Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 6:24:30 PM EDT
anyone do this?

I'm trying to find info on canning (in a jar) pasta sauce, to put on the shelf until needed.

I like to make it in large quantities (share w/ friends/family) but I"m looking for an easier method than freezing (not to mention you have to pre-plan to do it)

anyone got any insite on canning sauces?

thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:58:01 PM EDT
I have a nice garden and can lots of sauce, peppers and salsa.
I would suggest purchasing the Mason canning book at wally-mart.
Mason being the company that makes the jars.
Lots of info in there, Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:03:27 PM EDT
I can all kinds of spagetti sauce. The meat sauces really should be pressure canned.

Simple. Start cooking my meat sauce. I'd normally simmer it for a few hours, but if I can after that length of simmering, it's sort of overdone. SO I make the sauce and bring it to a gentle boil, cook for about 15 minutes, dump it in clean jars, and drop em in a pressure canner. Process for 90 minutes (quarts). Yer done...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:05:29 AM EDT
any equipment recommendations? web sites?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:23:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:23:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By frozenny:
I can all kinds of spagetti sauce. The meat sauces really should be pressure canned.

Simple. Start cooking my meat sauce. I'd normally simmer it for a few hours, but if I can after that length of simmering, it's sort of overdone. SO I make the sauce and bring it to a gentle boil, cook for about 15 minutes, dump it in clean jars, and drop em in a pressure canner. Process for 90 minutes (quarts). Yer done...

+1

The only problem is some things don't taste the same after canning.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:26:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RED_5:
any equipment recommendations? web sites?

If you get a pressure canner, get the weighted type, not the guage type. The guage types need to be recalibrated quite often and from what I understand its a pita.
Top Top