Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/7/2006 11:35:47 PM EDT
My wife is hosting a co-ed baby shower tomorow.
There will games and prizes, moms and babies...and their husbands.
There will be gifts for the new mother AND father.

is this normal?

I plan to attempt to sneak all the men to the nearby indoor range.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Sweet Jesus.

is this normal?

Not around here.

That's a good plan.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Three words: Cigars and Scotch!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If they come they are teh ghey.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I ditched out on something like that about a month ago with my girlfriend.  She said "but you're invited" and I just looked at her.  Then she said "you're not going, are you", and I just looked at her.  They she made her way to the door to leave, and I poured myself a nice drink.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:37:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1 who ever heard of coed baby showers.  teh gheyzor
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Give me a break!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:19:27 AM EDT
[#7]
They appear to be pretty common today. If you ask me, it's a lot to ask of a man to sit through that BS.

I had to go to one, but that was only because it was for my wife.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:45:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Hand in your man card if you go along with this and collect the cards of any other men that show up

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:47:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Not this kid. Be a man and take a stand now, otherwise it's gonna be a long journey.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Is nothing sacred anymore.....
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:29:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:41:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hand in your man card if you go along with this and collect the cards of any other men that show up

dude no joke.

your new woman card will read Martha "cugir" stewart.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:46:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Fag meter currently pegged.

Must check for proper calibration.

Just checked.  Properly calibrated.  Definate fag.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:51:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I ditched out on something like that about a month ago with my girlfriend.  She said "but you're invited" and I just looked at her.  Then she said "you're not going, are you", and I just looked at her.  They she made her way to the door to leave, and I poured myself a nice drink.

I like that. Questions like that just don't deserve an answer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:58:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:21:54 AM EDT
[#16]
hey, now we had one when my wife was pregnant.  but, because of me, it was basically a big bbq with a fire and complete with much beer.  the only difference was that in one corner of the yard there was a picnic table with presents and couple balloons.  all the guys just stood over on one side and bullshitted drinkin beer.  it was alright.  had a couple friends get good and drunk.  if you do it like that-it ain't too bad.  i just had to go over when it was "time to open presents" and help the wifey open presents in front of everyone.  that was the most brutal part.  i survived.

jake
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:58:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm figuring richard simmons will be there as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#18]
It's called a 'Jack and Jill' shower, and yes, teh powerful ghey
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

Have an area for them to turn in their man card as they enter the door.

Seriously man, why would you let your wife do such a thing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:06:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Men have no place at a baby shower. If men are present it means we can't talk about them.

You all know women talk about you, right?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I think it's fine, as long as the activities are also co-ed.  That is, if they think I'm gonna sit around watching a bunch of cooing women open "darling" little presents, they are sadly mistaken.  I want red meat, beer, cigars, and something manly and entertaining.  For example, a gun collection to play with, or a John Wayne movie marathon, or a barbecue pit roiling with smoke.  If my wife (or somebody elses' wife) expects me to play some lame game with lace and doilies and pastel colors on it, I'm gone.  So in other words, my approval of said activity is only theoretical, since no baby shower in the history of baby showers has ever unfolded this way.

If you do attend a baby shower that is beer-, gun-, or John Wayne-free, then you have no balls.

PS  Why do women ask us to do this stuff?  Do they think we'll enjoy it?  I don't ask my wife to go hunting with me for a week, with no showering and cold treestands and profane stories swapped with my buddies in front of the fire.  I know she'd hate it, so I don't bother.  But for some reason they want us involved in their lame feminine crap.  I guess my wife knows better, but many of my buddies' wives don't.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
hey, now we had one when my wife was pregnant.  but, because of me, it was basically a big bbq with a fire and complete with much beer.  the only difference was that in one corner of the yard there was a picnic table with presents and couple balloons.  all the guys just stood over on one side and bullshitted drinkin beer.  it was alright.  had a couple friends get good and drunk.  if you do it like that-it ain't too bad.  i just had to go over when it was "time to open presents" and help the wifey open presents in front of everyone.  that was the most brutal part.  i survived.

jake

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#23]
It's gay, period.
It's a blatant attempt be women to cut off our balls.

Set up a different room with "cigars and scotch".
Play cards, fill the room with smoke.
It will keep the women out.

If it's outdoors, you know the drill.
Beer, grill, meats.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#24]

There will be gifts for the new mother AND father

granted I've enver been to one, but I always thought the gifts at baby showers were for the baby (baby clothes, baby sized wash tub, stroller, etc)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:52:59 AM EDT
[#25]
maybe all the husbands go out back on the patio and drink beer and cook burgers
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been to a few of these co-ed baby showers.

My group of friends includes some pretty hi testosterone guys so it typically ends up w/ all the tuna in 1 room doing there thing and us guys drinking / playing poker in the other.

