Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2005 12:58:53 PM EDT
I am looking for something that is light, .45 auto, and fairly inexpensive.

I have heard that in the beggining the single stack G36 had some problems but i dont know if that was just in the beggining or a internet rumor.

so how do you like the g-36, its AS fat as the other .45 glocks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, its skinny. Real skinny compared to the other .45 glocks. They seem popular at the shop.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know how it is to carry, but I rented one wanting really badly to like it.

The slide was really hard to retract as there is not much to grab ahold of, the slide release is a *bitch* to push down, and there's not a lot to hold on to. After 4 boxes of ammo, I started to get tired and had malfunctions from limp-wristing. I have had a G23 for 13 years, never had any of these issues, so it may not be a good choice for a woman or an older person for self defense.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I like mine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]

I've got the Glock 30 double stack and it's fine. The 36 if it's slimmer should be even better if you like a less bulky carry weapon.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm partial to the G30, but that's because I have XXX-Large hands and have found it to be 100% with any ammo I've put through it.

Go to www.glocktalk.com and look on the Big Dawgs forum and you'll find a wealth of information about the G30 and G36.hing
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
It's what I carry when I can. Recently got a Lasermax internal laser for it. I like it.

ETA - had to get the mag extender so my hand would fit it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#8]
36's are nice, but I'd personally hold out and try a new Kahr P45 first.
According to Kahr's ads the P45 is 7% shorter 11% thinner, and 8% ligher than the 36

Kahr Arms website for Glock 36/P45 comparison

Click on "Download" on the lower left of the main screen and it will take you to where you can download the .pdf file of a magazine advertisement comparing the 2. (I can e-mail you a copy if you need)  I tried a rental 36 at the local range and it was nice but I'm not a huge Glock trigger fan. I bought a PM9 and then sold it to buy the PM40 I carry almost daily. I really do like them. If they made a PM45 or PM.357 Sig barrel for my pistol, I'd have to have one of those too. Mine have both been very dependable and accurate. JMHO
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I also wanted to like the G36. I was very accurate with mine, but I continuously dealt with the limp wristing problem. I just did not trust the gun to carry every day. I took the gun over to Glock Smyrna and they replaced the extractor, the recoil spring, and the trigger. The first trip to the range, I had 4 stovepipes in the first 5 mags. I traded it in for a G19 and have had no problems since.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#10]
It'll depend on your hand size.  The G36 just didn't fit me right-- but the G30 did!  

Mike
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
not meant to hijack, but how does limp wristing make the glock malfunction? During a course I took, a couple female desk type police officers and some security guards had the glock 36. During about 300 rounds fired each, many had several malfunctions, and the instructor said it was due to limp wristing. Forgive the new guy please, how does does it matter? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#12]
although it's a .45 gap round the springfield xd's are really good sidearms. Consider the xd .45 gap maybe....
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#13]
You will find that many folks have no problems with their G36s but some do.  Mine had many failure to feeds during the first 300 rounds.  After that, the problem disappeared.  To me, it felt like the recoil spring was way too heavy.  Some think the magazine springs were too heavy causing problems with their G36s.  I personally feel that you should shoot any pistol several hundred rounds prior to carrying it for defense use anyway so after the problem ceased on my G36 I shot it with another 200 rounds of 230 grain JHP with no failures prior to carrying it.  I now carry it on and off duty (or off duty I may carry a Wilson CQB 1911.)  The G36 is a great concealed carry pistol and very accurate.  I mention the problems above to let you know that you might experience problems with a G36 initially.  As a LE firearms instructor, I have owned several Glocks and shot many others.  You will sometimes find a problem with one needing a new extractor, recoil spring, etc. but they are usually very reliable pistols.  All semiautomatic pistols require resistance for the slide to reliably operate.  steve-oh, limp wristing causes the frame to move with the slide and may not allow the slide to fully come back (failure to extract the fired case) or go forward (failure to feed the new round.)  A firm or "locked" wrist provides enough resistance for it to operate properly.  If you have FTEs or FTFs with your pistol have another experienced shooter fire it to eliminate shooter error as the cause of the problem.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:06:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Got a G36, no problems, I feel more comfortable w/ it than w/ my .38 649

BTW: Thanks alot JETWC for bring up the Khar !, looks like I'm gonna be missing another $500.00 or so
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#16]
i switched from the m1911a1 to the g36. i love mine. it is supremely accurate, totally reliable, incredibly light, and very controllable. i guess i've put about 500 rds of factory ammo through it and have yet to experience any malfunction.

i've never shot it offhand so limp-wristing isn't an issue. i guess if it's good enough for gy ermey, it's good enough for me!
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
not meant to hijack, but how does limp wristing make the glock malfunction? During a course I took, a couple female desk type police officers and some security guards had the glock 36. During about 300 rounds fired each, many had several malfunctions, and the instructor said it was due to limp wristing. Forgive the new guy please, how does does it matter? Thanks.

Basically limp wristing is not letting the slide and recoil spring on the firearm do the work of taking up recoil by cycling.  If you let your wrists flip back and up, you take away some of the recoil action in the firearm, and can cause the slide to short cycle and produce failure to ejects or stovepipes.  Your best cure for limp wristing, is working at the range and working on your stance and grip, after that, change to a lighter recoil spring, then if that doesn't help, change to a smaller caliber or a reduced load.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I carry my G36 IWB and it's great, conceals easy, shoots great and goes bang everytime I pull the trigger.
With the Glock I don't have to worry about sweat and getting it all dirty between cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't like the 36, personally.  It's harder to control and harder to shoot accurately than the 30, IMHO.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#21]
First off I like my G36. Not as much as my compact Kimber 1911 but I do like it.

I use them both for CCW.

I find it mildly amusing that Glock calls the 36 a "slimline". It is only a few thousandths of an inch "slimmer" than the other Glocks.  It is not a true single stack pistol either (One round directly on top of the other in the mag).

My Kimber 1911 is visibly "slimmer" than my G36 especially with my Kimber's C.M.C. slim carry grips
installed.

Did I mention I like my G36, too?    My only real complaint is the fatter than necessary magazine with it's wide and squared off base.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
First off I like my G36. Not as much as my compact Kimber 1911 but I do like it.

I use them both for CCW.

I find it mildly amusing that Glock calls the 36 a "slimline". It is only a few thousandths of an inch "slimmer" than the other Glocks.  It is not a true single stack pistol either (One round directly on top of the other in the mag).

My Kimber 1911 is visibly "slimmer" than my G36 especially with my Kimber's C.M.C. slim carry grips
installed.

Did I mention I like my G36, too?    My only real complaint is the fatter than necessary magazine with it's wide and squared off base.  

yeah why did they do that? it should be as thin as a 1911
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the G30 and I like it. But not as much as my SA XD-40.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top