Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2005 8:35:51 AM EDT

almost 13 weeks old. the sire is 117 lbs and the bitch is 107lbs. i am hoping he turns out to be a brute. first full blooded shepard we have had. turns out they are very intelligent and easily trained(like everyone says.)loves to roughhouse, too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#1]
How much does he weigh?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice looking dog.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#3]
at the vet about 10 days ago, i think the wife said he was about 26lbs. but check out those wheels.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Very nice looking dog.

thanks. i was terribly worried about getting him trained but it has been a breeze. been here since he was 8 wks. i think he has had 3 accidents the whole time. the crate is the key.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Needs more pics
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Good looking dog!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry, that dog's gonna be huge.

German Shepards have problems with hip displacia though, so being huge may not be that great for him. I've heard that feeding your dog yogurt can help prevent diplacia.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Very handsome dog.

Are you going to train him yourself or have someone else train him?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay.

He looks much bigger.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

German Shepards have problems with hip displacia though, so being huge may not be that great for him. I've heard that feeding your dog yogurt can help prevent diplacia.

yeah, his family is hip-certified, for what that is worth. hopefully he will be fine like his ancestors. time will tell.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Very handsome dog.

Are you going to train him yourself or have someone else train him?

we will be training him. nothing extravagant. just the basics; down, come, stay. kill the liberal etc....
he(they) are amazingly easy to teach. i am far too impatient to have ever trained a dog, but with a few treats you can teach him stuff in minutes. so far, anyway.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#12]

here is another pic. the wife has a couple from when we brought him home. will see if i can get her to e-mail them to me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful dog.

This is Max and Kayla.  They are both about 1.5 yrs old.  Kayla on the right is about 105 and Max is about 90lbs.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#14]
bhart, they are beautiful. i hope Magnums tail fills out like theirs are. were their tails thin like Magnums when they were pups?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/260s.jpg

almost 13 weeks old. the sire is 117 lbs and the bitch is 107lbs. i am hoping he turns out to be a brute. first full blooded shepard we have had. turns out they are very intelligent and easily trained(like everyone says.)loves to roughhouse, too.

Adorable, spend the time to train him.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/260s.jpg

Adorable, spend the time to train him.

so far, so good.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#17]
They are so easily trained that they will often pick up on your behavior patterns if you do something three times in a row, whether you are trying to train them or not. You may also find that they "heel' naturally. They will follow you wherever you go. They obey just because they love to be with you.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I want a shepherd so bad. Anyone know much about their cousin, the Belgian Malinois? I was told they are almost the same dog.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Beautiful puppy.  Now I want one.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#20]
WOW! Beautiful dog. He looks exactly like mine did about 6 months ago. Easily the best dog I've ever seen. Mine is a big wuss, he wouldn't bite the fleas on his back. I absolutely trust him. He's very submissive, always has been. I've never layed a hand on him either, or even really yelled at hi for that matter, so I don't know why he is so timid. In fact, I have to be careful not to speak sternly to him because it hurts his feelings, and he pouts. He tries to do what he thinks I want him to do before I even ask. It's really amazing. His nick name on my little mountain ridge is "the perfect dog". His real name is Schultze. He's quick to kiss, and very affectionate. It seems like everyone that meets him falls in love with him.
These are truly wonderful animals.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Magnum is still trying to figure out who the alpha male is. he is far from timid, not mean or agressive but not ready to concede either.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Good lookin' dog.  I've got one that's 3/4 shepard 1/4 rotty.  Sometimes I think he's too smart.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I want a shepherd so bad. Anyone know much about their cousin, the Belgian Malinois? I was told they are almost the same dog.

You can find out a lot of good information about all kinds of different breeds at www.dogbreedinfo.com

Another breed that is from the GSD line is Shiloh Shepherds. Basically, a perfect GSD times two. Mine is about 160 pounds.

ETA: Belgian Malinois

German Shepherd

Shiloh Shepherd

King Shepherd

another interesting breed:

Black Russian Terrier

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#24]

here he is at 8 wks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#25]

bhart, they are beautiful. i hope Magnums tail fills out like theirs are. were their tails thin like Magnums when they were pups?

Here was Kayla at 8 weeks old.

Max still has a kind of skinny tail.  They are from different lines.  Kayla is Czeck/German and Max is German/American.  Kayla is well built to put it nicely.  She's not fat but she's pretty solid.  Her head is huge too.  The picutures don't do her justice.  Her head is the size of a cow's....
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Here was Kayla at 8 weeks old.
us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/56f16a84/mail/__sr_/458f.jpg?phQrMgDBh4dSNIJ1

Max still has a kind of skinny tail.  They are from different lines.  Kayla is Czeck/German and Max is German/American.  Kayla is well built to put it nicely.  She's not fat but she's pretty solid.  Her head is huge too.  The picutures don't do her justice.  Her head is the size of a cow's....

