Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2013 11:41:02 AM EDT
Going to be there over the weekend for a graduation. Want to bring a handgun for the road in the car. Can I drive onto the base with it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#2]
No comes immediately to mind.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Was there for a shooting match last month.  Just keep it unloaded and locked up in the trunk of the car while on post and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#4]
The funny thing about going through the gate at Army posts is that they never check you. Just your vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Why don't you call before you make the drive.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Going to be there over the weekend for a graduation. Want to bring a handgun for the road in the car. Can I drive onto the base with it?

I wouldn't.  You for sure can't carry on post.

Just leave it in your hotel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best answer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Do it and post pics!
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The funny thing about going through the gate at Army posts is that they never check you. Just your vehicle

Is Benning not an open post any more?.  I've done it traveling through there as there wasn't an easy way to avoid it and never had a problem.  Figured forgiveness > permission.  If I were staying somewhere nearby I'd leave the gun there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was there for a shooting match last month.  Just keep it unloaded and locked up in the trunk of the car while on post and you will be fine.

Probably not good advice
Here is the 8/2012 POW policy
http://www.benning.army.mil/garrison/dpw/EMD/content/PDF/MCoE%20Reg%20190-11%20(27%20AUG%2012).pdf

Maybe so.  Looks like we were covered by 2-1(b).  Leave it at the Hotel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#12]
JBLM said no so I'm sure FtBenning is same.  In fact, you can't even have a radar detector on your dash in JBLM.  They make me take it down and into the glove box.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Go on Fort Benning's web site and see what the Post regulation is.

You can find the new MCoE Regulation 190-11 under Regulation and Enforcement section by going to www.benning.army.mil/garrison/DPW/EMD/wildlife.htm  or www.benningmwr.com/odr-huntingandfishing.php .

Read more here: http://www.thebayonet.com/2012/10/10/362015.html#storylink=cpy

Requlation says:

a. The introduction or carrying of privately owned weapons, ex-plosives and ammunition on Fort Benning is prohibited unless specifically authorized as outlined in this regulation.

b. Privately owned firearms will only be brought onto the installation by persons living on the installation or for the purpose of engaging in authorized activities such as hunting, dog training, and use of recreational range or marksmanship events.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
JBLM said no so I'm sure FtBenning is same.  In fact, you can't even have a radar detector on your dash in JBLM.  They make me take it down and into the glove box.

It's actually against the law to have a detection device on any federal installation, just like talking on a cell phone while you are driving.
It can be written under 3 different cfrs, with varying degrees of monetary loss, usually dependent on how big of an asshole you are being during the traffic stop.

I wrote a kid for one the other day after he suggested I go choke to death on a bag of dicks, he also got avoiding a traffic control device, impeding the flow f traffic, illegal u turn, illegal light covers, and excessively loud exhaust.

First tickets I haven't written in conjunction with a case in years.

Are you staying on or off post, this will be what the best anwser hinges on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I appreciate the replies. Driving straight through no motels maybe a little sleeping in the car at a rest stop.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why don't you call before you make the drive.

This would be my bet
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just PCS'd from there. This is the correct answer.

ETA: Just for clarification, you need to be on you way to, or coming from the range. Leaving it there for extended periods of time is a no-no.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The funny thing about going through the gate at Army posts is that they never check you. Just your vehicle.

odd, but true.
not like this information is of any use to the OP, but interesting nonetheless.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's actually against the law to have a detection device on any federal installation, just like talking on a cell phone while you are driving.
It can be written under 3 different cfrs, with varying degrees of monetary loss, usually dependent on how big of an asshole you are being during the traffic stop.

I wrote a kid for one the other day after he suggested I go choke to death on a bag of dicks, he also got avoiding a traffic control device, impeding the flow f traffic, illegal u turn, illegal light covers, and excessively loud exhaust.

good thing he didn't have a dog.
he didn't have a dog, did he?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you routinely write people up for chickenshit stuff just because they hurt your feelings?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Judging by this response. I would say.....NO.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you routinely write people up for chickenshit stuff just because they hurt your feelings?  

The kid obviously didn't realize the cop was more equal than others.  The kid also made the mistake of entering a victim disarmament zone.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Leave it locked in the safe in your hotel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I have driven on base at benning with a handgun and a semi-rifle along with a full ammo-can of ammo.  

I had a pass and an on base hunting permit.  I kept both weapons locked in the trunk when I wasn't actually  looking for the little piggies.

Don't forget, traffic rules are more strict on base.  Pedestrians always have the right of way, STOP for them.  Don;t speed, obey traffic signs and lights.

I signed in and got a vehicle pass near the main gate, nothing was said at all about firearms, but I wasn't OC or CCW except while hunting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#26]
STORY TIME (this happened before the shooting at Ft Benning)

A couple of years back I wanted to go to the Army museum.  I have a WA State CCW and attempted to get onto Ft Lewis in WA.  

I drove up to the gate guard and informed him that I was carrying and that had a WA State CCW.  I was denied entry.  I said I was OK with locking up the firearm with their base police or whatever.  Still no go.

I never went back.

Of course policy may differ. Good luck.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best answer.
I've heard that hotels have been broken into, and their possession stolen.

Personally, I would just leave it at home.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I've carried on bases but, not the one you are going to. Seems like each one has their own set of rules and the base commander sets the tone. I carry on my wifes base all the time. I just go to the security forces office and check it in and pick it up when I leave the base. When in doubt, contact security forces for the rules. I sure wouldn't leave it in my hotel. I've had all sorts of stuff stolen from them over the years even 5 star rated ones.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#29]
As others have noted, you can only carry a firearm onto Ft. Benning for legal hunting, competitions, and using the range.  Technically, you aren't supposed to leave it locked in your vehicle while doing anything else on post and are only supposed to go to and from the activity involving the firearms with no intermediate stops.  They DO randomly search vehicles entering the base, although I've never been searched (the one time they approached with dogs, we had our dog with us, so they skipped us and just did a quick visual to make sure I wasn't trying to bring a large bomb on base, I was there for one of the Ranger events, possibly my brother's Ranger School graduation).
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best answer.

Second best is "keister it".

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Rule of Thumb:

Do not carry onto post.  Its bad Juju.  If you get caught with an unregistered weapon in your vehicle, you are going to have some problems.

and now for education on Rule of Thumb:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top