Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 6:56:42 PM EDT
never was able to.  lifetime 3rd base/left fielder
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I also played 3rd in HS, but I came in sometimes when our pitching ran thin.  The curve was always my go-to pitch.
I threw a straight drop 12 to 6 and a cut that went around 2 to 8
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#2]
how's your elbow at this point in your life?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
right arm is 1" longer
Elbow AND shoulder pop when I trow straps
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
how's your elbow at this point in your life?

Fine now, baaad in HS.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, but it was completely unpredictable.  Sometimes it would break 3 feet, sometimes it would nail the batter in the back.

Probably why I wound up playing 1st base.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
no, but i have a helluva  knuckle ball
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I voted "no" because I don't consider it decent if I'm throwing an arc one out of every 7 to 10 attempts.  I played in H.S. (wish I played in college, too), but as an outfielder/second baseman, I only tried it (and still do with buddies) for shits and giggles.  Man, trying like I know what I'm doing only to fail makes notorious curve ball pitchers like Sandy Koufax, Barry Zito, and Mike Mussina (as much as I loath him.........Go Red Sox) seem super-human.  I forget who said it, but in someone's book on pitching, he said something to the effect of:  in the battle between pitcher and batter, it's the curveball that makes the batter the underdog.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
the ones that impressed me the most were the 12-to-6 o'clock ones...though I hated batting against the sweepers.  I bailed out a lot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I caught throughout Legion, HS, and 2 years of college... Was typically the 4th or 5th Pitcher if needed.
I had CRAZY movement on the ball, but was mostly a fastball/fork/sinker thrower.  I could make the ball move 5 feet with ease on the throw, but accuracy was another story.

Only got to pitch 2 innings in the collegiate level...  Was fun though..  Averaged 95MPH and only hit 3 batters...  

ETA: I still throw in the 90's.  Back in AL ball, I used to 'warm up' by playing 'catch' with the center fielder... (I was catcher).... I threw on the line and he bounced 'em....  If only the knees & ankles didn't give out... could have gone somewhere... oh well.. I can still whoop it up in the Church softball league
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to have a wicked curveball that I would aim at the batter, it would come in around shoulder high at them.  Then curve back towards the plate with it dropping almost straight down.

I pitched it one time at a batter, he swung at the ball a good second and a half before the ball arrived.  

I then gave him a fastball (I had a lot movement on my fastball), then gave him the curve again but this time he swung a second after the ball already arrived.

I almost fell off the mound laughing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, my real name is Frankie Rodriguez.  Better know as "K-Rod".
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
though I hated batting against the sweepers.  I bailed out a lot.

best feeling in the world for a pitcher
Fastball high and inside and a sweeping curve where the hitter looks like a doofus
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#13]
No I was always the one behind the plate having to catch your shit!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]
not much of one back then and with my bad shoulder I try to avoid throwing anything.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually...

Yes.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Dude everyone here shoots 1 inch groups at 100 yards offhand with Iron sights. Why would you think we are not all Little Nolan Ryans when it comes to pitching
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Moved from LF to P when I found I could throw a knuckleball...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:09:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I had pretty good 2 to 8 curveballs in Babe Ruth, then my Fresh. year in High School I found I could throw the 12 to 6 pretty good.  Only used it a few times, once was the 3rd strike for a K though.  The umpire's, batter's and my catcher's eyes were as wide as plates when I threw that.

I did have one time though where I threw an 2-8 curve and this kid swung so hard, he completely spun around and fell on the ground.  I was busting up laughing on that one.

Then, around my Jr. year, my 12-6 decided not to work and from then on, it was 2-8, and 3-9 and a couple 3-6's.

There was one game where I threw almost nothing but curveballs, my hurt fuckin hurt after that.  But usually throwing 100 or so pitches in a game hurt worse than that.  Hell, when I threw 140pitches in one game, it didnt even hurt.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I can throw a curveball, but it won't be decent.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:58:17 AM EDT
[#21]
no
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Why would I want to?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Nope, hard throwing WILD lefty.
Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn
OTH, my nephew had no heat but a nasty curve ball. He is a good pitcher.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I played catcher, third base, and pitcher! We were playing against a rival High School team, that had quite a few good friends on the opposing team. I was starting (pitcher) that afternoon. A good friend of mine was the first batter! Catcher makes the call, and I shrug it off....We go with the curve......THAT NEVER CURVED. It hung out there like a Big ole potato.....Needless to say I never lived that down....It was one nothing after the first pitch

Sean

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I was a pitcher and infielder all the way through my sophomore year in college.  Something popped in my shoulder and I have never pitched again.  I would say my curveball was slightly above average.  Nothing great though.  I have very good control over it though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
No I was always the one behind the plate having to catch your shit!

ha!  this was the response I was waiting for
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top