BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2006 1:39:29 PM EDT

???????????????
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny, I have the DVD playing right now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Alien
or
Planet of the Apes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The absolute worst sci-fi movie I have ever seen !

No shit !

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Blade Runner - best sci-fi movie ever??????  

YES
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
5 or 6 on a 10 scale at best...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Someone is watching Spike today.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

YES

+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The absolute worst sci-fi movie I have ever seen !

No shit !

So what, you've never seen any other sci-fi pics?
Believe me, there are much worse sci-fi pics out there than blade runner.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Someone is watching Spike today.

This thread's getting even funnier, I turned of my DVD and turned on Spike.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#10]
<---------on spike.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Blade Runner "The Directors Cut".

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought the Directors Cut, and it made no sense at all.  It was the first time I had seen the movie.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]

It is an absolutely amazing movie, and definitely one of the best three sci-fi movies of all time.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, for those who never understood the movie, I suggest the book...

BTW, the book is not entitled "Blade Runner": it was actually titled "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" The author, Phillip K. Dick, also wrote "The Minority Report". He was REALLY into visualizing future societies and pitting technology against morality and for that matter, reality. His stories remain amazingly prophetic.

The movie makes some very oblique references that Deckard is likely some kind of replicant, but it is much easier to see in the book that he truly is one. Probably similar to Rachel in that they do not have a four year life span. After all, how otherwise could Deckard survive a single punch from Leon, or the various attacks of Zora, Priss and Roy?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]
THE THING

Deckard is very definitely a replicant.

That's why the other bladerunner puts a unicorn in his house.  To let him know that his unicorn dream was implanted.

Also, deckard's eyes glow every once in a while.

The theatrical cut downplayed this aspect of the story.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#17]
One day I'll watch it
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#18]
As far as the look and style of the future as presented in movies, Blade Runner certainly set a standard with those noir poly-cultural perpetual twilight and rainy street scenes.

It may not be the greatest plot in the world, but it was a trend-setting movie and one I like a lot.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It may not be the greatest plot in the world, but it was a trend-setting movie and one I like a lot.

Agreed - I think a lot of people forget when it was made.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Aliens

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#21]
What a coincidence.  I just got done airing out a couple skinjobs.  It was a bad one, the worst yet.  

The scene where Roy crushes his maker's skull is an all time favorite.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Cyberpunk
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YES

+1

+2
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#24]
One of Ridley Scott's finest works. If Bladerunner is not the best Sci-Fi movie of all time then it is definitely in the Top 3.

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-Beams glitter in the dark near the Taunhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time,like tears in rain. ...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought the movie at walmart for 8.88.

Still in the wrap somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I think the big difference between BladeRunner and more recent garbage, is that it is plot and character driven.  The few special effects are stunning because they are short and far between.  That movie just shows what a pathetic assclown George Lucas really is.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well, for those who never understood the movie, I suggest the book...

BTW, the book is not entitled "Blade Runner": it was actually titled "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" The author, Phillip K. Dick, also wrote "The Minority Report". He was REALLY into visualizing future societies and pitting technology against morality and for that matter, reality. His stories remain amazingly prophetic.

The movie makes some very oblique references that Deckard is likely some kind of replicant, but it is much easier to see in the book that he truly is one. Probably similar to Rachel in that they do not have a four year life span. After all, how otherwise could Deckard survive a single punch from Leon, or the various attacks of Zora, Priss and Roy?

+1. Although, I don't think the movie followed the book that well. There were quite a few things in there that should have gone into the movie in some aspect.

I would kind of like to see Bladerunner remade today.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

With Hollywood's lack of original ideas in the last 10 years...there's a good possibility it might.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With Hollywood's lack of original ideas in the last 10 years...there's a good possibility it might.

There is zero chance they would improve the original.  It would just be more bling:  more explosions, more impossible stunts, more fake cars, more product placement, more tits, and a ton of CGI.  It would suck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#30]
The one that just finished on Spike is the original with the Harrison Ford voice over (original U.S. release) I do believe. Edited for TV of course. The film has been voted many times as one of the all-time great Sci-fi films by varying polls and awards.

