Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2003 9:16:57 PM EDT
i just got home from a golf trip this past weekend. on the way back, we got pulled over by a motorcycle cop on the freeway. we were doing about 85-90 in a 65 mph zone. my buddy was driving his car, i was in the back seat sleeping. anyway, it's pretty obvious he's going to give us a ticket, so we just sit and wait in the car while he's writing it. comes back, hands us the ticket, and it's $495!!! unbelievable. the biggest speeding ticket i ever got was for $170. we felt really bad for our friend. the worst part: he had to eventually tell his wife about it. ouch.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:21:24 PM EDT
In 1984 I got a $350.00 for doing 75+ in a 30mph zone. Nowadays I would probably have been arrested and my car impounded
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:27:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2003 9:30:39 PM EDT by Confederate]
Bet he thinks twice about going 90 in a 65 mph zone next time, not only stupid and dangerous for you, but think about the danger he was putting every other driver on the road in.[:\] My most expensive speeding ticket was for going 60 in a 50 mph zone, it cost me $65 about 22 years ago, I havent had a ticket since then, guess I'm getting old and am in no hurry anymore.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:15:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2003 10:18:09 PM EDT by The_Cheat]
Some donut chaser gave me a ticket for going 35 in a 30 zone 10 years ago or around there. I guess he had to make his quota. I wonder how much it cost hin to get those key marks out of his new car.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:18:52 PM EDT
Hate to tell ya, but DUI's are the "biggest." I had a buddy who was speeding and racing while he was drunk. He's still paying off that ticket.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:19:17 PM EDT
120mph in a 55 in Maine knocked it down to 25mph over the speed limit $175 in 1990
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:23:09 PM EDT
In some states, the penalty is heavy financially instead of having a loss of points on your license - sometimes preferable to loosing the license from suspension, or jacking up insurance rates (not always the case). In some places, the cost goes up almost exponentially. I used to speed a lot as a teenager, my license was eventually suspended without picking up R-22 insurance which was outrageously expensive. Every who drove the speed limit were jerks in my way. Nowadays, spending a LOT of time in backwater middle of nowhere, where there are sometimes NO roads and only getting up to 35mph, I am much more tempered. I also realized that speeding like a maniac only got me where I was going a few minutes faster - big deal, not worth the risk of a ticket the whole way. These days I enjoy driving exactly the speedlimit. I still get up to it quickly, but find no reason to break it. I actually enjoy being the a-hole holding everyone up - screwem, let them pass me. BUWAHAHAHA! Haven't gotten a ticket since, never need a radar detector anymore, still get there cause I just leave a few minutes earlier if it's important. I get off on being the jerk who drives the speed limit. I'm twisted like that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:23:42 PM EDT
Given proper conditions, 90mph is neither stupid nor dangerous. If you think it is, you should not be driving.
Originally Posted By Confederate: Bet he thinks twice about going 90 in a 65 mph zone next time, not only stupid and dangerous for you, but think about the danger he was putting every other driver on the road in.[:\] My most expensive speeding ticket was for going 60 in a 50 mph zone, it cost me $65 about 22 years ago, I havent had a ticket since then, guess I'm getting old and am in no hurry anymore.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:28:01 PM EDT
I been pulled over twice doing 80+ in 55 zone but both times the cop was cool and let me go. I think my biggest actual ticket for speeding was probably around 60-70 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:31:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By rogerdodger: 120mph in a 55 in Maine knocked it down to 25mph over the speed limit $175 in 1990
View Quote
Wow … that’s impressive! [beer]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:33:29 PM EDT
Got ticketed for 118 in a 70. $76 + traffic school [:)]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:34:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog: Given proper conditions, 90mph is neither stupid nor dangerous. If you think it is, you should not be driving.
