Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/24/2008 4:36:27 PM EST
Lookin for a cam to take to offroadin events as media coverage but not sure I wanna go dig slr. I am proficient with an SLR but other people covering events will be using it as well so a GOOD point and shoot is what I'm leaning towards. It will be taking pics that will be poster sized so I'd like a large megapixel like 8+. What cam should I be looking at? I like the specs and price of the Kodak Z1012 and the canon powershot S5 IS. I'd like to stay under 500 on the cam.

Also will need a HD vid cam to make dvd's of the event which one would you go with? I have seen several with 60gig hard drives for around 500-600 but really don't know much about these. I will be making hour to 1.5hr long DVD's so it needs capacity! Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 5:53:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By wheelchairman:
Lookin for a cam to take to offroadin events as media coverage but not sure I wanna go dig slr. I am proficient with an SLR but other people covering events will be using it as well so a GOOD point and shoot is what I'm leaning towards. It will be taking pics that will be poster sized so I'd like a large megapixel like 8+. What cam should I be looking at? I like the specs and price of the Kodak Z1012 and the canon powershot S5 IS. I'd like to stay under 500 on the cam.

I have the S2 IS, the 5MP predecessor to the S5 IS. It doesn't fit in a pocket but it has 12x optical magnifiaction and allows manual control of everything except focus so if you're accustomed to SLR and want to manually control shutter speed and/or f-stop then it gives you those options.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 6:27:25 PM EST
That would be great. The size of the cam doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 1:11:05 PM EST
One thing you are failing to consider is the delay between pushing the shutter and actually taking the pic.

The have gotten better, but still most of the compact models suck in this area. The Canon ones aren't bad, but you may miss the pic due to the delay.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:55:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2008 5:55:32 AM EST by skid2964]

Originally Posted By RDP:
One thing you are failing to consider is the delay between pushing the shutter and actually taking the pic.

The have gotten better, but still most of the compact models suck in this area. The Canon ones aren't bad, but you may miss the pic due to the delay.

I have the Canon S3 IS, which, in my opinion is a much better camera than the newer S5 IS.
Anyway, to compensate for slow recovery time, if you must "get the shot", you could use continuous mode.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:22:35 AM EST
By using a point and shoot, you are missing out not only in the shutter lag area but also your ability to zoom. Most point and shoots use "digital zoom" instead of a true optical zoom (like an SLR lens). Digital zoom means the image is interpolated, which means it is digitally enlarged by making the pixels themselves bigger which means very grainy pics. This will have a serious effect on any prints you enlarge.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:45:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By TNA1:
By using a point and shoot, you are missing out not only in the shutter lag area but also your ability to zoom. Most point and shoots use "digital zoom" instead of a true optical zoom (like an SLR lens). Digital zoom means the image is interpolated, which means it is digitally enlarged by making the pixels themselves bigger which means very grainy pics. This will have a serious effect on any prints you enlarge.

Well, that is a point I failed to mention and I totally agree.

A good used DSLR can be had for less than $500
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:54:32 AM EST
So you're looking to be the "media" but you want to spend $500 on a P&S camera?

A couple of things have been mentioned that need a little more emphasis. The shutter lag on a P&S is a killer. Your keeper count will be very low. At least that's my prediction. Yes, as it's been mentioned, if your camera supports it, you can shoot continuous mode. However, and this is a problem with the $500 DSLRs too, the frame rate/time between shots will be your secondary killer. I'd be willing to bet that out of a 6 frames at 3fps you might have 1 or 2 that are actually what you would want. Probably 1. The spray and pray method is seldom productive.

Another point to consider is that while you may have a 8MP P&S I'd gladly put my 4.1MP SLR up against it. The sensor in a DSLR is much better and larger than that of a P&S and the sensor is critical when it comes to image quality. Not that it can't be done, but I don't know anyone getting high-quality poster-size prints from a P&S.

I really can't fathom taking images for sale or print with a P&S. ymmv.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:35:33 AM EST

I am proficient with an SLR but other people covering events will be using it as well so a GOOD point and shoot is what I'm leaning towards. It will be taking pics that will be poster sized so I'd like a large megapixel like 8+.

I used one of these prior to getting my D300. I had no experience using an SLR prior to picking it up, yet it was plenty intuitive. I doubt you'd have issue handing it off to anyone. It's in your budget, is a DSLR, is smaller than the Powershot and weighs nothing. It isn't 8mp, though. I used mine for a few FDCC shoots, everyone loved the pictures.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:00:25 PM EST
These guys are right, buy a less expensive quality DSLR like the D40. Or look for a used D70 or D80 etc.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:20:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/7/2008 11:21:22 AM EST by MHIDPA]

Also will need a HD vid cam to make dvd's of the event which one would you go with? I have seen several with 60gig hard drives for around 500-600 but really don't know much about these. I will be making hour to 1.5hr long DVD's so it needs capacity! Any other suggestions?

The parts in red all scream DSLR. Even an inexpensive DSLR like a D40, used D70, or a D80 Will give you huge advances in everything you really need. Shutter lag, ISO range, availablitiy of really nice glass all are reasons to go DSLR. A d40 with a kit lens is available for less than $500. Also if you are wanting to make poster sized prints you will probably want to shoot in RAW and most point and shoots dont have the kind of buffer that DSLRs have for shooting lots of RAW files. Also as far as megapixles, remeber it is quality not quantity
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:54:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By MHIDPA:
Also as far as megapixles, remeber it is quality not quantity

Quoted for emphasis.
Top Top