Beautiful dogs. Now imagine one about sixty percent bigger than them. That's my pup.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I love that awkward phase when their ears don't quite stand up, but they're not floppy...
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Friend's Shepherd

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Good looking dogs!

I have one as well.

A male, pure-bred, 110 pounds and not fat, napping on the floor near me as I type.

The pics of the pup remind me of ours when he was little, big feet!

The most important thing about owning a Sheppard is that they need to live in the house with the family. Only then will you fully bond with the dog and the dog with you and your family.

I trained mine myself using a tennis ball (his favorite toy) as a positive reward when he correctly repeated a task. I don't think using treats (food) is a good idea when training pups but some folks have good luck with that.

Mines getting to be kind of an old man. Not as fast as when he was young but if you came in the house uninvited, with bad intentions, there's no doubt he would bite your ass.

However, my sons can bring home friends and after he meets them they are accepted and will be licked and slobbered on like family. He can read body language like we read the paper.

He's the best dog I've ever had and gives me great peace of mind when I'm away at night working.
Once he woke me up when our HVAC thermostat caught on fire in the middle of the night.

I've already got the wife talked into another one when this one's days are over. It's gonna be almost like losing a kid but something I know will have to go through in a few years. I just hope my youngest boy is away at college when it happens so he does not find him first.

When people other than friends or family come to the house (repair or delivery etc.) I always keep the dog away from them and tell them he might bite. If they ask me why I've got such a big dog I tell them his job is to give my wife time to get the shotgun out. You should see the looks on their faces because they know it's true.....

I love my dog,

Flyer

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Not purebred, but shep/husky mix:

Ginger.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Good looking dog!

+1
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I want a puppy!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#33]
www.leerburg.com for all your traing answers. Ed Frawley Knows what he is doing and has a huge amount of FREE traing info.
Well Worth checking into.
Just got another GSD pup and he is now 16 wks. old. Yes fast learners and crate traing is the way to go.
Enjoy, they 'aint little for long!
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/magnum.jpg
here he is at 8 wks.

awwwwww
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I couldn't decide on a doberman or german shepherd for my first dog. Now it's decided.

The only problem I would have with a shepherd is that they're supposed to be very energetic. I'd have to wait until I have time to play with mine every day and train it properly before I could buy one.

Quoted:
Good looking dogs!

I have one as well.

A male, pure-bred, 110 pounds and not fat, napping on the floor near me as I type.

The pics of the pup remind me of ours when he was little, big feet!

The most important thing about owning a Sheppard is that they need to live in the house with the family. Only then will you fully bond with the dog and the dog with you and your family.

I trained mine myself using a tennis ball (his favorite toy) as a positive reward when he correctly repeated a task. I don't think using treats (food) is a good idea when training pups but some folks have good luck with that.

Mines getting to be kind of an old man. Not as fast as when he was young but if you came in the house uninvited, with bad intentions, there's no doubt he would bite your ass.

However, my sons can bring home friends and after he meets them they are accepted and will be licked and slobbered on like family. He can read body language like we read the paper.

He's the best dog I've ever had and gives me great peace of mind when I'm away at night working.
Once he woke me up when our HVAC thermostat caught on fire in the middle of the night.

I've already got the wife talked into another one when this one's days are over. It's gonna be almost like losing a kid but something I know will have to go through in a few years. I just hope my youngest boy is away at college when it happens so he does not find him first.

When people other than friends or family come to the house (repair or delivery etc.) I always keep the dog away from them and tell them he might bite. If they ask me why I've got such a big dog I tell them his job is to give my wife time to get the shotgun out. You should see the looks on their faces because they know it's true.....

I love my dog,

Flyer

Our first australian shepherd was the best dog in the world. Sweetest thing ever, and you could trust her with anything. Leave food anywhere but on the floor and she wouldn't touch it. If it's on the floor, it was hers by default. Lock her up in a room full of toddlers and come back in a couple hours. They'll have ripped out all her hair and the only time she'll have moved is to gently herd one of the kids away from someplace they're not supposed to go. Then she'll give you the sad eyes that ask "can I go now?"

Neat freak too. Couldn't stand walking through mud unless she absolutely had to, and then she'd spend an hour cleaning her paws afterwards.

On the other hand, she didn't take kindly to people shouting or making threatening gestures toward children or family members. No matter where was, backyard, in another room, wherever, if that happened she suddenly and mysteriously appeared at your feet, still fast asleep. If it escalated to where it looked like violence was imminent, the perpetrator found himself flat on his back with a very heavy dog gently straddled across his chest, nose to nose. Never once growled, bared her teeth, or bit anyone. But by golly you were getting 100+ of dog pinning you to the floor before you knew what happened.