Originally Posted By Confederate: Bet he thinks twice about going 90 in a 65 mph zone next time, not only stupid and dangerous for you, but think about the danger he was putting every other driver on the road in.[:\] My most expensive speeding ticket was for going 60 in a 50 mph zone, it cost me $65 about 22 years ago, I havent had a ticket since then, guess I'm getting old and am in no hurry anymore.
View Quote
View Quote
If we would inforce some strict driving rules like how it is done in Germany many of the highways in this country could easily handle high speeds.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:41:24 PM EDT
In Finnland they fine you a percentage of what you made for the year. The owner of nokia got a speeding ticket a while back and the % of what he made that year was some astronmical figure. In the hundreds of thousands.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:45:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RomaRana: In Finnland they fine you a percentage of what you made for the year. The owner of nokia got a speeding ticket a while back and the % of what he made that year was some astronmical figure. In the hundreds of thousands.
View Quote
I was gonna mention that, but I thought it was the value of your car, and he was driving a ferrai or something like that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:45:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2003 10:47:50 PM EDT by Confederate]
Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog: Given proper conditions, 90mph is neither stupid nor dangerous. If you think it is, you should not be driving.
Originally Posted By Confederate: Bet he thinks twice about going 90 in a 65 mph zone next time, not only stupid and dangerous for you, but think about the danger he was putting every other driver on the road in.[:\] My most expensive speeding ticket was for going 60 in a 50 mph zone, it cost me $65 about 22 years ago, I haven't had a ticket since then, guess I'm getting old and am in no hurry anymore.
View Quote
View Quote
Sure under the proper conditions, such as an emergency on dry roads with little traffic, or even on a race track, where all of the drivers are prepared for that type of speed, but no conditions requiring that speed were indicated in the original post, so I still say that it is STUPID to go 90 mph in a 65 mph zone and if you get caught without very good reason, you get what you deserve, a nice fine, and or loss of driving privileges (hopefully both if your drunk). Way too many memorial crosses on the sides of the road to suit me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:06:20 PM EDT
My buddy got a 133 in a 65. it was $395 max fine for speeding in OR. I dont see how you could get a $495 ticket for speeding. He also payed $50 for a manditory driving school, but its still ony $445.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:10:05 PM EDT
The only speeding ticket I ever got was in 1967. Doing 48 in a 30mph zone. I was on my motorcycle and I had the Chief Of police's son on the back, who was going out with my sister at the time. The cop told me to follow him to the station. So when we hit a red light, on the way, this asshole tells me he want's to get off. Get's off my bike and walks away. What a pussy! Because I was only 17 my parents had to accompany me to traffic court. Cost me $50 and my parents wouldn't let my drive my bike for 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:20:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By billparadise:
View Quote
View Quote
If we would inforce some strict driving rules like how it is done in Germany many of the highways in this country could easily handle high speeds.
View Quote
Have you ever driven in Germany? I was there this past summer and drove all over from Frankfurt to Oberndorf to Berlin. With their jackass kids in BMWs and their schtaus(sp?) they're worse drivers than the majority over here. I cant remember how many times I saw completely idiotic drivers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:21:01 PM EDT
Interstate. Dry roads. Clear visibility. With a 65 mph speed limit...most traffic is usually doing at least 70-75. Pass a car with a frequency of say...every few minutes. You cant handle that? Are you KIDDING me? You should not be driving. Safety? Speeding tickets are issued as a means for revenue generation...not a matter of public safety. Good reason? I want to travel from point A to point B. As a CCW holder, I'll probably have a gun in the car...or do I need a reason for that too? I simply can not fathom some peoples' need for a nanny government. Just keep on white knuckling it at double-nickel...but turn your damn indicator off.
