Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 5:19:51 PM EDT
I got a 1982 chevy 1/2 ton. No body work needed because there are no dents or rust. It also has a perfect interior for the most part. Could use new door panels though. Only has 96k on it and 50% is highway probably. The truck is/was my dads and he has babied it. I want it, but I am not going to take it if I can't afford to build it up.

Now what it does need. Paint, 16 inch wheels, and tires. I would probably get like a 1.5 to 2 inch lift (not too high). The engine needs rebuild or I need a crate. I would love a 327. Presently it has a 305 that runs ok, but with a 3.08:1 rear it doesn't have the power it should. I don't want a super high performance engine, but a good strong durable engine. If I have to give up 30-40 hosre for more durability, I would.

I can do the engine installation and lift, but paint needs to be done.

How much would this cost to do. Please break it down into individual parts.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
just get a crate motor 350 not 327 ( there is no replacement for displacement). Crate motors are affordable and dead reliable. Chunk the 3.08s If its a 4wd put 4.10s in it if 2wd put 3.73 or 3.91 and drive the %^&$^ out of it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the 350 rather than the 327 unless you want to commit yourself to an ever increasing parts problem. You should be able to find a good 350 and ALL the parts you'd ever want with just a little searching. Prolly a lot better on gas too. Didn't say what running gear you have metric auto (may not have been used in trucks), TH auto, manual? Have to keep this in mind during a swap.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The transmission is a manual and it in very good shape. Also how much is a used 305 worth?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
just get a crate motor 350 not 327 ( there is no replacement for displacement). Crate motors are affordable and dead reliable.
View Quote

Yeah.... What he said!! I paid $1350.00 for a new Goodwrench 350 to put in my '72 Blazer. You get a 3 yr/50K mi warranty good at any GM dealer. That truck didn't have that good a warranty new! Shop around at the various GM dealerships, their prices vary greatly. It seems like most of the smaller dealerships get the stock from one regional distributor/dealer, and mark up the price significantly to cover shipping it 50 miles home. You can buy from the same distributor/dealer. Names like Sallee Chevrolet in Oregon, Hudiburg in OK & TX, Jim Pace in OH come to mind.

Dave the ('72 K-5 Blazer, '82 C-10 6.2 Dsl Sub, & '83 K-20 P/U) Bowtie addict  
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]
So they got you covered on the engine. But if you can build one yourself, there are several mags that detail how to build a 400 hp to 600 hp chevy 350 for around 3-4 grand. Perfectly streetable.
As for paint. I have been looking. It depends on what you are willing to do. If you can prep the car yourself, then the 199 maaco special is the cheapest route. Otherwise expect to pay around 2000 for a decent paint job with decent prep work. No special paint, just what came on it originlly. It gets more expensive the better the job you want. Ask around and check out the other paint jobs a place has done, and the works in progress before you shell out any money.
Interiors can run quite a bit for any car. To get all 4 panels redone, carpet, and seats recovered, I got estimates from 1700 to 2400 dollars depending on what you want in it.
You could go to a yard and interior from another truck, but you would probably be in the same boat.
All in all if you went the cheap route, I would guess you are going to have to dump atleast 5000 into it before you are done. If you do it right, probably double that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Here a few of places that specialize in Chevy trucks:
Online sales
[url]http://www.americanclassic.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.chevyduty.com/frame-store.html[/url]
[url]http://www.dixietruckworks.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.cheyennepickup.com/pickup_1973-1987.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.gspp.com/[/url]
View Quote

To request a paper catalog
[url]www.lmctruck.com[/url]
View Quote

For instance, LMC lists these for '82s:
Door panels 159.95/pr
Padded armrests 59.95/pr
Bench Seat Reupholstery Kit 159.95
Molded Carpet 119.95
Molded plastic Dashboard cover 99.95

This project is do-able! And for less than a new truck payment!

Semper Fi
Dave

edited to add another link
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#8]
You may want to go with a rebuilt 350, around here they run about $525.00. Don't know about the lift, but you should be able to get running for less than a grand. As for the gears, I run a set fo 3.42's,in my '85 with a 305. Gives good power.

As for the body, paint cost just as much as you want to spend. If you do the prep yourself, it gets cheaper.
[url]http://www.chevytalk.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi[/url]

These are good guys here too. chat with them for more ideas... fullclip
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If I had a really nice engine for my car I would have an awesome car if I had a car.

If we had some eggs, we could have ham and eggs if we had some ham.

You cant sue me, it wasnt my dog, he didnt bite you and if he did its because you made him, besides its just a scratch.

Do ANY of these make sense in this thread?

Kinda like not buying a truck if you cant afford to put goodies in it.

Buy the goddamned truck and work on it over time. You dont need to make it a manly truck right away. Besides, when your dad dies, you will appreciate it a lot more.

And why doesnt your dad just give you the truck??? Thats what parents are for =)
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't give you much advice on paint, but
if you want to tune your 'LG4' 305, check out
www.thirdgen.org. While this board is intended
for Third Generation (82-92) Firebird/Camaro
owners (which is how I found it, I own a 1991
Firebird with a 305 (L03 TBI)), they have plenty
of advice on how to improve the performance of
your truck's motor (or even what to get in a
replacement). There are a few truck guys
who are regulars there too...
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replies, I think I will try to work a deal with the old man and start fixing it up. I have a car now that I can sell to get some good starter money on the project. Maybe a couple thousand or so. Anyways, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top