In our group it's just a another reason for a BBQ w/ the exception BYOB ( bring your own babygift ).

As long as the guys are in control of what goes on its all good times.

Would I sit next to my gf for a couple hours listening to a bunch of women talk baby this & baby that .....  NO.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It's gay, period.

Beer, grill, meats.

That sums up MO and I don't feel like typing anymore.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Survey says!

Clang!  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#29]
My balls almost fell off just from reading this post.....
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Poor fellas.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#31]
All i have to say is WOW... if one of my good buddies wife was making him stay for a baby shower, I may go to kepp him company. But I think we would prolly head out to the grage, grab a door, 1 couple of 30's and play some beer pong.... Or mayber poker for shots...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I got dragged to one a couple years ago.  It backfired on the wimmen when all us guys started turning the air blue telling jokes and stories from our youth.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I've been to a few of these co-ed baby showers.

My group of friends includes some pretty hi testosterone guys so it typically ends up w/ all the tuna in 1 room doing there thing and us guys drinking / playing poker in the other.

In our group it's just a another reason for a BBQ w/ the exception BYOB ( bring your own babygift ).

As long as the guys are in control of what goes on its all good times.

Would I sit next to my gf for a couple hours listening to a bunch of women talk baby this & baby that .....  NO.

Even if I had gone to one, I wouldn't admit to going........even over the internet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Hell, no.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Ringaling, ringaling...it's the range calling. You're presence is needed immediately
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#36]
You might wanna think about getting some strippers (no, not the chippendale type).
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Your pimp hand is somewhat strong, but if stronger, she would have poured your drink before leaving.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#38]
All the cool metrosexuals are going to these things nowadays. Have fun with all the other ball-less males.

or....retain your manhood and tell her to pound sand and go to the gun range/saloon/ballgame/titty bar with your buddies.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
All the cool metrosexuals are going to these things nowadays.

Seriously, and they are making us true males look bad.  Woman dig it, but the hell if I am going to bend on this crap.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#40]
We had one at our house for a friend of my wife.  Disaster.  Couples showed up with their kids and proceeded to turn them loose in our house.  No supervision of the kids at all by any of the parents.  So I had to follow the kids around, take away knives they were extracting from our kitchen drawers etc.  One kid kept poking my dog in the eye until my dog finally bit him.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

is this normal?

My ex-wife's friends all got married before we did.  I went to more of these bullshit, girly events than any man should have to in a hundred lifetimes.

Good luck.

Did I emphasize EX-wife enough?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It's gay, period.

Beer, grill, meats.

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm the best man in my buddy's wedding this summer, and my mom went to the shower (non-coed, btw) today.  She asked me to check their registries on the interweb to see what was left, and she got angry when I suggested she pick up the DeWalt sawz-all from Sears
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

is this normal?

Run the hell away!
Go drink beer and watch a game fer cryin' out loud.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#45]
My wife just read this thread and does not see the light, She can clearly see that most men might object , at least here at arfcom.

She just walked in and rattled off this retort,

"Real men with balls can do a selfless act like go with their wife to a party. There will be challenging skill games like a carnival dart/ballon game, A fulll size arcade (MAME) cabinet, a baby tossing contest, baby races, and baby bottles with alcohol game. They should quit whining and go make their own fun in the corner. It's only 3 hours for christssake."
Then she came out and said "Don't reply to that bunch of ninnies."

I'm sending the father this thread link so maybe I can convince him to go to the range with the other men and I at least for an hour, my treat. I think that would go a long way to allevate teh ghey.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#46]
The only thing "co-ed" about a baby shower should be when the baby is male.

What's next, inviting the fiancee to the bachelor party?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'm the best man in my buddy's wedding this summer, and my mom went to the shower (non-coed, btw) today.  She asked me to check their registries on the interweb to see what was left, and she got angry when I suggested she pick up the DeWalt sawz-all from Sears

I love DeWalt tools.  I would greatly appreciate one as a gift.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

"Real men with balls can do a selfless act like go with their wife to a party. There will be challenging skill games like a carnival dart/ballon game, A fulll size arcade (MAME) cabinet, a baby tossing contest, baby races, and baby bottles with alcohol game. They should quit whining and go make their own fun in the corner. It's only 3 hours for christssake."
Then she came out and said "Don't reply to that bunch of ninnies."

Actually I'd rather go the the range myself.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#49]
My wife also wanted to make clear that the majority if not close to all of the gifts would be for the baby, not for the parents.

I misunderstood her.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
My wife also wanted to make clear that the majority if not close to all of the gifts would be for the baby, not for the parents.

I misunderstood her.

So that makes the gifts TOTALLY useless.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top