Originally Posted By Confederate: Sure under the proper conditions, such as an emergency on dry roads with little traffic, or even on a race track, where all of the drivers are prepared for that type of speed, but no conditions requiring that speed were indicated in the original post, so I still say that it is STUPID to go 90 mph in a 65 mph zone and if you get caught without very good reason, you get what you deserve, a nice fine, and or loss of driving privileges (hopefully both if your drunk). Way too many memorial crosses on the sides of the road to suit me.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:28:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2003 11:28:56 PM EDT by Confederate]
OK Zippy, what ever. But wait you have a CCW? Why bother, who needs those old nanny government revenue generating laws?..[:D]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:34:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:35:43 PM EDT
90MPH is not dangerous or stupid.. a newer corvette/camaro/trans-am and mustang GT/mach1 ect. do 90MPH like nothing and hug the road like no ones buisness...even the new BMW's hold the road well, depends on condition and car being driven, 90MPH is not stupid or dangerous
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:42:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER: ...I received two tickets...
View Quote
That sucks man, two tickets in one pop... Im not a big fan of oregon, i just go to school here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:45:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:52:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Originally Posted By dupemaster:
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER: ...I received two tickets...
View Quote
That sucks man, two tickets in one pop... Im not a big fan of oregon, i just go to school here.
View Quote
Oh he talked about a 3rd... Said I needed mudflaps. I told him that 25' camptrailer probably works pretty well for flaps.
View Quote
What a cocksucker...
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:01:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Cheat: Some donut chaser gave me a ticket for going 35 in a 30 zone 10 years ago or around there. I guess he had to make his quota. I wonder how much it cost hin to get those key marks out of his new car.
View Quote
Was that really the right way to handle that? Also think about it, all you did was cause the city to pay to repaint the car. Where does the city get the money from? You just caused them to keep taxes high or keep their "ticket quota" high. I agree under certain circumstances 90 MPH is perfectly safe. I don't write many speeding tickets, usually I write other stuff, stop signs, red lights, illegal lane change etc..... And my department DOES NOT have a quota nor does any of the departments in the OKC area that I know of.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:56:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By raven:
Originally Posted By RomaRana: In Finnland they fine you a percentage of what you made for the year. The owner of nokia got a speeding ticket a while back and the % of what he made that year was some astronmical figure. In the hundreds of thousands.
View Quote
I was gonna mention that, but I thought it was the value of your car, and he was driving a ferrai or something like that.
View Quote
Hell, the Overland PD would be owing me money! I haven't had a speeding ticket in 20 years, nor a parking ticket in 18. [Music: Adam Ant's "Goody Two-Shoes"]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:13:24 AM EDT
This is not BS: When I lived in Phoenix My buddies and I rode our bikes from Phoenix to Payson and back every weekend for breakfast. One Sunday at around 7:00 AM myself and a buddy got a little carried away. I ride a 1002 FZR1000 and my buddy has an R1. We kept "upping" one another on a long straight. I happened to look at the speedo and read 163mph and decided it was time to back off. About 10 minutes later we saw the cherries. The officer told us he was down a fire road when we blew by. He knew we were flying, but he wrote us tickets for 100. I'm 46 yrs old and my buddy is 40. The judge looked like he was around 50 something. When he called us up and read the charge, he looked at us and asked if we were going through a midlife crisis episode and laughed. We got away with going to traffic school.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:26:18 AM EDT
115 in my bosses BMW. Officer knocked it down to 85 in a 55 because my uncle trained him, ticket was about $185. 95 in a 55. $225, but went to drivers school instead. Drag racing, 100+ in a 35. I pulled over for the cop, the guy I was racing ran. The cop gave me a warning and went after the other guy. I was going 140 on a GSXR 750 when a pair of lights pulled up behind me on the freeway. It was a Hiway Patrol in those old Mustang LX 5.0. 140 must have been all he had because I dropped it down a gear and walked away from him. With all of that said, I don't go more than 10 mph over the speed limit and no longer own fast cars or motorcycles anymore.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:39:52 AM EDT
A couple of years ago I got hit for doing 65 in a 55. The only other person on the road was the CHP, who got me with radar. $110.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:54:53 AM EDT
Here's florida's fine chart: [url]http://orangeclerk.onetgov.net/traffic/traffic-fines.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:57:02 AM EDT
I've been pulled over 3 times for speeding in the past 25 years. 1 verbal warning, and 2 written warnings. Lucky!! I rarely go more then 15 over the limit, but I am almost guaranteed to be doing 10 over at any given moment, unless the traffic prevents, then I just get over in the slow lane and watch all the brake lights...