The only times she ever got violent was when somebody's vicious dog lunged at her while she was napping. Thing never knew what hit it; one moment it was lunging straight for her, next it was pinned by the throat and it couldn't move. This was a massive dog, and it simply couldn't move. She wasn't a large dog, but she was heavy and STRONG. The second time she got violent was when she jumped our malamute we adopted when we found it sleeping on our porch one day (my dad looked down at the screen door where this dog was sleeping, turned around, and said "there's a BEAR on the front porch!"). Poor dog simply couldn't stand Texas summers and was always panting. Totally harmless; this dog posed about as much threat to anything as a warm towel that was wet on end with slobber. Our little australian shepherd, however, took the panting for bared teeth when the malamute came up to greet me and jumped her. Poor thing had to get stitches in her throat. Never once fought back, and when the shepherd realized her mistake that dog got real apologetic real fast.

Dog got depressed after her companion, a poodle/schnauzer mix, of nearly 20 years died around Christmas. She died almost exactly a year later of heart failure while most of the family was off doing things. One of the few times I've ever seen my father cry was when he got the call saying that his dog had died. My little cousin had found her outside having problems and carried her indoors to get help. My mom did what she could, but she passed on within minutes. My poor cousin somehow thought that she had caused the dog to die and that it would have been fine if she hadn't carried it in, but we finally got her over that irrational guilt.

Best frickin' dog with four legs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I couldn't decide on a doberman or german shepherd for my first dog. Now it's decided.

The only problem I would have with a shepherd is that they're supposed to be very energetic. I'd have to wait until I have time to play with mine every day and train it properly before I could buy one.

Try a Shiloh Shepherd.  From the best of the GSD bloodlines but mellower temperament, and generally less energetic. Mine required no training at all.

Quoted:
Good looking dogs!

I have one as well.

But by golly you were getting 100+ of dog pinning you to the floor before you knew what happened.

Shilohs aren't little like these dogs, either. Mine was about 160 last time I weighed him.

Here is a picture of him when he was still little, about 110 pounds, like your dog.

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Chuck Norris approves this entire thread  

eta:  Great looking dogs
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Great and beautiful dog!!!!   I love GS's!!!

HH
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, his family is hip-certified, for what that is worth. hopefully he will be fine like his ancestors. time will tell.

My big guy is certified too, both of his parents were born in Germany. Watch out and do not blame your wife and kids if you smell a fart, the shepards REALLY can break wind.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My big guy is certified too, both of his parents were born in Germany. Watch out and do not blame your wife and kids if you smell a fart, the shepards REALLY can break wind.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

beat all y'all
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#43]
This was my gal Artemis. She was 11 when cancer finally took her. She was an amazing dog. The wife worked with her every day. I swear she fully understood every word the wife said.

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

TRUE but be VERY careful with the amount of yogurt. TOO much calcium and they overgrow the joints.I have a St. Bernard pup and have asked several vets about this and they said no more than 2 tablespoons a week.

plus make sure his stomach can handle the lactose Tim had the screeming chettah willies for about an hour after the first time i did it but now is good to go.

ETA:pic
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is my bitch, her name is Ella Vom Laager Wall. She somes from east german working blood lines. Her great grandfather was  Zorro Vom Laager Wall

Better than ADT or my AR!

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Great looking dogs, all!

I need a house so I can have a dog.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
www.leerburg.com for all your traing answers. Ed Frawley Knows what he is doing and has a huge amount of FREE traing info.
Just got another GSD pup and he is now 16 wks. old. Yes fast learners and crate traing is the way to go.

My issue is with Ed is the fact that he is big into shock collars for training. You can tell a dog that is trained with a shock collar at trials. The handler makes a call and the dogs flinch. If you use them too early it messes up the focus. Are you going to have a shcok collar on the dog all the time? I would only listen to about 1/2 of what he says, thats my .02's.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Here's one we got last week. I lost my female 6 months ago to cancer and have been wanting another for awhile. She was a rescue from SoCal. Little over 1yr old.

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Did you name her Mommies Little Monster?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My issue is with Ed is the fact that he is big into shock collars for training. You can tell a dog that is trained with a shock collar at trials. The handler makes a call and the dogs flinch. If you use them too early it messes up the focus. Are you going to have a shcok collar on the dog all the time? I would only listen to about 1/2 of what he says, thats my .02's.

He has a lot of good information but I have issues with anyone who thinks that dogs are that into dominating their masters. He spends a lot of time talking about it. I have never had a dog that was confused about dominance, and I never had to do any of the things he says to establish my dominance. I think a lot of trainers blow it when they don't recognize that dogs react differently to humans than they do to other dogs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top