Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2001 9:16:29 PM EDT
i know a guy who can shave with his axe.
i know you dont need to but hey, thats pretty neat

whats the best way that y'all use to sharpen knives, tools, etc...

ive always been pretty awful at it
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I still use Arkansas stones and oil just as my grandfather taught me.  I've never used them to sharpen an axe, but my knives will shave.

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my Lansky, but it's a slow, laborious process. Everyone should learn on how to use a whetstone. I'm not the best at it yet, but I'm working on it. My dad can put an edge on anything using a whetstone, as sharp as you would ever need, and in just a few minutes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 2:36:22 AM EDT
[#5]
the cool thing about having once been a knife dealer is that i got to try out all of the neat sharpening stuff. some good, some bad. some work, some dont. after all of it i still use an arkansas stone for just about everything.

[url]http://www.bladeforums.com/[/url]
lots of info here. very nice people that can give ya all of the axe,hatchet,knife,
sword,whatever sharpening info ya need.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I still use a whetstone for most cutting edges, an Arkansas stone set for anything important. I don't use oil anymore as I have found that Dawn dish detergent works better than oil.
I have also found that by putting a razor edge on most any blade tends to not last very long. If you use it for anything aside from shaving, it becomes a wire edge very quickly.
Just my personal experience.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
one word.

Lansky
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Everybodys got it right. Lanskey kits are the best.Perfect edge every time if the directions are followed. Mine gets used all the time between my knives and my friends. They all want that razor edge that I always seem to have on my pocketknife!
Here's a little trick my dad taught me. Take a sharpened knife and use it till it gets kind of dull(not razor edged anymore). Now you'd think its time to stone it again right? Wrong. Take the blade and sweep each side of the edge across a stiff cardboard  box.(spine to edge, like stropping a good flip razor) Two or three passes and you have a razor edge again. The edge doesnt really go away, it just gets rolled over during use and after time the rolled edge gets worn down.It can be brought back easily by swiping it on some cardboard.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I strop all my knives after I sharpen them. It doesn't get it that much sharper, but it does polish the edge, almost like a really skinny mirror. Some knives are plenty sharp but the edge has tiny grooves in it from the stone, which can be an advantage (almost works like micro-serrations) but if you have ever tried to shave with one like that it kinda hurts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Dont know about the best way but I use the spyderco double angle stones, fast and easy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 3:21:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 3:39:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Any web link to Lansky ???
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 3:43:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Some knives are plenty sharp but the edge has tiny grooves in it from the stone, which can be an advantage (almost works like micro-serrations)
View Quote

"Cutting" is sort of a misnomer.  Fifteen or twenty years ago I read an article about a knife maker who used obsidian (remember arrowheads?) for knife blades.  He had made scalpels for a few plastic surgeons.  According to the surgeons incisions are actually  multiple tears.  The sharper the blade the smaller and more uniform the tears and the less visible the resulting scar.  These doctors felt the obsidian blades were sharper than steel.  

GWF, I'm going to give the Dawn a try.  Thanks.

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 3:54:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[url]www.lansky.com[/url] Enjoy.

Also see [url]www.eze-lap.com[/url]
View Quote

Thanks for the info!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:14:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#18]
The stones/oil will get you most of the way but if you want razor sharp I'd recommend stropping as the final stage.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#19]
My [i]Lansky Deluxe Diamond Knife Sharpening System[/i] just got delivered yersterday.
So far I'm impressed.
I bought it specifically to put my factory quality edge back on my Benchmade 9100 automatic.
Because of it's thick Tanto blade I had trouble getting one.
I'm still a big fan of an Arkansas stone too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the "knack" for using whetstones, and I've also tried the Lansky system (which does work).  I prefer the Spyderco Triangle sharpening system to both.  Especially if you buy the diamond speed sleeves, it will put a frighteningly sharp edge on a blunt knife very quickly, will sharpen serrated knives, chisels, scissors, basically ANYTHING that cuts.  It requires no oil or other lubricants, so it is clean too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#22]
About the obsidian scalpels... I recall reading a few years ago about a speceifc acomparison. IIRC, The best steel scalpels can be sharpened to an edge thickness of about 50 microns. The obsidian could be made to an edge thickness of just a few microns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top