Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 7:25:17 AM EDT
replied to the band keeping post,got me thinkin about the boom years,living in north cali.....
anyone remember hamiltons in vegas?
what a good time!
in san francisco,it seemed like no mater were you went,it was so smoke friendly...went to so many smokes,dinners,tastings,cigar bars.....it was alot of fun...in spite of the dickwad posers...
i smoked with so many really great people,and i was in the hospitality business then,and it was amusing to see all the "in" people smoking cigars(some celebrity women looked so fing stupid somking).but it was the rage,so no one really bothered you about cigar smoke.......
now,thats sadly changed,and cali is a communist state,and most others are soon to follow....and have
so, afew ? for you...

worst brand of the boom?
were you a smoker during the boom?
funny stories of the boom?
glad the boom is over?
stock up on the incredible deals that followed the boom?
any boomtime brands you miss?

replies are reqested....

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Mi Cubano

old El Rico Habano, La Gloria Cubana

Double Happiness

Tamboril

El Sublimado, El Incomparable (blow out prices)

La Luna

Don Mateo

JR Ultimate

Carlin

Excelsior

Montecruz

Opus X
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
WG_dog,
thats really funny you mention Mi Cubano,as they sucked,and i hade vivid memorys of smoking the first few i smoked (cigar shortages of established brands forced alot of us to buy up what we could) almost made me quit smoking cigars!
about 2 years ago,a shop near my house opened,and i stopped in for a grand opening,and free sticks were flowing,the owner handed me a Mi Cubano! i almost started laughing out loud,and told the owner about my former exp with that brand.
he said it was a reblend,and i smoked it,it wasnt as bad as b4,but it still wasnt good!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Pre-boom Hoyo de Monterey Excaliber strong and bold
Boom-time Hoyo de Monterey Excaliber tasted like lawn clipping
Post-boom Hoyo de Monterey Excaliber gotten better

I hated all those boom-time celebrity name brands like Frank Sinatra and George Hamilton.  I don't know how good they were, or not, but it's obvious that they were just cashing in on their names.  After the boom Thompsons couldn't blow them out fast enough.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hated all those boom-time celebrity name brands like Frank Sinatra and George Hamilton.  I don't know how good they were, or not, but it's obvious that they were just cashing in on their names.  After the boom Thompsons couldn't blow them out fast enough.

Now they have the guy who played Phil Leotardo shilling them.

your refering to frank vincent?
his public enemy cigar made by perdomo at the tail end of the boom wasnt all together that bad,if not overpriced,i kinda remember enjoying it....prolly cuz it didnt have a ton of indo in it....i think lew rothman(santa clara) is now making a frank vincent cigar....
the sinatras were a huge disapointment....crap stics pulled very quickly.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Im glad that all the poseur "Don's" died off. Leaving only the king; Don Carlos.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:52:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Cigars didn't interest me then.  I was a cigarette smoker.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#8]
elray, I never had a Mi Cubano that did not suck.  lol  

New York, New York cigars by Te Amo.

Te Amo cigars

Morro Castle

Pheasant

Virtuoso

Aristoff (before JR)

Pinar

Fighting Cock

Burmese Cheroots
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top