Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2006 3:13:29 PM EDT
I've read people using water to clean the bore before oiling it when shooting corrosive ammo.  I've been on a C&R binge since I got my license, and my Mosin Nagants are all shooting corrosive ammo of course.  I've been using the same method I've used to clean the barrels in all my other "non corrosive" firearms.

Patch soaked in Hops #9 followed by dry patch, repeat until clean.

Is this sufficient, or do I need to use the water to break the salts up?  I figure if water will, so will hops #9 and gun cleaner...
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I use soapy water in a spray bottle.

I drown the bore and the boltface with it, patch it, oil it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used some windex with good results also.

oil it up after cleaning and it is nice and pretty again
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a 16 oz. or similar size water bottle. Fill with 50% water, 50% Ammonia, and 1 tsp blue Dawn dish washing soap. Shake.

Bring the bottle to the range and use the mixture as a 'bore cleaner' prior to leaving on any piece of the firearm which comes into contact with gas. Clean thoroughly.

When you get home, use your favorite bore cleaner in normal fashion.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
So the water is essential BEFORE any cleaning takes place?  Cleaning it with regular bore cleaner until it's clean doesnt get rid of the corrosive agents?

Also, I always oil the internals of my guns with RemOil after cleaning them...and the bore...and the outside metal gets a light coating
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So the water is essential BEFORE any cleaning takes place?  Cleaning it with regular bore cleaner until it's clean doesnt get rid of the corrosive agents?

Also, I always oil the internals of my guns with RemOil after cleaning them...and the bore...and the outside metal gets a light coating

The mercury salts formed after firing are water soluable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I pretty much just run a brush with some solvent down the barrel, then mop it with a swab wet with CLP. Havent had an issue yet. (although the CLP thing is somewhat new - in the past it was just Hoppes or something equivelant)
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]
well I understand that...but what I'm asking is, will all the hops #9 I used to clean the bore be sufficient to rid it of them?  I don't want to have to go back out and reclean my barrel, but I will if I have to.  I'm dedicated like that
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I use boiling water. pour a bunch down the barrel.Dissolves the salts. It evaporates almost instantly. clean as usual. Don't forget other parts exposed to the salts
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
well I understand that...but what I'm asking is, will all the hops #9 I used to clean the bore be sufficient to rid it of them?  I don't want to have to go back out and reclean my barrel, but I will if I have to.  I'm dedicated like that

It will not cut all the salts formed in firing corrosive ammo. You need something to dissolve them and wash them away. The cheapest and best way is good old water.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
so you're telling me I need to go reclean my bores so that I can sleep peacefully tonight?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have used some windex with good results also.

oil it up after cleaning and it is nice and pretty again

Just make sure the Windex has ammonia in it. I think there is some type of ammonia free Windex?

I use Windex and just spray it all over the parts and down the bore. Scrub the bore with a bore brush then wipe everything down and use some regular solvent to clean the bore again. Blackpowder shooters have been using Windex for quite awhile to clean their guns.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I used soap/water down the bore on my 91/30 the first two times I shot/cleaned it, followed by my normal procedure.  I just got the M-44 today, and I didn't use the water/soap method on either of them because I figured if I cleaned the bore deeply like I always do, that would suffice.  Have they already been damaged?  Should I go back right now and clean them again?  Sorry for the n00b questions...
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll know if you damaged the bore when you see rust fuzz growing inside the barrel.
It's no big deal if you wait a couple hours before you clean it up, the big part is to clean it correctly.

I have a gallon bottle of ammonia, I dip the brass brush/patch on the rod into the ammonia and then run it through the bore.

Then I use Hoppes #9, flush everything with Gunscrubber and then CLP it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuzz...like some kind of fuzzy mold looking stuff?  Nah...bores still look good...I'll go do it when I get done with this movie if it's not going to ruin my bore in a few hours...
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Check out Old Painless's post about this.
www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu13.htm
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I use boiling water. pour a bunch down the barrel.Dissolves the salts. It evaporates almost instantly. clean as usual. Don't forget other parts exposed to the salts

Ding-ding-ding!!! We have a winner, folks!  

This is the correct method... and widely accepted, too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Concur with hot boiling water to remove the mecuric salts.  It's what we in the blackpowder community use to dissolve the salt and rinse out the fouling from our barrels.  Hoppes No. 9 won't do that and your bore could still rust.  Plenty of hot water to flush it and then allow it to dry.  Then clean as if you used non-corrosive ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top