Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2017 9:45:21 AM EDT
This Wednesday(8/9) I begin to embark on my first of many trips to Moab. The girlfriend and I will join 5 of our good friends and meeting up with a few more from Colorado at our Gemini Bridges rendezvous point. We will spend a couple of days on Lockhart Basin Rd before our final night at Valley of The Gods. The next morning i will be departing from the group and head further south to catch the Grand Canyon, I've always wanted to see it, then off to Tucson(staying the night), Tombstone, White Sands, Roswell(staying the night) and finally high tail it home.

I will be bringing along 6 loaded usgi style mags for up to 3 people that catch us out and about on the road. Just to make it a fun little game for me.

Also any quick must see's along the second half of the trip would be awesome.

Now on to what you guys care about(because rules):
The lady
Attachment Attached File

The route'ish:
Attachment Attached File

The "rig":
2016 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Attachment Attached File

Toytec/Bilstien 3" lift (HD superflex rear springs and boss shocks in the rear)
285/70/17 AT3W
Gobi Stealth rack
Tepui Autana RTT
ARB 2000 awning
Rotopax fuel packs
Snomaster 42L fridge/freezer(gift from the lady for the trip)

We will be traveling with a few misfits:
Nissan Xterra pro4x
Toyota FJ
Jeep JKU

I'm pretty excited to test out the capabilities and the weak spots on the 4R during this trip. I'm probably more excited to embark on my biggest journey to date with the lady and some of my best friends. I will try and update this thread as we push forward on this trip if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a fun trip. We may be going by each other on the I-17 depending when you go by. Heading to Ark on the 14th.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sunset Crater Ntl Monument NE of Flagstaff off 89 is kinda of cool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sunset Crater Ntl Monument NE of Flagstaff off 89 is kinda of cool.
Will definitely try and fit that in. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Quoted:
Sounds like a fun trip. We may be going by each other on the I-17 depending when you go by. Heading to Ark on the 14th.
The 14th is our departure date for AZ. Plan to be in Tucson that evening.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Petrified Forest NP/Painted Desert (close to Grand Canyon).

Spend one night in Flagstaff. Very cool little town. Tucson is good too.

AZ is awesome. I could spend a lot of time there.

ETA
See that part of the trip between your place near Denton to ABQ? Unless you are into wind, dust and the aroma of cow shit there is FUCK ALL between those two locations. I'm talking so desolate and unappealing for hundreds of miles that you'll be praying for death.
But it gets better.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#5]
You'll have a blast!

We generally make it down to Moab at least once a year, granted were about 6 hours away so it's a relatively quick trip.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Try to do your meetups in out of the way locations.

Ain't nobody in the West wants the embarrassment of being seen talking to Texans.

J/k....  mostly...  partially...  a little.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA
See that part of the trip between your place near Denton to ABQ? Unless you are into wind, dust and the aroma of cow shit there is FUCK ALL between those two locations. I'm talking so desolate and unappealing for hundreds of miles that you'll be praying for death.
But it gets better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ETA
But it gets better.
I know that drive well, we did it a ton when I was a tour manager for a local band.

Quoted:
You'll have a blast!

We generally make it down to Moab at least once a year, granted were about 6 hours away so it's a relatively quick trip.
I would love to live within a short distance of that area, but i'd definitely get nothing done.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try to do your meetups in out of the way locations.

Ain't nobody in the West wants the embarrassment of being seen talking to Texans.

J/k....  mostly...  partially...  a little.
View Quote
That's why we do our meet ups out of state as well, we don't want to be banished.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Have a great trip
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out the Bisbee mine when you get near Tombstone it was cool, at least a long time ago it was
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have a great trip
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Have a great trip
Thanks bubba.

Quoted:
Check out the Bisbee mine when you get near Tombstone it was cool, at least a long time ago it was
I've looked into that a tad, I will make a game time decision depending on the amount of time we spend in Tombstone.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#12]
safe journey, post up some pics on T4R...
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Once I saw the expedition overland hat, i figured you were driving a Toyota.

I've got 60k miles on my 15 trd pro.. I really don't have any complaints other than I wish it had more power with roof racks, skid plates, sliders, etc.

Enjoy the trip, sounds great.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Based on where you will be in Utah, I would suggest the Browning factory museum.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I plan on it once we get back and review the footage and pictures

Quoted:
Once I saw the expedition overland hat, i figured you were driving a Toyota.

I've got 60k miles on my 15 trd pro.. I really don't have any complaints other than I wish it had more power with roof racks, skid plates, sliders, etc.

Enjoy the trip, sounds great.
I know the complaint. I seen Magnuson has finally released or will soon release the 5th gen supercharger. But would be cheaper to throw in a v8 i bet
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#16]
You suck....because its not me doing this.....

Would love to come out and play your game of Marco Polo but to break down cost per round of one of those loaded pmags would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 to $25 per....flight, rental car... etc
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You suck....because its not me doing this.....

Would love to come out and play your game of Marco Polo but to break down cost per round of one of those loaded pmags would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 to $25 per....flight, rental car... etc
View Quote
But it'd be so worth it!

I just thought it'd be a fun little game. "Spot the obnoxious 4Runner in the southwest"
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#18]
That's going to be a great trip. I go to Moab once a year and run trails in my 2012 4Runner trail edition with a 3" lift and Duratracs.

Hells revenge is close to town and tons of fun, and Fins n things is pretty cool too. You should try to do Top of the World trail. Your Toyota will be right at home and you probably won't need you locker there too much, unless you decide to get extreme (like Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim). Wish I could meet you out there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like a fun trip!  