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:13:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rogerdodger: 120mph in a 55 in Maine knocked it down to 25mph over the speed limit $175 in 1990
View Quote
Lucky, in Maine anything 25 MPH over is a "free" trip to jail!!!! Almost happened to me when I was young and dumb. Was doing 100 mph when I saw the cop but I had slowed enough when I crossed the town line into his juristiction I was only doing 74 in a 55!!!! Cost me $76!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:35:04 AM EDT
When I was 2 weeks past my 16th birthday. I bought a 1965 Ford pickup that had a High Performance 429 in it. Me and one of my friends decided to race. I was ticketed for: 132MPH in a 35 Exhibition of acceleration Running a red light Drag racing And trying to evade arrest That was a long time ago, so I don't remember what the ticket cost. But the price I paid when my parents found out was high.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:38:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By eodtech2000:
View Quote
Lucky, in Maine anything 25 MPH over is a "free" trip to jail!!!! Almost happened to me when I was young and dumb. Was doing 100 mph when I saw the cop but I had slowed enough when I crossed the town line into his juristiction I was only doing 74 in a 55!!!! Cost me $76!!!
View Quote
i was young and dumb, coming back from Loring AFB, I95 gets mesmorizing when the road is empty, I just remember him knocking it down to the point of no jail
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:45:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2003 8:47:42 AM EDT by eodtech2000]
Originally Posted By rogerdodger:
Originally Posted By eodtech2000:
View Quote
View Quote
i was young and dumb, coming back from Loring AFB, I95 gets mesmorizing when the road is empty, I just remember him knocking it down to the point of no jail
View Quote
In upstate Maine, you were probably the highlight of a dull day for the cop!!! Not a whole lot North of Bangor, heck not alot north of Augusta!!! Sounds like a local cop got you, the Maine Troopers usually aren't to lieniant!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:47:16 AM EDT
[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1759791.stm]Nokia boss gets record speeding fine [/url] A director of the Finnish telecommunications giant, Nokia, has received what is believed to be the most expensive speeding ticket ever. Anssi Vanjoki, 44, has been ordered to pay a fine of 116,000 euros ([b][blue]$103,600[/b][/blue]) after being caught breaking the speed limit on his Harley Davidson motorbike in the capital, Helsinki, in October last year. Mr Vanjoki is a Harley Davidson enthusiast Police say he was driving at 75 km/h (47 mph) in a 50km/h (31 mph) zone. In Finland, traffic fines are proportionate to the latest available data on an offender's income. Mr Vanjoki has announced he will appeal, because his income has since dropped. Share-price slump Mr Vanjoki had to pay a fine equal to 14 days of his income in 1999, which was about 14 million euros ($12.5 million). Nokia president Pekka Ala-Pietila racked up fine of just 35,000 euros His income had been boosted by large share options, which he cashed in at end of the year. But a newer set of figures - this time without the share options - was published only five days after the incident, and would have resulted in a considerably lower fine. Mr Vanjoki's income fell sharply last year as Nokia's share price plummeted, along with other tech shares, making option sales uneconomical. His fine beats an earlier speeding penalty of 80,000 euros handed down to internet millionaire Jaakko Rytsola. Mr Vanjoki's colleague, Nokia president Pekka Ala-Pietila, was once fined the far lower figure of 35,000 euros. The appeal will be heard on 15 May.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:52:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mattja: A couple of years ago I got hit for doing 65 in a 55. The only other person on the road was the CHP, who got me with radar. $110.