As for Deckard being a replicant, Scott said in an interview a few years ago in Britain that Deckard was a replicant. It was asked of Dick also but that he stated Deckard was a human in the book (before his death in '82). The origami unicorn was to suggest that Gaff was aware of Deckard's dreams and memories of unicorns which were a dead give away of a replicant because this was a memory implant for all replicants.  
The movie was advertised as something different (a total action film) and this is supposedly why it was a flop in the US at the box office. The international release is supposed to be a bit more bloody also as compared to the U.S. release. Seem to remember during the original release that Batty's killing of Tyrell was much more graphic with Batty pulling his thumbs out of Tyrell's eye sockets with a very detailed view and accompanying sound affect.
Having been released in '82 the film was very awe inspiring as far as visuals and they still holds up well today but certainly doesn't have the impact compared to the technology of films released today. You have to remember that personal computers were in their infancy and the punk look in this film and Escape from NY was new (example of life imitating art maybe?)Of note is filming that was done in the Bradbury building as the location of Sebastian's apartment (built turn of last century) and the Ennis house used for visual effect for the  inside of Deckard's apartment (Frank Lloyd Wright design that was built in '20/'30s). Both are considered historical landmarks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Did you check out Adama in the zoot suit?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
It is an absolutely amazing movie, and definitely one of the best three sci-fi movies of all time.  

+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is zero chance they would improve the original.  It would just be more bling:  more explosions, more impossible stunts, more fake cars, more product placement, more tits, and a ton of CGI.  It would suck.

I can only disagree on point, since when did more tits ever detract from a movie especially if they were being sported by Sean Young and Darryl Hannah back in the day.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#34]
You've got me there.  More tits couldn't hurt.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
  blade runner - best sci-fi movie ever??????

No.  But thanks for asking!

Aliens is the best sci-fi movie ever.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm going to go with Aliens as the best as well.  I like Blade Runner but it's just kinda wierd or something, a classic no doubt but best?  Not in my opinion.

Best recent Scifi was Serenity I thought (of course I was a Firefly fan), I found it quite interesting that on a comparitively shoestring budget it had better special effects and stuff than the newest Star Wars movies.  I mean the space battle is about the same length in ROTS and in Serenity, and it's far better looking and sounding in Serenity I thought.  Plus, instead of using CGI for ABSOLUTELY everything including virtually every set, in Serenity they tried to build almost everything and actually have people with real backgrounds and stuff, with CGI just where nessecary.  I think that works worlds better, virtually every shot in the Star Wars movies look fake...  And then of course Serenity had clearly better acting, writing, and directing...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I thought it kind of sucked.

I liked it the first time I saw it but everytime after that it was petty mediocre.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Blade Runner - Best sci-fi movie ever??????

Almost.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope.

2001 is the best ever.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Definitely one of the top five of all time.

1. 2001 A Space Odyssey

The rest in no particular order:

* Bladerunner
* Alien
* Omega Man
* Frankenstein
* 12 Monkeys
* Planet Of The Apes (the original)
* Matrix
* Terminator
* Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back
* Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
* Gattaca

The list goes on...

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'm going to go with Aliens as the best as well.  

Aliens is a fun, roller-coaster action movie, with an awesome story  - but it's not one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time.  In terms of those kinds of movies, I think "The Fifth Element" is also a fantastic fun ride of a movie.

If anything, I'd pick "Alien" as one of the best sci-fi movies of all time.  That truly was an amazing movie - other than "The Crying Game", I can think of few movie situations where I've been as shocked and surprised as in Alien (both when the thing comes out of his chest, and when they knock of the robot's head.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
"The Crying Game"

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#43]
YES!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#44]
A list for those who know sci-fi.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan  Most realistic space battle ever filmed.
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
Alien
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
The  Terminator 1 & 2
Matrix
Clockwork Orange
Bladerunner
The Thing (1982) aka "John Carpenter's The Thing"
Forbidden Planet

Honorable Mentions:

A Boy and His Dog (1975)   A rather kinky tale of survival
Dr. Stangelove {Or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love The Bomb}
Outland
Marooned (1969) See a NASA that cares enough to do anything to save it's astronauts
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Apollo 13 was a damn good documentary/sci-fi.  I thought I was in that command module at times.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Priss can put me in a leg lock any day  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Yup!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup!

I agree, and not meaning this as an insult to those who said it stunk, but it's a litmus test of a movie-watcher AFAIK.

Generally, if you don't like Bladerunner, your tastes in movies tends to involve more girls in bikinis and car chases with fiery explosions. Bladerunner has action, but it's a cerebral movie and that's what makes it great - it does it all and was very much ahead of its time. If you like pure entertainment, it's not a great movie.

If you like a movie that makes you think, makes you figure things out, and doesn't spell out every damn detail like you're a retard learning to make a pop tart, then Bladerunner is the tops.

My .02
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top