Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 11:22:52 PM EDT

Full-boar invasion of suburbs
DANIELLE JESSER and DAMIEN STANNARD
28aug05
THIS massive boar – one of the largest caught in Queensland – shows how big the feral pig problem has become.

Hunters say the beasts are growing to monstrous size as farmers fight a losing battle against the pests.

The pigs are becoming more brazen as they take to the suburbs of north Queensland in search of food, destroying gardens and lawns in Cairns and Airlie Beach.

Hunter Wayne Haldane has caught what is thought to be one of the biggest ferals in Queensland near his home in Kennedy, north of Cardwell.

The boar weighed 270kg and the only scales that could hold it were electronic ones used to weigh cattle.

Most feral pigs, which hide in sugar cane, weigh 60kg-150kg.

"I've caught plenty of pigs but never anything the size of this one," Mr Haldane said. "He must have been on good tucker."

While no official records of pig weights are kept, State Department of Natural Resources spokesman Steve Matheson said it was the biggest pig the department had heard about.

Mr Matheson said the pig would have been living on bananas rather than just sugar cane.

Mr Haldane said he thought feral pig numbers were rising, especially in areas that bordered national parks.

"Pigs are more cunning than most people think. These big old boars don't get that big by being stupid."

Mr Haldane and friends Jamie Bush and Jason Carter tracked the pig for more than three hours. They took three dogs and covered about 4km.

"They do a ridiculous amount of damage to the sugar cane and bananas. Any dead pig is a good pig."

Researchers hope a vegetable sausage that smells like fish might help deliver poison baits to the estimated 23 million feral pigs nationally.

This month, Cairns man Rod McKechnie had to defend himself with a shovel when a 60kg feral pig charged him in suburban Redlynch when he tried to shoo it from a playground.

A 40kg feral pig that moved into the Townsville suburb of Annandale in June has gone to ground.

The reclusive beast, known as Stinky to residents, has eluded all Townsville City Council's attempts to trap it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
That thing is huge. Unbelievable.

ETA: What caliber would be best for a gargantuan pig such as that one?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That thing is huge. Unbelievable.

ETA: What caliber would be best for a gargantuan pig such as that one?

A bow.

No more guns in Aus, right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw a pig that I would estimate to be bigger than that one by a good 100-150 pounds.  It was in a trash dump on a ranch in Webb Co. TX.  Almost literally scared the shit out of me.  Did scare a bit of piss out of me.

Nothing more scary than going to the trash dump at night, get out of the truck, chunk a bag of garbage into the pit and seeing a ginormous white & gray pig running and squealing.

Damn shame the pit was within a mile of camp.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a lot of Bacon hanging there
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I was thinking ribs
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking ribs

Pulled pork BBQ.......
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Too big to eat, most likely.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking ribs

Pulled pork BBQ.......

Honey baked ham
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#9]
let it bloat and drop it on a target in Iraq
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Mecca
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm OK with that too...

Burley kind of ruined the BBQ anyway
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey, I'm just telling the truth.  Once a pig gets that big, they're not much for the skillet or smoker.

You want a good 100-150 lb. porker.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like they've got another very BIG reason to allow their citizens to own and carry guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top