View Quote
That's prtty STEEP for doing 10mi over don't cha think?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:54:12 AM EDT
I think [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=203834&w=searchPop]This guy[/url] might have a bigger ticket than yours.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:04:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fight4yourrights: [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1759791.stm]Nokia boss gets record speeding fine [/url] Mr Vanjoki had to pay a fine equal to 14 days of his income in 1999, which was about 14 million euros ($12.5 million).
View Quote
14 days of income is way too much money for almost anyone. A 14 day share for me would be well over a grand.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:31:50 AM EDT
Fastest I can think of that I've ever written someone for is 93 in a 30 and 108 in a 55.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:38:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Torf:
Originally Posted By fight4yourrights: [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1759791.stm]Nokia boss gets record speeding fine [/url] Mr Vanjoki had to pay a fine equal to 14 days of his income in 1999, which was about 14 million euros ($12.5 million).
View Quote
14 days of income is way too much money for almost anyone. A 14 day share for me would be well over a grand.
View Quote
That's kind of the point - if you dont want to pay the fine, don't speed! It's that simple. I've probably had the biggest ticket on this board, and it was a PARKING TICKET. It was $500 plus the $120 I had to pay for towing. Stpid fucking university police half-wits had my volvo station wagon towed out of the faculty parking lot because I was using a "fraudulent or stolen" permit. I was in fact using a permit that a departing faculty member had given me, because she thought it was paid for until the end of the year. It turns out it wasn't paid for - and so they towed me and gave me the $500 for using a fraudelent permit. I appealed it, explaining that it was an honest mistake (since I believed it was still valid), and the assholes denied my appeal based on the logic that "it clearly says on the permit that it's non-transferable" Guess what - IT DOESN'T!!! I had parking permits from the university from the last five years - plus some from the early 90s - and the all look the same, and none of them say anything about transferability. That was 2 years ago and I'm still bitter. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:48:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fight4yourrights: [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1759791.stm]Nokia boss gets record speeding fine [/url] A director of the Finnish telecommunications giant, Nokia, has received what is believed to be the most expensive speeding ticket ever. Anssi Vanjoki, 44, has been ordered to pay a fine of 116,000 euros ([b][blue]$103,600[/b][/blue]) after being caught breaking the speed limit on his Harley Davidson motorbike in the capital, Helsinki, in October last year. Mr Vanjoki is a Harley Davidson enthusiast Police say he was driving at 75 km/h (47 mph) in a 50km/h (31 mph) zone. In Finland, traffic fines are proportionate to the latest available data on an offender's income. Mr Vanjoki has announced he will appeal, because his income has since dropped. Share-price slump Mr Vanjoki had to pay a fine equal to 14 days of his income in 1999, which was about 14 million euros ($12.5 million). Nokia president Pekka Ala-Pietila racked up fine of just 35,000 euros His income had been boosted by large share options, which he cashed in at end of the year. But a newer set of figures - this time without the share options - was published only five days after the incident, and would have resulted in a considerably lower fine. Mr Vanjoki's income fell sharply last year as Nokia's share price plummeted, along with other tech shares, making option sales uneconomical. His fine beats an earlier speeding penalty of 80,000 euros handed down to internet millionaire Jaakko Rytsola. Mr Vanjoki's colleague, Nokia president Pekka Ala-Pietila, was once fined the far lower figure of 35,000 euros. The appeal will be heard on 15 May.
View Quote
Fucking socialist morons...
