Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2002 9:19:51 AM EDT
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/azstar/20020706/lo/rental_car_tracking_spurs_suit_1.html[/url]

The local Budget Rent-A-Car agency is the target of several lawsuits over its use of sophisticated technology that tracks customers and for charging them extra - up to $7,500 in one case - for driving beyond certain state boundaries.

Consumers and privacy advocates have blasted the use of the satellite-based devices, which also let the company see whether their customers are speeding and where they stay, as an example of invasive technology.
View Quote

This wouldn't be so bad if they'd told the people up fron that they were going to be watched. In any case, I won't be doing business with them anyime soon.

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I just rented a Budget Camry last week for a day, and have to rent a Corolla for a week in the near future, but I doubt the system is in either model.

They seem to be installed more in what are called, speciality vehicles (Lincoln Town Cars, Ford Expeditions, Ford F150 pick-ups, Higher priced vehicles).

So, if you stay with the smaller, more common vehicles, I don't think there's much to worry about.

I found some interesting comments from some of the Rental company bosses about the systems that are installed on their rental vehicles:
[url]http://www.airiq.com/airiqnewweb/content.cfm?chapterID=3&pageID=57&SegmentID=89[/url]

I like this one:
[b]“AirIQ makes us money and it absolutely increases our efficiency.”

Jeff Schoepfel
Owner
Thrifty Car Rental
Greer, SC[/b]

Thrifty Car Rental can kiss my ass.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:...

I like this one:
[b]“AirIQ makes us money and it absolutely increases our efficiency.”
[/b]
View Quote

That's the bottom line here: $$$

(i guess it could be a government conspiracy too)

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to mention that some even know when you speed!!!

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I rented a Mitsubishi Gallant from Hertz to attend a 2 week Nortel class in Richardson TX.  I reset the trip counter before I pulled out of the parking space at ABIA and let it count the milage for the 2 week period.

When I returned the car, the attendant held a hand scanner and pushed the button as I rolled up.  As I rolled down the window he said, "Good afternoon Mr. Peacher, I see you have a full tank of gas and travled xxx.x miles.  Is that correct?", he knew down to the 10th of a mile the total usage of the vehicle and I'm sure he knew a whole lot more.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Long distance Trucking Companies have been doing it to their drivers for years...
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Just wait till ol Jeff Dipshit at Budget in SC shuts the car down on somebody who was headed to the ER at some hospital just over the boundary with their baby suffering from meningitis.

F**k Budget.  I haven't rented from them since they gave me a vehicle with a slow leak in one tire that I didn't find out about until I parked overnight 15 miles from the nearest station.    And I won't rent from them again.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard that an insurance company was running a pilot program in TX were they install a tracking device in your car to see where and when you drive. The program is voluntary of course. However I could see a day when companies start making this mandatory or they won't sell you a policy. Just imagine what they could do with the information they can collect from these devices. They could set your rates based on when, where, and how fast you drive. Drive after 11 PM on friday or saturday night - you must be driving drunk, you rates go thru the roof. Drive 75 on the freeway - you are a menace, gotta raise your rates. Etc. Etc.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Go ahead and rent a car from your most hated rental company.

I believe the tracker boxes are mounted in the trunk, but may be under a seat or (probably not) in the engine compartment.

Before you go very far, find the tracker box and the power-in line that goes to it, and do one of two things:

1. Disconnect it for most of your trip, then  
  plug it back in. You know NOTHING about it,
  so it's probably "malfunctioned".

2. Disconnect it and attach 120 Volts to it,
  then plug it back in. This will probably fry
  the unit. To make sure it fries, attach 120
  Volts to as many connections as possible.

These ideas are for entertainment purposes only and should not be performed because it's probably illegal.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't have a problem with this if they told the customer before he drove off.  Budget has a right to keep track of their vehicles.  It isn't yours, they are letting you drive it for a fee.  But when they don't tell anybody about it, that's where I have a problem.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the company that makes the equipment have a number we can call to voice our opinion?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Rented a malibu in vegas from budget.said right on the window that its tracked by sat. on the contract it also said no out of state travel and if i remember no going out a certain distance.

forget budget,go somewhere else.

They will only do something about it when it hurts the pocketbook
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wouldn't have a problem with this if they told the customer before he drove off.  Budget has a right to keep track of their vehicles.  It isn't yours, they are letting you drive it for a fee.  But when they don't tell anybody about it, that's where I have a problem.  
View Quote

I agree 100%..  I have no problem with what they are doing, just let me know.

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#15]
[img]http://zapatopi.net/afdb/afdbsmiley.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Go ahead and rent a car from your most hated rental company.

I believe the tracker boxes are mounted in the trunk, but may be under a seat or (probably not) in the engine compartment.

