Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 3:52:10 AM EDT
I picked up a cheapo green laser on amazon for 30 bucks
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CK3UCAI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got it yesterday

I didn't get it for anything serious, I just thought I'd try a cheapo toy on a cheapo hipoint carbine.
it's certainly bright enough...
I can see not only the dot, but the whole beam in the middle of the day with the blinds open.
I'll play at the range this weekend. anyone else try a cheapie? will I be dissappointed?

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:52:59 AM EDT
[#1]
In for answer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
looks cool I won't tell anyone.  You should put some pictures on the wall.
Is that a two story baby crib?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to add, I've owned high dollar lasers, I have had crimson trace grips on my G17 and 2 different crimson trace grips on my S&W 19.  I disliked them for a few reasons, but mainly I just didn't see a practical purpose behind them. so this is a toy more than anything else.
the thing that killed me about the crimson trace grips was that I couldn't train with them in the light. I have no problem seeing this in broad daylight so it'll be fun for shooting steel if it holds zero.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:59:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
looks cool I won't tell anyone.  You should put some pictures on the wall.
Is that a two story baby crib?
View Quote

some kinda clothes drying rack my woman just had to take up space with (no pics ya sexual predators)
I don't see a point when we can just put them in the dryer...
instead we get stiff air dried jeans
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#6]
They work fine until they encounter actual recoil.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:02:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
I had a cheap one on my Draco and it shit the bed after a few mags.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]
we bought a shower curtain and hung in our laundry room I get the same sometimes.
I have a shitty red UTG that for some reason actually stays put w/ 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:03:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

does 9mm count as actual recoil?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#10]
A laser only coincides with the point of impact at two points on a bullet's trajectory (ETA--at most). If hitting close to what you're aiming for is OK, then I guess that's OK, but if you're shooting for accuracy, that won't help you.

That said, it can be helpful as a training tool.  Set up a GoPro to video the target, turn on the laser, squeeze off a few rounds, then review the video to see how well you're doing in keeping your point of aim as you fire the weapon.  If you're doing something consistently wrong, you should be able to see it pretty clearly as you watch the dot move around.

Also, they do look cool.  I have one lying around somewhere.  I took it off because it wasn't useful, but when I first got it I spent several nights putting the dot on things as far away as possible.  It was neat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, it does...

Especially in a light carbine in a blowback action....

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:15:26 AM EDT
[#12]
What is the output power?  I have a 75mW green laser that has a very visible beam.

"Lasers in this class may cause damage if the beam enters the eye
directly. This generally applies to lasers powered from 5–500 mW. Lasers
in this category can cause permanent eye damage with exposures of
1/100th of a second or less depending on the strength of the laser."

Be careful.  That beam bounced off a reflective street sign can damage your eye pretty quickly.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is the output power?  I have a 75mW green laser that has a very visible beam.

"Lasers in this class may cause damage if the beam enters the eye directly. This generally applies to lasers powered from 5–500 mW. Lasers in this category can cause permanent eye damage with exposures of 1/100th of a second or less depending on the strength of the laser."

Be careful.  That beam bounced off a reflective street sign can damage your eye pretty quickly.
View Quote

This x 87.
NIST is now starting to do some testing of laser pointers (currently regulated by FDA) because of dumbasses pointing them at aircraft; everything tested so far has been markedly overpowered, on the order of 10x the listed wattage.
Be vewwy, vewwy careful where you point that thing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:35:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This x 87.
NIST is now starting to do some testing of laser pointers (currently regulated by FDA) because of dumbasses pointing them at aircraft; everything tested so far has been markedly overpowered, on the order of 10x the listed wattage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Lasers in this class may cause damage if the beam enters the eye directly. This generally applies to lasers powered from 5–500 mW. Lasers in this category can cause permanent eye damage with exposures of 1/100th of a second or less depending on the strength of the laser."

This x 87.

well I kinda figured if it can illuminate my living room it's probably spewing out eye frying IR light that comes back at me every time I point it at something white
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#15]
well I took it out and tried it today.
I just benched it at 50 yards and lined up the dot with my sights.
then I proceded to ring steel with a couple hundred rounds of 9mm anywhere from 10-100 yards
I was making hits at 50 yards on a 4" target shooting from the hip.
the laser was cool
I actually got better groups than I do with the stock irons on this carbine.
I was making a ragged hole at 25 yards

I didn't think this thing would actually work but I can even remove it reattach it and the POI doesn't even change.
I'm happy with it
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A laser only coincides with the point of impact at two points on a bullet's trajectory (ETA--at most).
View Quote

Same as any other sighting system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top