Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 5:54:23 AM EDT
Damn, it has been cold in the office for a while now.  its' about 65 in here now and i am shivering.
most of the time i wear long sleeves or flannel shirts.  
we can't adjust the thermostat to make it warmer because other offices that have windows will get too hot.
i can't put an electric heater in the office to warm it up.  (office rules)
i hate putting on a sweater when it's 95 deg. outside and taking it off to walk down the hall.
the problem is i have a vent in my office and it services about 3 others so i get all the cold.

i am thinking of something like a 200 watt bulb or a heating pad to warm up my little ice box.
got any ideas?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a little electric heater. Yes, its against company rules but when I put it under my desk the little digi thermo on it says 63.
63 fucking degrees! Management can kiss my ass on their rules. When they get it to 68-72 (The company approved range) we can talk. Until then, they can pound sand.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#2]
55 gallon drum + wood + fire.

It works for the hobos.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep--turn up the electric heater!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:58:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you block the vent?  Like put your trash can in front of it?

Otherwise, I'd buy a sweatshirt and stash it in your desk for whenever you get cold.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe you should go ask this in the Survival Forum.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds about like my office.  They keep it at about 70 degrees, but all the women who work here feel like they're freezing all the time, and every one of them has a sweater and a personal space heater under their desk.  So we get the epic battle of the AC system vs 20 space heaters.  I have no idea what kind of power our office uses.  

Plus, whenever I have to work on one of their PCs, I either feel like my pant legs are going to catch fire, or God forbid I have to crawl under their desks, then I feel like that dude with the glasses at the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]
buy a toaster oven, you can keep warm and make food at the same time, you will be the hit of the office
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#9]
DUCT TAPE  the vents.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Hire a hot secretary to sit on your lap.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Burn your co-workers
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#12]
There are some air activated heating pad wraps that last for 8 hours or so on the market.  It would cost you 2-3 bucks per day, but they work great.  I use them on my lower back on occasion.  In reality the only good cheap option you have is to wear extra clothes and put pressure on your building manager to fix the temperature problem in your office.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Electric socks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#14]
A blankie?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Draw down on the thermostat.

Yay! 200 posts!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#16]
a couple AMD computers, and some 19" Crt monitors will do the trick
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Build a fire in your ashtray!

It also works well when you are waiting and waiting and waiting for your check at a restraunt....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
DUCT TAPE  the vents.

Yet another use for the miracle tape.  But I was going to say get one of those little magnetic vent covers, they are a couple of bucks at home depot, and you can put it on and off easily, adjust the flow gap, whatever.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
DUCT TAPE  the vents.

I hate to say this because I LOVE DUCT TAPE. Not the right tool for the job. I needed to block off some vent an didnt want anyone else to know it so I use packing tape. Not the packing tape with fibers in it, the CLEAR paking tape .

If you cover the whole vent and do it right no one will be able to tell. It got to be wrinkle free and no holes, if you have any holes it will make noise when the blower comes on.

This is fun is summer and the office has a south facing window. HOT HOT HOT
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sounds about like my office.  They keep it at about 70 degrees, but all the women who work here feel like they're freezing all the time, and every one of them has a sweater and a personal space heater under their desk.  So we get the epic battle of the AC system vs 20 space heaters.  I have no idea what kind of power our office uses.  

Plus, whenever I have to work on one of their PCs, I either feel like my pant legs are going to catch fire, or God forbid I have to crawl under their desks, then I feel like that dude with the glasses at the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc.

HAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DUCT TAPE  the vents.

Yet another use for the miracle tape.  But I was going to say get one of those little magnetic vent covers, they are a couple of bucks at home depot, and you can put it on and off easily, adjust the flow gap, whatever.

Yep, that's it.

I'm so sick of the people at my office. Everyone starts squealing once it gets down below 75°. We've got the weenies with space heaters and arctic parkas here too.

"It's toooo coooooold!"

"It's toooo hoooot!"

"Adjust my veeeeent!"

"It's tooooo nooooiiisy!"

We had one girl in accounting that would freak out because of the noise her A/C vent was making. It was just a slight metal-on-metal tapping noise that would happen about every 20 minutes. It was so faint you HAD to specifically listen for it. She pitched a blue fit up one end of the building and down the other about that noise for a few days. We had a guy spend 4 hours in there trying to track down what was rattling so he could stop it. He had to get up on a ladder and stick his ear next to the vent just to hear it, and she's always squealing about how noisy it is.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A blanky?

+1...wool...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Request an air balance.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay here we go - I worked in a computer room for about twenty years or so on the swing shift. You can't adjust the temp cause it is set at a specific temp all the time. (68 degrees) Well it gets really cold when you sit all the time so I started doing pushups and situps just to stay warm. End result was that I was in the best shape of my life and I was warm. So, just stop what you are doing every so often and pop off twenty pushups followed by that same amount of situps. Repeat as needed.

BTW - pay no attention to the folks in your office that laugh at you behind their hands, they mean well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top