Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/16/2002 11:30:36 AM EDT
I hear that someone my age 55 can't expect to develop large muscles. Supposedly a hormone thing. True or False?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 2:24:50 PM EDT
While its true testosterone production begins slowly declining in males at age 30 and declines significantly after 40, one can still completely reshape his body at age 55. Putting on "big" muscles is subjective. What is big to you? It would be pretty hard, with no base, to get bodybuilder-like muscles at that age, but with hard work and a good diet, you certainly could put on a good, noticable amount of mass. Let me know if you have any specific, how-to questions. -Good luck, Ken
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 2:40:13 PM EDT
It's been shown conclusively that the benefits of exercise on muscle development apply at all ages. People in their 70's, 80's, and even 90's have shown significant gains in strength and muscle mass with a suitable exercise regimen. There is debate as to whether or not growth hormes and other supplements actually help much, but my belief is that they do. As long as they're not harmful, use some if you want. There is a lot of information on this out on the internet. Search it out. CJ
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 4:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2002 5:02:09 PM EDT by bolt]
"LARGE" muscles is subjective,a 20" bicep on a 6'5"guy vs. a 5'5"guy,looks much different. At age 55 you can make significant "gains" in strength, size, endurance,tone,and flexiability. You get out of it what you put into it ,usually. [:|]State of mind I've found to be a much more than expected of an influence.Have a FullBlown blood test done,this will tell you what if anything needs attention/supplementation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:37:16 AM EDT
I just turned 74, and I'm still making gains. They're very slow, but not any slower than they were 40 years ago. I know much more now and have much better equipment (a power rack w/ a high and low cable), and my more effective workouts seem to have completely offset my age handicap (or so I think/hope). Over that time, I've gained about 70 pounds while keeping the same size waist. Aside: it is impossible for me, at 5' 8" 220#, to buy pants that fit well. My current goal is to compete at 80. The biggest challenge is to stay healthy. Whatever you do, keep a notebook. Your opinion of your progress from looking in a mirror or from comments made to you can change from day to day depending on how you feel, but recorded measurements of size of body parts or reps with weight lifted can't be argued with. My gains are so pitiful that I would have quit long ago had I not had my notebook showing that I was making (slow) steady progress. That helps a lot when you don't really feel like working-out and especially during the work-out when you might otherwise not give it your all. You can't use the excuse that it's not worth the effort when you see the (small in my case) gains on paper. Again, at 55 it's going to take extra patience to reach your goal. You'll also have to get enough sleep and get rid of as much stress as you can. For most people, getting rid of stress at 20 is much, much easier than when you're older and have kids, car payments, a mortgage, etc.. As MP906 said, testosterone production drops significantly as you age, but there's not much you can do about it. Just finding a doctor that will test for it is difficult. Finding one that will do something about it is next to impossible. My test production was 20 ng/dl the last time I had it checked. I've had severe (ahem) sexual side effects from it for 30 years, and all of the doctors I've talked to are so terrified of the DEA that they won't do anything to help. It's strange that any 16 year-old girl can walk into a doctors office and be proscribed hormones, but for a man in his 40's (the first time I had it measured) getting help is impossible.z
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 3:18:38 PM EDT
Zoom: I only wish...when I get your age...you are an inspiration!!!
Top Top