Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2003 6:38:55 AM EST
about 4:15 AM this morning my computer went nuts. I was sound asleep when I heard the modem crank up and dial. it did it all by itself. I have not been on the machine in the last 24 hrs and it was in "standby mode" the monitor was off. the modem connected and the hard drive began to flash. I tried to turn on the monitor, the green light came on but the screen stayed black. I shutdown the power and repowered it up and everything seemed ok. so what happened? do I have a virus that calls out when I am asleep? sounds like I need to place a call to Art Bell.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:57:01 AM EST
Do you have virus software? If so, make sure its definitions are up to date and then let it run a full scan of everything. If not, get one. Otherwise.....Now I'm not insinuating anything, but have you been to any 'adult' sites recently? Some of them will actually install a dialer behind your back. I've never heard of them dialing from a Standby, but hey... Otherwise, yeah, Art would be a good start.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:57:19 AM EST
It could be a virus or it could be a legitimate application that thought it needed to connect to the Internet for some reason, e.g. check email, get updated time from a standard clock, etc., or possibly "spyware" attempting to report marketing data to its owners. Take inventory of what you think is running on the machine. Are you running anti-virus software? How about anti-spyware? See [url]http://www.lavasoft.nu/index.html[/url] for a good spyware killer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:06:20 AM EST
We set some of our anti-virus software to run late at night so we don't have to deal with it during business hours. It will dial up to get new virus descriptions if the descriptions are outdated and will check for new updates by itself. Check your task manager/scheduler (if you're on windows) and you will probably find what caused it. It can be stopped by deleting it from the list.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:07:05 AM EST
Sometimes, if you have a dial up networking session going and disconnect, the software will attpemt to "auto-connect". There is usually a provision for disabling this feature. Typically, it can be triggered by a page trying to refresh itself and finding no connection. If you poke around in the coms directory, there may be a modem log that will let you see where it tried to dial.
Top Top