Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 9:46:57 PM EDT
Whenever I here talk about military personel and normal Citizenry in the same topic, the citizens are many times , not always, termed civilians.  Makes it sound like we live in a police state.  I for one am a Citizen of this great Republic, NOT a civilian.  

Just a thought...

Kentlik

Just trying to make friends...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, the fact that anyone from any country not in the military or government service is a civilian and those civilians from our country are citizens, I fail to see where the difficulty in defining / differentiating between the two terms lies.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, the fact that anyone from any country not in the military or government service is a civilian and those civilians from our country are citizens, I fail to see where the difficulty in defining / differentiating between the two terms lies.

It lies squarely in the grade of tin foil in ones hat.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have no problem defining/differentiatiing between the terms whatsoever, I understand them perfectly, I guess what I am saying is I don't like the term  civilian when it directed to me personally.  I am a Citizen.  Sounds very confrontational to me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The military is under civil authority, so smile your the boss, just don't confuse authority with power, like taking a pen to a gunfight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no problem defining/differentiatiing between the terms whatsoever, I understand them perfectly, I guess what I am saying is I don't like the term  civilian when it directed to me personally.  I am a Citizen.  Sounds very confrontational to me.

Oddly enough, I too am offended by being called a "civilian."  I'm not entirely sure why that is - but I will concede that being categorized as a 'citizen' has a more dignified ring to it.

That does seem odd...

And yes, it does seem confrontational.

Good points.

Dang...I'm going to have to think on this one for a few.  It might have something to do with my former service, I guess.  Serving the military for a decade might have created a stigma to that word.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#8]
This must be today's brand of hypersensitivity.

When I was in the military I was not a civilian.

Now that I have left the ranks of active duty I have returned to the civilian world.

My feelings are not hurt by this.  Probably because I also carry the title of veteran!

With that said, I like Heinlein's concept of citizens and civilians.  There are a lot of people in our society who are unproductive or just plain leeches, not contributing to our nation.  There should be a dividing line.  If you don't like life on one side of that line, DO SOMETHING and move to the other side.

There are many who hold their American citizenship cheaply because their only claim to it is the chance occurence of them being born here rather than elsewhere.  Better for us if they had been born elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Now that I have left the ranks of active duty I have returned to the civilian world.

My feelings are not hurt by this.  Probably because I also carry the title of veteran!

With that said, I like Heinlein's concept of citizens and civilians.  There are a lot of people in our society who are unproductive or just plain leeches, not contributing to our nation.  There should be a dividing line.  If you don't like life on one side of that line, DO SOMETHING and move to the other side.

There are many who hold their American citizenship cheaply because their only claim to it is the chance occurence of them being born here rather than elsewhere.  Better for us if they had been born elsewhere.

Hypersensitivity... Not me my skin is very thick.  I couldn't agree more with the idea that many hold no respect for this citizenship.  Because I do, I believe this is why I take issue with being called a civilian rather than the appropriate term of Citizen.  Actually, Kent usually works as well or "old man" or hey you, but not civilian.  

For the record the food chain looks like this:
Citizenry
then everything else...
I'll put my rearend in front of my mouth on this.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Whenever I here talk about military personel and normal Citizenry in the same topic, the citizens are many times , not always, termed civilians.  Makes it sound like we live in a police state.  I for one am a Citizen of this great Republic, NOT a civilian.  

How shall police refer to the 15 million illegal immigrants and many million more tourists, guest workers, and resident Aliens who are not citizens and commit much of the crime?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How shall police refer to the 15 million illegal immigrants and many million more tourists, guest workers, and resident Aliens who are not citizens and commit much of the crime?

Dirtbag.
Scumsucker.
Leech.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"papers please!"

Seriously without national ID it will be impossible to deal with illegals.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#15]
All forms of Law enforcement and military are subserviant to civilians PERIOD.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Since this will tailspin shortly, I'll save you the work:

The Super-duper all-inclusive battle of the terms:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=278414

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It lies squarely in the grade of tin foil in ones hat.

Don't forget, shiny side out!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hypersensitivity... Not me my skin is very thick.  I couldn't agree more with the idea that many hold no respect for this citizenship.  Because I do, I believe this is why I take issue with being called a civilian rather than the appropriate term of Citizen.  Actually, Kent usually works as well or "old man" or hey you, but not civilian.  

For the record the food chain looks like this:
Citizenry
then everything else...
I'll put my rearend in front of my mouth on this.

If your skin is thick why is it an issue?  There is a difference between people doing fed/state/local service (active and reserve) and those that don't.  Not a difference in "worth", but a difference in responsibility to the community and nation.  I have never thought of "civilian" as a term of derision.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I like this idea. From now on I am no longer a "civilian". I will insist on being addressed as "Veteran".
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Citizen, civilian, either way it doesn't bother me.  I've never been in LE or the military, so I consider myself a civilian citizen.  

However, if the S ever HTF, everyone with a gun will be on more or less equal ground.

Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#22]
After 18 years in the service, I hate LEO's using the term "civilian." Sorry deputy dawg, If you are not under the UCMJ, you ARE a civilian!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've been a civilian for the last 15 hours and 48 minutes

Congrats Paul!

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#24]
The Movie Starship Troopers has a perfect example.

Who can remember the exact quote?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top