but intrinsically better than anybody else's take on the exact same thing.

I know Catholicism is this evil spectre that some preachers like to harp about (I once had a preacher tell me with absolute seriousness that the Pope is an evil minion of the devil, clearly evidenced because of his mitre.  F'real.) but I always just figured that was just a claptrap.  You guys really get bent out of shape about us, huh?  
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am a Southern Baptist and would not even consider it.

thanks for contributing NOTHING!
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<Shrug>

Luke 6
36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Great! Someone else who takes Matthew 7:1 and throws out everything else?

How can you agree to "I am very careful to remember that God will most likely not resemble ANYTHING we think He will" if you've read Scripture, which DOES describe what God is like?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top