Before you go very far, find the tracker box and the power-in line that goes to it, and do one of two things:

1. Disconnect it for most of your trip, then  
  plug it back in. You know NOTHING about it,
  so it's probably "malfunctioned".

2. Disconnect it and attach 120 Volts to it,
  then plug it back in. This will probably fry
  the unit. To make sure it fries, attach 120
  Volts to as many connections as possible.

These ideas are for entertainment purposes only and should not be performed because it's probably illegal.
View Quote

They probably have anti-tamper connection like the the cable boxes in hotels or electric meters. Find the fuse and remove or cover the GPS antenna.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just wrap the antenna with tinfoil! Works for my head too. The satellite antenna must put out a bunch of energy as the antennas can't be stabilizes as the car moves about. With an 18 foot dish we use about 140 watts to light up our television signals - on a tiny car sized antenna you'd need a bunch more - a bit of foil would knock the thing into melt down.

[PS - we need a tinfoil wearing smiley face]
View Quote

GPS satellites use a very weak signal that can be blocked by tree leaves, so tin foil should do very well in preventing the antenna from receiving the signal.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#19]
My guess is that there could be a couple of different things going on here...  While GPS is certainly the most instrusive, it seems like they could also simply install some sort of computer hooked directly to the speedometer that constantly monitors your speed, and issue their "fines" based on that.  

I think things of this nature will get more and more common as the technology becomes cheaper.  Right now, the navigational systems, OnStar, LoJack, etc. (that can basically do the same sort of tracking) are generally only available as options on the higher end cars, soon they will become standard on just about everything.

Rocko
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#20]
On another note.

Anti-gov-tinfoil-man will like this..

I've been heavily involved in automotive circles for the past 17 years.

One thing kinda makes me wonder. When computers first started to show-up in cars, around 1975, they were pretty big size-wise.

These days, the computer is damn-near the same size, if not bigger. The technological advances since '75 would yeild a much smaller, far more powerful system.

I've taken into consideration the size and amount of connectors needed to hook it up to the vehicle, but there are way more components tucked into the box than I believe are neccesary.

I'm guessing at least one of them is a tracking device.

MMUUUAAAAAHHHHH =)
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:50:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
On another note.

Anti-gov-tinfoil-man will like this..

I've been heavily involved in automotive circles for the past 17 years.

One thing kinda makes me wonder. When computers first started to show-up in cars, around 1975, they were pretty big size-wise.

These days, the computer is damn-near the same size, if not bigger. The technological advances since '75 would yeild a much smaller, far more powerful system.

I've taken into consideration the size and amount of connectors needed to hook it up to the vehicle, but there are way more components tucked into the box than I believe are neccesary.

I'm guessing at least one of them is a tracking device.

MMUUUAAAAAHHHHH =)
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:04:42 AM EDT
[#22]
If those records can be obtained by law enforcement, well, I have a major problem with that. They already obtain the records from those automated bridge toll machines, so you know this is next.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:23:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I rented an Explorer Sport Track for 4 July holiday. From Budget no less.

First of all, what a lousy vehicle. Squeaked and squealed like a pig in heat. Brakes made a grinding noise. Vehicle is undersprung (springs not heavy duty enuf for the vehicles weight) Bounced around like a pogo stick. Cheesy, gimmicky stuff all over the vehicle.

That said....

I wonder if they tracked me up into a friend's field, and heard all the gun fire.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If those records can be obtained by law enforcement, well, I have a major problem with that. They already obtain the records from those automated bridge toll machines, so you know this is next.
View Quote

If they're there, they'll be obtained. No doubt about that.

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I get the impression that people are complaining because they got caught.  

Stop moaning, I say.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I get the impression that people are complaining because they got caught.  

Stop moaning, I say.
View Quote

"If you've got nothing to hide, why worry"
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Where or when or how fast I drive is nobodies business but my own.  Anyway, JimBean had it right.  If the GPS receiver can't receive the signal from the GPS satellite, you can't be tracked.  Just go outside and put a drink can over the LNA of any DirecTV or Dish Network dish and see just what kind of picture you will have.

Vulcan94

By the way, that thing with the drink can is a neat trick to play on you friends. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Some companies DO mail out tickets for speeding in their rental cars and trucks!

-Troy
View Quote

Someone please explain to me how a rental company can issue you a ticket for speeding?

Give me a break!  I think I would fly back to wherever it was that I rented the car and REPEATEDLY kick the rental manager right square in the junk!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some companies DO mail out tickets for speeding in their rental cars and trucks!

-Troy
View Quote

Someone please explain to me how a rental company can issue you a ticket for speeding?

Give me a break!  I think I would fly back to wherever it was that I rented the car and REPEATEDLY kick the rental manager right square in the junk!
View Quote

Just disconnect the GPS antenna.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top