Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2015 9:48:03 AM EDT
Just an FYI to those who get annoyed at questions they deem stupid.  Providing snide and snarky answers is not helpful at all, is unprofessional, and may cost you your job.

have a colleague that 9 times out of 10 when asked a question that she deems stupid will give some kind of snarky, unhelpful response..Generally I go out of my way to not bother anyone, trying to find answers on my own but when I hit a wall (which is rare but does happen), I will reach out and ask a question asking for help.  I've learned to avoid asking this particular woman anything at all as she just acts like such a bitch when you approach her for help with anything.

There was one other person that had this type of behavior, and I guess people got tired of it as one day she was let go due to the amount of complaints about her rudeness.

I get asked stupid shit all day long, and go out of my way to be polite and professional in my replies.  TBH thats really what being professional is about.  There are times I am asked something that was explained in a previously sent email, and I could go back to my sent mail folder and resend the email along with a reply that says "I explained it here", but at the end of the day it's just easier to answer the persons question instead of trying to prove a point.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:52:27 AM EDT
Fire her ass now...tell her that she's creating a toxic work environment that is affecting the morale of all her coworkers.

"No BMW's Here" (Bitch-Moan-Whiners)
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:55:04 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
Fire her ass now...tell her that she's creating a toxic work environment that is affecting the morale of all her coworkers.

"No BMW's Here" (Bitch-Moan-Whiners)
View Quote

I don't have that power...

I just limit my interactions with her..

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:57:39 AM EDT
Read some Sun Tzu and utilize that in the work place.

Works well.

Max
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:58:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By maxell27:

Works well.

Max
View Quote

im open to that..any specific suggestion?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:08:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By glocke12:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Works well.

Max

I've practically memorized his teachings from several translations and I fail to see the application here...unless you intend to behead the bitch or one of her coworkers.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:08:55 AM EDT

I've practically memorized his teachings from several translations and I fail to see the application here...unless you intend to behead the bitch or one of her coworkers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Works well.

Max

im open to that also
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:13:10 AM EDT
I find that calling people out in a polite manner is pretty satisfying in these cases. When someone gives me an unnecessarily snide or rude reply, I like to ask:

"Why did you just answer me in that way?"

One of two things generally happen:

1. They get all embarrassed, look down and start mumbling, or

2. They outright blow up and lose it, which is entertaining for everyone around and lets everyone see exactly what they are.

Occasionally, one will actually show some remorse and humility and apologize. To those, I always tell them it's OK and not to worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:41:21 AM EDT
I am retired US Navy, and very well versed in sarcasm and I do answer back with smart ass answers quite often. But, it is usually amongst friendly coworkers and they all know we are just busting stones. I have done a 3 year tour as an instructor for SATCOM Maintenance, and was told that there are no stupid questions. They were wrong. When a student has been instructed and remediated repeatedly, there are stupid fucking questions. I don't hold back on the "no child left behind" types. I am not saying that I am super smart or anything, but damn.....how many times do they need to be told?

Now when my kids are bringing in groceries and they come in the house holding a bag of ice or a gallon of milk and ask "where do you want me to put this?" the answer is and always will be "in the fucking oven.....where do you think you should put it?" I hope that the next time they are bringing in a bag of ice, BEFORE they ask me where to put it, they THINK about it, realize they don't want to look like a dumbass, apply just a pinch of common sense and figure it out for themselves.

Don't want to be treated like a window licker? Don't act like one....

Chris
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:42:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2015 12:07:10 PM EDT by glocke12]
Originally Posted By saigaswithcher:
I am retired US Navy, and very well versed in sarcasm and I do answer back with smart ass answers quite often. But, it is usually amongst friendly coworkers and they all know we are just busting stones. I have done a 3 year tour as an instructor for SATCOM Maintenance, and was told that there are no stupid questions. They were wrong. When a student has been instructed and remediated repeatedly, there are stupid fucking questions. I don't hold back on the "no child left behind" types. I am not saying that I am super smart or anything, but damn.....how many times do they need to be told?

Now when my kids are bringing in groceries and they come in the house holding a bag of ice or a gallon of milk and ask "where do you want me to put this?" the answer is and always will be "in the fucking oven.....where do you think you should put it?" I hope that the next time they are bringing in a bag of ice, BEFORE they ask me where to put it, they THINK about it, realize they don't want to look like a dumbass, apply just a pinch of common sense and figure it out for themselves.

Don't want to be treated like a window licker? Don't act like one....

Chris
View Quote

Ball busting is different than being a bitch.  I know the difference.  

.mil environment is different than corporate pharma.

Lastly, there are no stupid questions.  I tell everyone if in doubt ASK.  It's better to ask than go ahead and fuck up.

For myself, I only ask for clarification after I've exhaisted all other sources.

ETA:  re-read your post.  Yeah asking the same question over again is just retarded.
Top Top