Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 2:58:23 PM EDT
Ok I have a problem. I have a headset and I know you press b inorder to talk to you squad members but they can't hear me. So can you guys help to figure out whats going on thanks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Server your on is supposed to have voice on. Some don't.

Did you get the speaker ICON to go on BF2?

If it did go on, but no sound, check soundcard settings.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes this server had voice chat and I did get the speaker icon when I preessed "b". So I have to check my soundcard settings. How would I do that?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Icon should go on. If it doesn't server either has VOIP turned off or check your keyboard mapping.

Default keys:
B = Team squad
V = Commander speak
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]
You also have to be in a squad.

Nick
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Before you try BF2, use the sound recorder in Windows to see if your mic is working outside of BF2.. if it is... Use the test settings in BF2 to see if you can hear yourself with the mic and check the levels. Sometimes having the boost set to on will help.

-d
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I know about the Void servers and you have to press "B" and in a squad but it still doesn't work. I tried playing with my audio setting but it still doesn't work. So can you guys help me with whats going on?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know about the Void servers and you have to press "B" and in a squad but it still doesn't work. I tried playing with my audio setting but it still doesn't work. So can you guys help me with whats going on?

Right click on your volume control in the task bar... then go to Open Volume Control, click on Options, then select Properties... change the selection to "Recording" and then click okay. Make sure your microphone is selected as the input. Then turn the volume slider up all the way. If it has a button under it named Advanced, click on that and turn on the Microphone boost if available.

Now load up your Sound recorder program, and see if you get any input from the mic. If you still don't.. make sure it is plugged into the right port on the back of the pc and that if there is a volume control inline on your mic/headset, that the mic is turned on there too.

-d
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Dizza, I tried that and it seems to want to work but when I try the sound recorder my voice is muffled. So do you know what I can do to fix it thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dizza, I tried that and it seems to want to work but when I try the sound recorder my voice is muffled. So do you know what I can do to fix it thanks

Does your mic have a volume control inline? If so, turn that all the way up. Then go into the volume controls for the recording side, and make sure your mic is turned all the way up.

It might be that you have a bad mic.

-d
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#10]
With my sound card's 5.1 sound, you can select different input lines (INPUT/ MIC/ etc..).

I have to make sure my "input line" is set to "MIC" (or what ever you microphone is plugged into), to hear my microphone.

Every now and then it gets switched, and I have to go into my sound card control panel to change the input line back to "MIC".

Also make sure you MIC isn't set to MUTE in you sound card control panel. You can aslo adjust the input/output volume in your sound card control panel.

Let us know what soundcard or built in soundcard/motherboard combo you have.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Dizza, What do you mean by a the volume control inline? Do you mean a volume switch on the mic itself. If you do then no my mic doesn't have one. I have turned the volume controls up for the recording side and I still get a muffled voice.

Redhorse, I have already checked to make sure the mic isn't set to mute. How would you be able to adjust your input/output volume in your sound card control panel? There is two things that control the sound. One I believe is the windows version and the other is a VIA technologies ver. 1.21. Maybe that might be the problem with the two programs conflicting?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Redhorse, I have already checked to make sure the mic isn't set to mute. How would you be able to adjust your input/output volume in your sound card control panel? There is two things that control the sound. One I believe is the windows version and the other is a VIA technologies ver. 1.21. Maybe that might be the problem with the two programs conflicting?

They shouldn't conflict at all. The VIA control panel adjusts the same controls that the Windows one does. They just like to make their own with some other features. hmm... I can't think of anything else that might be causing your problems. Mics are pretty straight forward things. I'd suggest going to a local Best Buy or other store and pick up a cheap mic and try that.

-d
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah it looks like I will have to get another mic. Thanks guys for you help
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Use the VIA controls. You should have more control over your sound setings. There may be an ADVANCED sound settings screen (tab/ box/button), you may have more options in the advanced screen.

The Windows sound control will be more generic....but check it anyways.

Here is the basic view of my built in MB soundcard "nvMixer". Check your VIA sound settings to see if there is a MIC BOOST. Otherwise set the volume level high enough where it sounds good enough, but not distorted.

That drop down menu in my INPUT area gets changed every now and the by other apps I use. I have to go in here to change back to Microphone in order for my MIC to work in game & TeamSpeak.

My BF2 sound settings. Use the "START MICROPHONE TEST" button to see how the VOIP sound level/quality will sound in game.

I'm not sure if you have your BF2 sound card renderer set to HARDWARE/ HIGH/ EAX? If you do, try going back to software renderer. As there are only certain sound cards that are supported in HARDWARE mode. Mine happens to be one of them. There is a list (text file) of supported sound cards in the BF2 directory.

When you eventually start using TeamSpeak (much better than the ingame BF2 VOIP), you also have another microphone settings to configure. It's real easy to use and it also has a microphone test button. So, that you can hear the sound quality/ level of your Mic.

Check VIA website to see if you have the newest drivers and control software.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top