Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 4:47:46 PM EDT
Got an email from the boss calling me out on a mistake.
However, the mistake was on the template my boss sent out for us to use.

I guess I should have double checked his work,  so I'll take some responsibility.

However, I hate taking blame and looking incompetent for something I didn't do.

On the other hand, my gut says shut up, take the blame, and move on.

I know, cool story bro.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck that.  Call him out on HIS FUCKUP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Piss on him to establish dominance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I do.
If you screw it up fine roll with it but if someone else does it they will take the blame, not me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope.
OP, do you want to be known as a fuckup by the bigger bosses?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My supervisor - you sure that is done correctly
Me - when you can do it properly with out my assistance ..ill accept you questioning my work till then fuck off
My supervisor - well you've been doing it longer that's why I ask you for help..you never fuck up.
Me - and.........
My supervisor - fuck you protus you prick...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Piss on him to establish dominance.
View Quote
Why was this not the first post?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell him you are not his fucking secretary!

Unless that is what you are.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I would do, without hesitation. But then, I'm willing to accept the potential consequences of being right.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My supervisor - you sure that is done correctly

Me - when you can do it properly with out my assistance ..ill accept you questioning my work till then fuck off

My supervisor - well you've been doing it longer that's why I ask you for help..you never fuck up.

Me - and.........

My supervisor - fuck you protus you prick...
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
Not unlike most of my boss conversations.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Bring the mistake to his attention.  I'm sure he would want to know.  Hand him a corrected template to redistribute.  CC your boss's boss.  Word the email carefully, but make it clear the initial mistake was not yours.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Management: "You idiot".

Me: "I did the best I could with what you gave me to work with".
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
You could just email the boss back (just him, not reply all) and point out the mistake.  Unlikely that you'll face any repercussions by bringing up a real issue.  Going full nuclear with an angry "reply all" is unlikely to end well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Shit rolls downhill.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bring the mistake to his attention.  I'm sure he would want to know.  Hand him a corrected template to redistribute.  CC your boss's boss.  Word the email carefully, but make it clear the initial mistake was not yours.

View Quote

Do this.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I can tell my boss "Fuck your mouth."

Can you?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Is it your job to catch his mistakes?  If yes, then you fucked up.  I don't use anybody else's template for my work until I check it first to make sure it's correct.  If I'm forced to use someone else's data/template/formula then I make sure I credit them on my report...to give them credit for their work and to cover my ass.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got an email from the boss calling me out on a mistake. However, the mistake was on the template my boss sent out for us to use.
View Quote

Email just to you?

"Sorry boss, I agree, I found an error in the original template file and have attached the corrected version.  My apologies for not catching this on the first go-round."

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#19]
If you have an original template with the error, give it to him highlighted.  

That's what I would do.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a body once who always said I wouldn't follow his instructions.  He did it so much his partner started having meetings with the 3 of us to discuss job details.  ONE time I put a quote together and was handing it over to the partner to check when the boss came in asking what we were doing. I said, just giving this quote pack to pat.  

The dude went off the deep end, demanding to know why he wasn't involved and here we go again.   I said you were involved, you led the meeting.  He called me a liar and said to his partner, can you beleive this shit.  I said, I can prove you were involved and he yelled how!  

I said, because your notes from the meeting are still on the white board behind you.  

He turned around, got beet red, glared at me like no one ever has and stormed out slamming the door.

He was a first class cocksucker
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd call him out, but my boss would never do that in the first place so...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Dear Boss,

The mistake was in the template we used.  Here's an update of the template that corrects the error.  I'm sorry I didn't catch it earlier.

Thanks,

The Guy Who Just Called You Out
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Email just to you?

"Sorry boss, I agree, I found an error in the original template file and have attached the corrected version.  My apologies for not catching this on the first go-round."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got an email from the boss calling me out on a mistake. However, the mistake was on the template my boss sent out for us to use.

Email just to you?

^ For people that like to remain gainfully employed and not completely ruin their chances for promotion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you have an original template with the error, give it to him highlighted.  

That's what I would do.
View Quote

Have it enlarged, framed and hung on the wall.

Say nothing more on the subject.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I ended up saying I was using the template given to me, that we have been using this entire time. I did apologize for not catching the error on it before I used it. I figure that was the most diplomatic approach without taking direct responsibility or pissing on his leg.

Also, I can't CC his boss as he is THE boss. No one above.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I guess I should have double checked his work,  so I'll take some responsibility.
However, I hate taking blame and looking incompetent for something I didn't do.

On the other hand, my gut says shut up, take the blame, and move on.

I know, cool story bro.

View Quote

Hit reply all and point out that the problem is with the template he provided you
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#27]
There is a bus, with a name on it.

WHOSE name do you want on it?

Boss can try to blame whoever he wants.  I keep a SHIT TON of CYA emails.

If the pissing match starts, I intend to win...

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Personally, I'd take the blame. I have no intentions of moving up any farther. ( the stress vs pay just isn't worth it)  Besides, my boss has covered my ass plenty.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Can you?

View Quote

Ever ask  suck the man marrow from your love bone while thrusting it in his face...

I do...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Shit rolls downhill.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Had a boss try to do something similar, only it was trying to throw us (myself and a couple coworkers) under the bus over a policy change that she instituted. We had to print the e-mail and hand it to her in front of witnesses for her to acknowledge that she had instructed us to do things that way.

Fortunately, she is no longer my boss. As others have said, find a tactful way to point out that it was a template error which you have now corrected.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I would do, without hesitation. But then, I'm willing to accept the potential consequences of being right.

+1

Especially if you have the union backing you.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

<3 my union.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dear Boss,

The mistake was in the template we used.  Here's an update of the template that corrects the error.  I'm sorry I didn't catch it earlier.

Thanks,

The Guy Who Just Called You Out
View Quote

Click: Reply All
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Dear Boss:

Now listen here, goddammit. I'm not the guy who generated the screwed up template. Please discuss this with him. I don't have time to be double checking every one else's work.

Thanks.

Also probably why I stay working at a small company and wouldn't last at a big one. The guys at the large multinational conglomerate we are a dealer for either hate me, or think i'm a hoot. It's an ongoing joke that the email schedule goes like this;

10pm to midnight - from their tech department. They like to work late

5-6 am - from their regional managers - They are earlybirds.

3am - Fella just boiled over after being pissed off all night and decided to call out someone, and copy everyone that he can on it. He is a hostile guy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#37]
A manager from another group flamed me and my whole group incorrectly, using a large group mail address.

with my manager's blessing, I composed a wonderful backhand slam and hit "reply all".

fuck that guy; his people were laughing about that shit for a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#38]
My immediate boss, I could definitely call out on that. He's more like a teammate than a boss. If he fucked up on something, he's not the kind of guy that would try to shirk responsibility on me or any of our teammates.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Can you?

View Quote

I can and did today! He was not really paying attention to what was going on and mistook min spec for the spec we were dealing with. He proceeded to get mouthy with me that that min spec is too low, I had to correct him and say the spec we were dealing with was 3x greater than min spec.

His attitude changed instantly!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Those who can, do.

Those who can't,  learn to synergise the chimp on the cage to crowdsource the deterministic group dynamic mission critical platypus to vibe the safe space cisgender cultural divide
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top