Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 10:51:42 AM EDT
Picked up a straight razor at a flea market for a couple bucks. It seems by the markings it is of reputable manufacture.

It has some minor rust, isn't sharp, and needs new handles. I posted a while back and someone gave me the links for a new handle.

Now how do I clean up the blade? I'd like to start shaving with it. Just looking for tips to get it into condition without ruining it. Sharpen with a stone? Leather strop? Mail it off to someone? Take it somewhere?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:58:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 10:59:38 AM EDT by AR167]
Post a pic of it. Depending on the severity of the rust it may not be worth it. I always used a dremel with a felt wheel and Maas polish.

You are going to need a stone in the 6000-8000 grit range and a suitable strop to get it shaving sharp. It's not as easy as one would think.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:26:29 AM EDT
There are plenty of youtube videos dedicated to this. Just like anything else you might want to do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:43:01 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR167:
Post a pic of it. Depending on the severity of the rust it may not be worth it. I always used a dremel with a felt wheel and Maas polish.

You are going to need a stone in the 6000-8000 grit range and a suitable strop to get it shaving sharp. It's not as easy as one would think.
View Quote

That's how I broke my first straight razor.

Honing is usually a progression of 1k, 4k, 8k, and a finisher. It's a lot easier, and cheaper to send it to someone who knows what their doing for your first time.

I would head over to straightrazorplace dot com forum and do some reading.
Top Top