Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 10:51:42 AM EDT
Picked up a straight razor at a flea market for a couple bucks. It seems by the markings it is of reputable manufacture.

It has some minor rust, isn't sharp, and needs new handles. I posted a while back and someone gave me the links for a new handle.

Now how do I clean up the blade? I'd like to start shaving with it. Just looking for tips to get it into condition without ruining it. Sharpen with a stone? Leather strop? Mail it off to someone? Take it somewhere?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Post a pic of it. Depending on the severity of the rust it may not be worth it. I always used a dremel with a felt wheel and Maas polish.

You are going to need a stone in the 6000-8000 grit range and a suitable strop to get it shaving sharp. It's not as easy as one would think.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#2]
There are plenty of youtube videos dedicated to this. Just like anything else you might want to do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post a pic of it. Depending on the severity of the rust it may not be worth it. I always used a dremel with a felt wheel and Maas polish.

You are going to need a stone in the 6000-8000 grit range and a suitable strop to get it shaving sharp. It's not as easy as one would think.
View Quote

That's how I broke my first straight razor.

Honing is usually a progression of 1k, 4k, 8k, and a finisher. It's a lot easier, and cheaper to send it to someone who knows what their doing for your first time.

I would head over to straightrazorplace dot com forum and do some reading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top