Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 11:44:10 AM EDT
Well me and my father were doing a little bow hunting this weekend (he was in town from colorado), and on the way back to my home, we stopped at Sportsmens warehouse.

He was buying all sorts of things, from more camo, to game calls, and we decided to hit the gun isle.

Long story short, he and I inspected a Rob Leatham custom Springfield Armory 1911 for about 45 minutes, when he decided that he wanted to buy it.

Well they wouldn't sell it to him since he was a Co resident.

What is with that?

Back in December, he bought a Yellowstone county commemrative rifle (1 of 10), and had no problems with that.

Is the law different for handguns?

Anybody know?

mtechgunman.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Rifles OK if they conform to the laws of your state.

Handguns - no no.  If he liked it, he could have it shipped to an FFL in CO and done the transfer as a resident of CO.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I know around here you can buy a long gun in a contiguous state, but a handgun must go through an FFL in your home state. Not sure if that's federal or state law.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#3]
An out-of-stater can buy a long gun, but not a handgun.

He could buy the handgun in another state, but the dealer would have to ship it to an FFL in your dad's home state.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't buy handguns outside your home state. That's a Federal limitation.

Can 'pay" the dealer for it, but they have to ship it to a FFL in his home state, and that dealer will actually run NICS and 'sell' the gun to your father.

It is different than long guns.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I kinda figured it might be something like that, but the dealer wouldn't sell him a shotgun either.

They have a sportsmens warehouse in Colorado, and they said that they couldn't ship the 1911 there either.

what the hell?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top