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:51:19 AM EDT
Hey-I think Finland has a good point there. How many times have we all seen some assclown in a 65K Mercedes driving like a complete and utter cretin? IMHO, there's something proportional about how much a person's car costs and how badly they drive. Maybe it's because they don't give a shit and can afford another vehicle and higher insurance, and people like me really can't afford (OK, my truck is PAID FOR-I DON'T WANT to afford another truck payment) another vehicle and don't want higher insurance. BTW, in my hotrod years (1977-82) I rarely had my driver's license in my possession-in St. Louis they take your DL as bail and you drive on the written ticket. If you get another moving violation on the ticket, off to the pokey you go, costs (or at least used to) $100 to get out. I have ZERO idea how much cash I put out, but it was a lot because I just wasn't making a lot and spending a shitload on the car and sometimes the GF. I think I got fast and crazy/stupid driving out of my system then. After that I moved to Kalifornistan and skiied in Lake Tahoe a lot, and REALLY got the need for speed out of my system. Now I drive a 4-banger Toyota 4WD and if I hit 85MPH, that's enough for me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:02:01 AM EDT
Those of you who love to spout off "you got what you deserve" literally make me sick.(Confederate) It's one thing to hear it from a bleeding heart liberal, but to hear it from a member of this board is depressing. 90% of traffic is speeding at any given time. (Where the hell do you drive/live?) 90% of traffic tickets are bullshit. Government sponsored Stealing- nothing more, nothing less. And everybody just bends over and takes it, just like a jailhouse bitch. Which is why I know the revolution will never happen. If Americans won't fight when the authorities steal our money, we damned sure aren't goint to fight for something as abstract as "Freedom." Face it, We are nothing more than sheep
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:18:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sherrick13:
Originally Posted By The_Cheat: Some donut chaser gave me a ticket for going 35 in a 30 zone 10 years ago or around there. I guess he had to make his quota. I wonder how much it cost hin to get those key marks out of his new car.
View Quote
Was that really the right way to handle that? Also think about it, all you did was cause the city to pay to repaint the car. Where does the city get the money from? You just caused them to keep taxes high or keep their "ticket quota" high.
View Quote
It was around 10 or so years ago, kinda hard to remember but it wasn't his crusier, it was his personal car, a new Nissan or Toyota, something like that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:25:51 AM EDT
I want to buy you a beer.
Originally Posted By BillofRights: Those of you who love to spout off "you got what you deserve" literally make me sick.(Confederate) It's one thing to hear it from a bleeding heart liberal, but to hear it from a member of this board is depressing. 90% of traffic is speeding at any given time. (Where the hell do you drive/live?) 90% of traffic tickets are bullshit. Government sponsored Stealing- nothing more, nothing less. And everybody just bends over and takes it, just like a jailhouse bitch. Which is why I know the revolution will never happen. If Americans won't fight when the authorities steal our money, we damned sure aren't goint to fight for something as abstract as "Freedom." Face it, We are nothing more than sheep
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:00:38 PM EDT
Aggressive Driving 1999 Statistics on Vehicle Crashes and Speeding 12,626 people were killed in speeding-related crashes, making speeding a factor in 30 percent of all fatal crashes. Of the 12,626 people killed in speeding-related crashes, 5,779 deaths occurred on roads with posted speed limits between 55 and 65 m.p.h., and 880 occurred on roads with a posted speed limit above 65 m.p.h. Speeding-related crashes cost society about $28 billion, or $53,243 per minute, or $887 per second. An estimated $10.5 billion was spent on fatal speeding-related crashes; $13.6 billion in non-fatal speeding-related crashes; and $3.9 billion on speeding-related crashes that resulted in property damage alone. Of those injured in speeding-related crashes, 40,000 suffered serious to critical injuries; 73,000 suffered moderate injuries; and 606,000 sustained minor injuries. Young males are most likely to be speeding and the likelihood of being involved in a speeding-related crash decreases as a driver's age increases. 36 percent of male drivers aged 15 to 20 who were involved in fatal crashes were speeding at the time of the crash. 23 percent of speeding drivers under 21 who were involved in fatal crashes were also intoxicated,* as opposed to 9 percent of nonspeeding drivers in the same age group. 44 percent of speeding drivers between the ages of 21 and 24 who were involved in fatal crashes were intoxicated, compared with 19 percent of nonspeeding drivers in the same age group. 