Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 8:33:18 AM EDT
For the last two weeks I have hardly been able to sleep at all. I get really sleepy at the end of the day and try to go to bed between 10:30 and 12 am to wake up at 7 am, but every night as soon as I lay down, I become wide awake. I will remain completely awake for 1-3 hours, after which I might daze into a very light sleep. But even then I will awaken two or three times, around 3-5 am. Then around 6 am I will realize I might as well get up early since 1 more hour of sleep would be pointless, but I end up not getting up and just roll around more until 7, at which point I am extremely sleepy and want to go back to sleep but I can't because it's time to go to work.

The weekends are completely different though, because I usually stay up later, until 2 or 3 am, and then sleep all day, not getting up until noon or so. I have tried taking over-the-counter sleeping pills (tylenol PM) but they just make me extremely groggy throughout the entire day, and don't help me get any more sleep.

What is going on here? I'm not doing anything obvious that should keep me awake, i.e. playing games or drinking caffiene before  going to bed. I've been drinking lots of water lately and am eating more healthy, and also getting a little excercise in. I usually listen to music or talk radio when going to bed, but I've tried just silence, but neither of these seems to have an effect either. I've tried cranking the AC way down and also way up, also no difference (although if it's hot enough where I sweat that will prevent me from falling asleep at all). Argh!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTFCQ
(In Before The Fight Club Quotes)

Sorry man Been there done that and it sux
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IBTFCQ

holy crap, I didn't think of that. That would explain everything! Maybe I'm an engineer by day, but like, a totally cool fightning ninja pimp by night...

on second thought, probably not.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTFCQ

holy crap, I didn't think of that. That would explain everything! Maybe I'm an engineer by day, but like, a totally cool fightning ninja pimp by night...

on second thought, probably not.

LOL Ya never know man... But if you start seeing things that are not there go see a Doc and get something. It sound like you got your internal clock screwed up. and the long sleeps on the weekends are making it worse.

Get some Nyquil. Take a slug of it at 8PM and try to crash at 9pm. By 7PM you should be dandy! Do this for a couple of nights to get your self reset. This is what I have to do every one in a while.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to the doctor.  He'll probably prescribe Ambien, which I've taken on and off before and is great.  It doesn't leave me groggy at all.  The Doc may also send you to a sleep clinic for evaluation.

More importantly, is there something bothering you?  In the past when I've had sleeping problems some introspection has turned up some unaccomplished task or goal that was weighing on my subconscious.  Once I resolved that, the sleeping problems went away.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]
QP, are you drinking any alchohol in the evening?  This could be a problem.  Or even eating within 5-6 hours of hitting the sack;  Here's the deal -- I've seen so much of this I know it well.

If you are in good health, and especially if you're working out,  your liver gets pretty efficient.   It converts the carbs/alchohol/whatever in your gut into sugar, which will energize you in the middle of the night!

Try no 'food' after six or seven pm, and have a big breakfast.  You should see immediate results.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I rarely drink any alchohol. I do eat dinner late though, like at 8 pm. So I guess I can try eating dinner earlier when I get back from work to see if that  helps.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to bed earlier on weekends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top