Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 10:19:22 AM EDT
it started with home page "trapping", and my system has gotten slower and slower. its to the point where it will barely start up, so its to late to down load a virus program. any suggestions?  do i need to reformat or defragment my hard drive? if so how do i go about it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Hit this site and run their free virus scanner:  Housecall
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#2]
thats the problem, i cant get it up and running to download a program or scan.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Boot into safe mode.  Then get adaware installed and run it.... and an AV program.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#5]
how do i boot into safe mode?  a friend told me to reformat my hard drive, and then i would have to reinstall all of my programs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone may come along that knows for sure, but I believe you tap F8 right before or as the Windows splash screen comes up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Shoot. Shovel. Shutup.

seriously, more info is needed. Win 98? XP? ME?
F8 while your computer is booting should get you into safe mode. then run spybot, antivirus and defrag.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Run a scandisk and defrag your hard drive.  That may get it running faster so you can then download a spyware program.  If you have a program like Ultra Win Cleaner try running that to get rid of unneeded clutter and junk.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#10]
its windows 98, once i hit the control key, then what?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Oh... if its windows 98.... reformat and install Windows XP.  That will fix it.  :-)

Seriously, reboot, then get ready with your hand over the F8 key.... right when you first see "starting windows 98" in text, press F8 repeatedly, you should see a text window with Safe mode as an option.  Keep trying if you miss it and it boots normally.

In safe mode, it will take FOREVER to finish booting because all the caching stuff is disabled.  However, this will let you install Adaware or Spybot and that will clean a lot.

However, to run a full adaware and full AV scan, thats gonna take a LONG time.  Windows 98 is such a piece of CRAP OS that it really does need to be wiped and completely reinstalled from time to time to make it faster.

So, if you are comfortable with that.... and getting drivers and all your old programs working, thatsa the way to go.

When I have clients with this problem, I typically tell them to go to Dell's website, and order a $400 new computer that will come with XP.  WAY cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh... if its windows 98.... reformat and install Windows XP.  That will fix it.  :-)

Seriously, reboot, then get ready with your hand over the F8 key.... right when you first see "starting windows 98" in text, press F8 repeatedly, you should see a text window with Safe mode as an option.  Keep trying if you miss it and it boots normally.

In safe mode, it will take FOREVER to finish booting because all the caching stuff is disabled.  However, this will let you install Adaware or Spybot and that will clean a lot.

However, to run a full adaware and full AV scan, thats gonna take a LONG time.  Windows 98 is such a piece of CRAP OS that it really does need to be wiped and completely reinstalled from time to time to make it faster.

So, if you are comfortable with that.... and getting drivers and all your old programs working, thatsa the way to go.

When I have clients with this problem, I typically tell them to go to Dell's website, and order a $400 new computer that will come with XP.  WAY cheaper in the long run.

+1000
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#13]
ok, i think i have it now. just reformat, which basically wipes everything clean, and then re install all of the programs that came with my computer?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#14]
that will do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top