BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2001 2:56:56 PM EDT
aside from leo's, why do you carry?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that a rhetorical question?

I carry because of the lawn gnomes...why else?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Because in Washington State it is my right to.

2. Because I may need it sometime.

3. Because if you do not use a right, it will go away. If the law allowing carry were passed and nobody used it, they would use that as an excuse to repeal the law.

4. Chicks dig it.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Because it's better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Because it's MY job to protect myself, my family and my community.

Because defense of self, family, and community is best done with the best weapon available for the job.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this a serious question?

Duh...personal protection!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I think a better question would be "Why DON'T you carry?"

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Because I have not chosen not to be a victim who calls the police after a serious crime has been savagely committed against my family or me.

Police arrive after crimes are committed and that is not good enough for my family or me.

THISISME
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I like guns, like having one to carry around. Simple as that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]
1. I am a tax-paying U.S. citizen with all of my rights intact.

2. My 2 year old little boy doesn't not know how to protect himself yet from "undiserables" and it is my job to protect him.

3. If I don't carry now, how can I complain when they try to take that right away from us later.

4. One of these days, I will need it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Second amendment....[^] gives me that right..

NightRanger
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, but the 2nd Amendment does [b]not[/b] "give" you that right.  The 2nd Amendment (supposedly) guarantees that the right won't be taken from you by the government without due process of law.

The right pre-exists the Constitution.

(edited because of sydlexik finger)

[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#12]
The odds are, you won't be the victim of violent crime. However, if you ARE the victim, the odds won't comfort your survivors.  I would rather have my fate in MY hands rather than surrendering it to the tender mercies of some crackhead who may not have any tender mercies.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Excuse me...just a play on words...
  Second amendment...[^] guarantees me that right

NightRanger

But I do understand what you are saying..[:)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Because I can.  

Seriously, I have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen and I wear my seatbelt.  I pray I never need either.  I carry because someday I may find myself in a bad situation and it could save my life.  I hope that day never comes but as the boy scouts say...  "Be Prepared".

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
1. Because in Washington State it is my right to.
Aviator
View Quote

It is your RIGHT (and arguably your DUTY) to defend your life, liberty, and property as long as you live and breate on this earth. Concealed carry is one practical, personal way of defending that right.  The only question is whether you live under a government that tramples upon or restricts that right.  

In Washington we're less restricted than folks in Canada, California, etc., but I don't think we're nearly as free as the founders intended.

I carry because:
1) I owe it to myself and my wife & kids to defend my life, liberty, and property.

2) I believe I have some role in protecting others who may not have the skills or desire to carry.  I've read the story of the woman at Luby's who had to take cover and let blood be spilled because she didn't have her weapon.  I never want to be the one telling that story.

3)As a reminder to myself that there is a constant threat to my wellbeing from forces individual or official.  I'm not a paranoid wacko type -- I live in a quiet suburb, not an urban war zone -- but stuff happens everywhere. Not unlike a crucifix or a WWJD bracelet, the handgun under my jacket reminds me of my commitment to certain values and my real and potential role in the world.

4)I like guns! Why WOULDN'T I carry one around?

- AP
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#16]
It is my duty/responsibility to take of me and mine.  As the old saying goes, "fight crime, shoot back!"  
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
What a DUMB question,from a Vermont resident no less.You folks in Vermont have lost sight of how important a persons rights are.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Because I have not chosen not to be a victim who calls the police after a serious crime has been savagely committed against my family or me.

Police arrive after crimes are committed and that is not good enough for my family or me.

THISISME
View Quote

I second that!

John
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I think that this is an assinine question.  As has been stated, I always wear my seat belt, just in case.  The same reason I carry.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I, as an American citizen, stand alone. I am the militia. I carry legally because of all the people that carry illegally.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Because some crackhead tried to kill me.  I was lucky, he missed.  I took it as a warning, and been 'packin' ever since. [pistol]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, but the 2nd Amendment does [b]not[/b] "give" you that right.  The 2nd Amendment (supposedly) guarantees that the right won't be taken from you by the government without due process of law.

The right pre-exists the Constitution.

(edited because of sydlexik finger)

[sniper]
View Quote

Remember to add the "federal" government. States CAN take you RKBA.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
aside from leo's, why do you carry?
View Quote

1.  Even if you set out to avoid instances where you might be put in a position where it is necessary to defend yourself with deadly force, you simply cannot tell what will happen every time you go out.  Nor can you determine whether your destination will safe at any given time.
2.  Largely for peace of mind.
3.  In my state (Virginia), you can get the license.
4.  It annoys the hell out of the circuit court judges, who for years, have be denying them as a matter of policy.  Said judges have awarded them to local politians and other "priviledged" individuals.
5.  Realize that even though police may have a moral duty to protect you, they don't have a legal duty to protect INDIVIDUAL citizens.
6.  Police are, by definition, a reactive force.  They can't do anything until after it is too late.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#26]
because it is my right.  i live in a town full of tweakers, gangsters, and drunks.  i enjoy walking in my neighborhood at night.  I WILL NOT BE A VICTIM OR AN0THER STATISTIC.  if i don't protect myself, who will? the police? yeah, right!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I and I alone am responsible for my safety. As such, I've chosen not to be a victim.

I don't know how many times I've heard PD dispatched to an armed robbery at places I frequent, like the IHOP I had breakfast at the other day. Robbed hours later. It's only a matter of time.

-Andy

"Can you describe the suspect?" "Um, it was some guy in a hat...."
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I do contract work for many companies that need my services as a computer analyst. I go into some downtown areas late at night. Nuf said.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think a better question would be "Why DON'T you carry?"

Kharn
View Quote

I'll second that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top