Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 7:54:02 AM EDT
i posted this in team but i thought i'd post out here for more traffic too

My grandfather was a pilot in the Army Air Corps in world war two. If i remember correctly he flew p-38s and p-40s. My dad said a number of years ago he was awarded a distinguished flying cross (i think, it may have been another award), but he never told my dad, or other family how he earned it (i guess it was one of those memories he wanted to keep to himself). My grandfather passed before I was born but i've always been curious to see what info i might be able to dig up on any sorties, or specifically what sortie he earned the distinguished flying cross. he apparently was also shot down twice but never fell into the hands of axis forces.

Does anyone know some sites, or other reference tools to possibly try and research this info?

ETA: unfortunatly i dont know what squadrons he was apart of, or the years he flew combat tours. i want to say he flew the P-40 in northern africa, but i dont remember any more info than that.

UPDATE

well i talked with my dad, and he told me to shoot an e-mail to my uncle who is  Col.  in the USAF because apparently he has all my Grandpa's flight logs and service records already.  My dad told me that he asked my grandfather sometimes about his war experience in the war.  He never really said much, but my grandfather always told my dad that he never had and air to air kills.  After my grandfathers death, he asked one of his squadron members who was at the funeral how my grandfather earned the DFC.  He told him that he was on a mission in Burma and got 3 air to air kills in that sortie.   He flew P-38's in Burma and P-40's in North africa,  

My dad was also able to tell me a bit about the two incidents where he was shot down.  the first time was in north Africa, he rode the plane all the way down the ocean just short of the shore and then skid across the water and up onto the beach.  He was knocked unconcious and basically the allied forces got to him before the Axis could and was able to pull him to safety.  The second time was in Burma.  He rode the plane into the jungle and was knocked unconicous again.  He didnt know how long he was out for, but when he came to, he had a good enough of an idea of where he was,  and he ran.  He ran till he passed out from exhaustion.  he spent the next 2 or 3 days in the jungle trying to elude the enemy and basically walked back to his airfield

He said also while in Burma their airfield was going to be overrun by the Japanese. He and his squadron were ordered to fly the aircraft out of that airbase and to another to avoid the aircraft falling into enemy hands.  they were told to leave all the ground crew and the crew chief's behind and they would be evaced later.  well i guess my grandpa and his crew chief had a good working relationship and he didnt want to leave him behind to be taken captive.  So he had his crew chief get in the plane and my grandpa basically flew while sitting in the crew chief's lap.  (sans parachute)  when he landed at the airfield who was there at his wingtip?  General Chenault himself.  Apparently Grandpa got a good old fashion ass chewing and as punishment, he made my grandpa fly the next 5 sorties without a parachute.  

It was an interesting time talking to my dad about all this stuff, next time i'm able to see my uncle i'll see if there is any other info I can dig up from his flight logs.  Although they may be in storage as my uncle is currently stationed in turkey.  

I dont know how much is truth and how much is tall tale, but either way i had a good time sitting out on the patio with my dad smoking cigars and talking about it along with other current events. hope y'all got some enjoyment out of reading all this stuff.

EDIT:  from what research i've done, he would have had to have flown the p-40 in burma.  so he must have flown the p-38 in N. Africa
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#1]
What info do you have about him? Just name, DOB?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag for hopefully a good AAR.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What info do you have about him? Just name, DOB?

I have the name and such now, i actually dont know his DOB off the top of my head, but could get it quick from family, hell i might be able to get his squadron info and stuff like that from them.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a VA website that can help you with this, I think you'll need name, dob, SS#, and a reason.  I'll look later when I get a chance, I used it to get my dads  records.

Here ya go...

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey awesome, thanks for that.  My grandpa was with the 325th glider infantry regiment of the 82nd Airborne during WWII, so I had been thinking of this too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
BTT for update
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you Googled his name?
You need to find his unit quick, because our WWII Vets are not going to be around much longer.

Once you find his unit you might be able to talk to some of the guys that knew him or you might be able to find out more about him through the USAF historical records section.

USAF Historical Research Agency - http://afhra.au.af.mil/, http://www.afhra.af.mil/organizationalrecords/

Here's a list of links that might help - http://www.afhistoricalfoundation.org/aboutus/Additional_Resources.asp

Good luck!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Need to do the same thing. I found some info about my grandfather but I want more.

I know he crashed a B-25 at Luke AFB and went down over French Morocco but that's about it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
bump for day crew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top