Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/25/2004 9:10:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 9:18:36 AM EST by lvgunner777]
My brother who is a sophmore in highschool came over this weekend and we got to talking about his school week. He mentioned his history teacher got into politics pretty heavy this week and mentioned President Bush wasn't half the man Kerry is because Kerry went to a war while Bush hid behind his dad's political influence. My brother debated her for a while as best he could but she shut him down and wouldn't let him speak anymore. She went on and on about how great Kerry is and how we really need a change.

Obviously there is no room for this in a public education setting so I called the principal today and left a voice mail for him. He called me back and I let him know what the teacher was up to and he agreed with me wholeheartedly. I told him my complaint is not partisan based one way or the other but there is no room for calling our President a coward in a public school classroom. He didn't even ask who my brother was and I didn't offer the information, he said he will be having a talk with the teacher today about this problem. He said she either needs to balance her approach in regards to politics or not bring it up at all.

Would you have called? If so how would you have handled it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:13:31 AM EST
nicely done!

Just think if it had been the other way around, the libs would have called, well that or burned down the school
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:14:41 AM EST
Politics should stay out of the classroom.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:15:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:17:07 AM EST
As a student, I wouldn't have let her win the argument in the first place. None of my teachers argued with me for very long before they realized they couldn't win.

As a parent or family member, i think you handled it about right. I mean I'm sure there are some here who would advocate much harsher language/punishment for this teacher's obvious attempt at brain washing, but I say give her a chance to see the error of her ways. THEN if she continues, fire her. Politics should only be discussed in a Political class if you ask me. (in school that is) If she can't separate teaching from politics then she shouldn't be a teacher.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:17:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By GC456:
nicely done!

Just think if it had been the other way around, the libs would have called, well that or burned down the school

no, libs would have just come in the middle of the night and stolen any signage from the schools yard...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:17:58 AM EST
Good job, lvgunner.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:18:29 AM EST
principle

should be "principal"

[/end spelling nazi]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:18:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:25:25 AM EST
Good job!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:27:52 AM EST
As info...the school might have gotten your name from caller ID and I assume you kept your maiden name...

Oh, good job!!!

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:29:29 AM EST
Good job handling the problem.

Libs would already have sued the teacher, the school, the board of Ed, the state and then the Fed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:31:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

No, politics should be IN the classroom. But not just commie lib politics...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:36:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 9:36:54 AM EST by the]
You were not only correct in doing this, you struck at the roots of liberalism in America. Teachers should be called on this nonsene, each and every time they are clumsy enough to slip up.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:38:24 AM EST
Bravo Lvgunner !
Glad your brother escaped the attempted brain-washing unscathed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:43:15 AM EST
salute - well done - I'd say you handled it perfectly
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:47:56 AM EST
Follow up with a written complaint. Verbal complaint will not go on her permanent record.

I went through a similar problem with the debate teacher at my daughter's high school. She was telling the kids how Howard Dean was the right choice for America and W was an idiot, etc. (This was a while back.) I called her and told her that it was NOT her job to discuss politics with my child. Her response was that she wanted the kids to think for themselves, no "regurgitate what their parents saw on FoxNews." I told her again, the politics in my house were my business, and she needed to keep her opinions to herself. She went into a long-winded screed about closed-minded people and how she hated her job. I waited for her to finish, hung up, called the principal, filed a formal complaint and took my kid out of her class that day.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:55:25 AM EST
I don't mind if a teacher states what their opinion is...but simply state it in the context of the discussion and leave it at that...continue on with the education. It sounds like this teach went up to the line, jumped over it, and kept on sprinting. Very inappropriate.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:59:29 AM EST
Good job.

Teachers are paid to educate, not indoctrinate.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:07:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Slash:
Good job.

Teachers are paid to educate, not indoctrinate.

+1
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:13:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By drache:
As a student, I wouldn't have let her win the argument in the first place. None of my teachers argued with me for very long before they realized they couldn't win.

hes what 16? he can take care of himself and probably has learned that if he is going to argue better have some good info.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:18:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

Politics should definately stay IN the classroom, indoctrination should stay out (either way). This is a history class and the definate place to be discussing current political issues.

However if the teacher has a problemb with allowing the kid to express an OPINION then she should not be expressing her OPINIONS.

I am a science teacher, do I try very hard to avoid this comming up in my class. We do however have "Channel one" time. When we have had several good discusions. But I do not belittle students for their opinions. I encourage them to use reason, not emotion.

You did the right thing calling the pricipal, though it would have been much better having our parents/ the legal guardian of the child do it. "Your teacher was.... to my son" sounds much better than "Your teacher was... to my littel briother." Siblings carry no weight.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:05:47 AM EST
Teachers never tried that crap when I was a kid.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:07:35 PM EST
Public school? If so the the teach is a criminal, Hatch act prohibits any campaigning by a .gov employee while on the clock.
Fire the bitch and toss her in cell block H.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:13:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:16:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By photokirk:
Follow up with a written complaint. Verbal complaint will not go on her permanent record.

+1. I'd also suggest sitting in her class for a day or two just to see her squirm.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:16:28 PM EST
Well done! NEVER remain silent when something like this happens.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:17:48 PM EST
My nine year old has instructions on what to do if it happens in her classroom. I would love to talk to

the school board president about political policies in my school district.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:23:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 1:33:40 PM EST by TrollAccount]
The teacher was violating the law.

No public money can be spent lobbying for or against a specific candidate in a public school during school hourse - the Hatch act is only PART of those restrictions:
"An employee’s conduct is also subject to the laws of the state and the regulations of the employing agency. Additionally, employees should be aware that the prohibitions of the Hatch Act are not affected by state or local laws."

The teacher was spending school time (classtime) and school resources (the school itself) on political activities. I'm sure the particular school district and/or state have clear laws and policies against this kind of thing - most do.

DEFINITELY contact the principle AND school superintendent and DEMAND that the teacher cease and desist from lobbying during class time but also DEMAND that the teacher apologize for injecting her own personal political opinions into the class - it is utterly inappropriate no matter what.

DEFINITELY contact the school district's legal counsel and report this action with specific names, dates and locations.

And DEFINITELY go to the state laws and/ore school district's website and go to the legal section to see if there's any state laws or official policies on political lobbying for candidates by teachers during school hours that you can download and stuff in the teacher's pooper - and of course, post pics.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:27:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By lvgunner777:
My brother who is a sophmore in highschool came over this weekend and we got to talking about his school week..........
Obviously there is no room for this in a public education setting so I called the principal today and left a voice mail for him........
Would you have called? If so how would you have handled it?

I don't know that a sibling should call..a parent, sure. But a sibling?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:13:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:33:07 PM EST
Good job, and with one amendment - would have asked for a follow-up call to be told what measures / guidelines had been enacted, so my student would know when the inevitable second, worse offense comes up.

and I'm LMFAO at the (so far) 4 dipshits that voted 'her classroom'.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:35:15 PM EST
Before you guys think I am an idiot, I mean the teachers political beliefs. I have studied Poli Sci and we paid attention to current events in my history/world problems classes when we were in HS.

The teachers bias is what should stay out of the classroom.
Top Top