I actually live around your neck of the woods down here.  Enjoy!  
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Coral Pink Sand Dunes.

Canyon de Chelly.  Especially "renting" a Navajo guide so you can 4-wheel in the canyon bottom.

Looking to do a similar route with the family sometime in the next few years.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome, I'm planning to go to Colorado and Utah next year with my 4R, hit all the trails  Interested to hear how it goes!

I've still got a big list of mods to complete before then...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks bubba.

I've looked into that a tad, I will make a game time decision depending on the amount of time we spend in Tombstone.
View Quote
If you are camping near Tombstone look into camping in the Huachuca Mountains. Tombstone is alright but I think bisbee is a better stop as the buildings are more original. I also think the bisbee mine tour is better the Tombstone's.  Also are you going to hit up kartchner caverns? I live in Sierra Vista so if you have any questions about the area feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#23]
That's a lot of country to see in 8 days. That said, have a safe trip and enjoy it. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#24]
like the pic of girl and the elevator tent

wish the best to both of you

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Lincoln County Courthouse isn’t too far off your route. Just head north when you hit Tularosa instead of east into Mescalero. Adds maybe an hour to your drive time.

It’s where Billy the kid killed two deputies during an escape.

Also, I’ll be meeting you in Las Cruces for any mags you have left.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lincoln County Courthouse isn’t too far off your route. Just head north when you hit Tularosa instead of east into Mescalero. Adds maybe an hour to your drive time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interdasting, will definitely look into that. Quite possible that'd be our dinner stop window that Wednesday evening.

Quoted:

If you are camping near Tombstone look into camping in the Huachuca Mountains. Tombstone is alright but I think bisbee is a better stop as the buildings are more original. I also think the bisbee mine tour is better the Tombstone's.  Also are you going to hit up kartchner caverns? I live in Sierra Vista so if you have any questions about the area feel free to ask.
By the time we depart utah, I'm going to be hotel'ing it up the rest of the way.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I was in Moab with my son in June. We tent camped on BLM land outside of Canyonlands NP. Did a good stretch of White Rim road, including Shaffer trail. We did a 2 week, 5200 mile road trip. Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Rocky Mountain NP, Arches and Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon. Camping and hotels. I suggest BLM campsites around Moab. The NP's weren't allowing camp fires. BLM's were. They are first come first serve, but inexpensive. I don't know if the road construction in Arches is still going on, but access from Moab was closed except on weekends. If you are going through Monument Valley, stop for a photo at Forrest Gump Point on 163 south of Mexican Hat.

Edit;

If you are hitting the Grand Canyon south rim, take the train excursion from Williams, AZ. It's a nice break from driving. Don't bother paying for first class. Coach is plenty comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was in Moab with my son in June. We tent camped on BLM land outside of Canyonlands NP. Did a good stretch of White Rim road, including Shaffer trail. We did a 2 week, 5200 mile road trip. Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Rocky Mountain NP, Arches and Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon. Camping and hotels. I suggest BLM campsites around Moab. The NP's weren't allowing camp fires. BLM's were. They are first come first serve, but inexpensive. I don't know if the road construction in Arches is still going on, but access from Moab was closed except on weekends. If you are going through Monument Valley, stop for a photo at Forrest Gump Point on 163 south of Mexican Hat.

Edit;

If you are hitting the Grand Canyon south rim, take the train excursion from Williams, AZ. It's a nice break from driving. Don't bother paying for first class. Coach is plenty comfortable.
View Quote
We plan on hitting the north side hoping its not as crawling with tourists as the NP area. I haven't planned the camping areas, that was another guy in the group. But I know a lot of the area is under restrictions for camp fires at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#29]
All loaded and gassed up, just waiting for the rest of the misfits to show up. Off to somewhere by Albuquerque for the first nights stop.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Godspeed
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#31]
And they're off!!! 

Hey, OP...it's really close to Hatch Chili season. Keep a lookout!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#32]
If a local points you toward the nude beach do NOT go. I repeat do NOT go to the local nude beach.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Have a great trip OP!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If a local points you toward the nude beach do NOT go. I repeat do NOT go to the local nude beach.
View Quote
Dang, the one thing I was looking forward to.. the ONE THING!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#35]
We made through Moab with no difficulties. Did Kane Creek Rd, Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners. We went in planning on doing Lockhart Basin Rd, but in the last few months it became too washed out.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool thread.

Stop in Texas at Guadalupe National Park and do some off roading  to visit  the Williams Ranch.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow dude, you are winning!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#39]
If you go to the north rim stop at Jacobs Lake for cookies and pie.   When passing through Farmington New Mexico hit up Aztec Ruins State Park and 1 hour south of Farmington is Chaco Canyon.  Also Had great food and beer at 3 Rivers Brewery in Farmington!  Blanding UT has a great museum at  Edge of the Cedars state park.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the recommendation, we just stopped in at GCNP real quick. The canyon ain't no joke. Even had a shirt for the occasion.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Fantastic Pics. It must have been a ball doing it with a group. We did the Island in The Sky section of Canyonlands. It looks pretty much exactly like your Pics.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#42]
UT 128, from Interstate 70 down into Moab has great scenery.   Not ideal on the route you posted this time, but for future reference it matches up very well with CO 550 which has breathtaking scenery and many Darwin-approved drop-offs >1000 ft
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#43]
So we got 5 pictures out of this thread....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top