42 percent of all intoxicated drivers who were involved in fatal crashes were also speeding, compared with only 14 percent of sober drivers involved in fatal crashes. 76 percent of speeding drivers who were involved in fatal crashes between midnight and 3:00 a.m. has been drinking.* 41 percent of all motorcyclists involved in fatal crashes were speeding. The percentage of speeding involvement in fatal crashes was approximately twice as high for motorcyclists as for drivers of passenger cars or light trucks, and the percentage of alcohol involvement was approximately 50 percent greater for motorcyclists. 39 percent of speeding passenger vehicle drivers under 21 who were involved in fatal crashes were wearing safety belts, as compared with 61 percent of nonspeeding drivers in the same age group. 37 percent of speeding passenger vehicle drivers age 21 and over who were involved in fatal crashes were restrained, compared with 65 percent of nonspeeding drivers in the same age group. 20 percent of speeding drivers involved in fatal accidents had an invalid license at the time of the crash, compared with 9 percent of nonspeeding drivers. Speeding was a factor in 29 percent of fatal crashes that occurred on dry roads and 32 percent of those that occurred on wet roads. Speeding was a factor in 48 percent of fatal crashes that occurred when there was snow or slush on the road and 54 percent of those that occurred on icy roads. Speeding was involved in more than one-third of fatal crashes that occurred in construction/maintenance zones. 86 percent of speeding-related deaths occurred on roads that were non-interstate highways. 43 percent of speeding-related fatalities occurred on roadways that were non-Interstate highways with a speed limit of 55 m.p.h. and above. 14 percent of speeding-related fatalities occurred on interstate highways. 39 percent of speeding fatalities occurred on non-interstates where the speed limit was under 55 m.p.h. *An accident is alcohol-related if either a driver or nonoccupant (for example, a pedestrian) had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .01 grams per deciliter or greater in a police-reported traffic crash. A person with a BAC of .10 grams per deciliter or greater is considered to be intoxicated. Those with BACs of .01 to .09 are considered to have been drinking alcohol, but not intoxicated.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:20:25 PM EDT
Sure under the proper conditions, such as an emergency on dry roads with little traffic, or even on a race track, where all of the drivers are prepared for that type of speed, but no conditions requiring that speed were indicated in the original post, so I still say that it is STUPID to go 90 mph in a 65 mph zone and if you get caught without very good reason, you get what you deserve, a nice fine, and or loss of driving privileges (hopefully both if your drunk). Way too many memorial crosses on the sides of the road to suit me.
View Quote
Obviously, you've never driven on I-5 in the CA central valley or some of the highways in NV.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:42:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Confederate: Aggressive Driving 1999 Statistics on Vehicle Crashes and Speeding 12,626 people were killed in speeding-related yada yada yada ........ BACs of .01 to .09 are considered to have been drinking alcohol, but not intoxicated.
View Quote
Yep, we all get it: SPEED KILLS or more correctly, stupidity kills. It's not really the speed, you see, it's the sudden deceleration. It has to do with kinetic energy, and Newtonian physics. My point is that some drivers are safe above the posted limit, and some are unsafe at any speed. I am not defending the guys here bragging about driving at 140 mph, that is behavior that should be punished. I'm talking about the courts stealing hard earned money from people who are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Using statistics to bolster your argument is as stupid as when the Brady Bunch says that guns should be banned because having one in your house makes you statistically more likely to be shot. Of COURSE the majority of accidents involve speeding. The majority of DRIVING involves speeding. Be honest, look around and observe the next time you are driving somewhere. 90+ % of the cars are going above the posted limit. This fact alone proves that most traffic tickets are unjust. The police are making criminals out of people that are just trying to live their lives. In the past I have dreamed that we would have more freedom today, if the South had won the war of Northern aggression. However, if your Confederate forefathers were as eager as you are to criminalize everything, it's probably a good thing they lost. We must hand out MORE tickets-Do it for the children.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:03:53 AM EDT
I only speed on empty roads. But when I go for speed, I go all out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top