Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/22/2005 4:50:36 AM EDT
Prompted by the recent threads with the videos of that women being pulled out of her car and beaten to a bloody pulp. Which gun would you choose as your only defense against an angry mob out for your blood? Let's say you are sitting in your car when you are boxed in by other cards and then surrounded. You get one gun that can be stored in the back seat with only one extra mag worth of ammo. You have enough time to grab it, load it, and then get to high ground on top of your own car to start defending your life.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Uzi or shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Flamethrower of some sort would kick ass in that situation   h.gif .
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Option A....no question

not sure what that shotgun will do for you after you expell the 9 shells in the chamber
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Belt fed  

- or -

weed wacker  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#6]
60 rounds of ammo out of an M4/11.5" M16 would most likely do a damn good job of telling people to FOAD.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Street-Sweeper

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:04:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Whatever has the most penetration with the least wounding. I want each bullet to pass through 2 or 3 bodies.
So, I'd say either the AR or AK with FMJ loads.

I have a good feeling most of those guys would hit the dirt once they had a hole in them, regardless of the actual severity of the hole.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:07:17 AM EDT
[#9]
None of the above.

HK51 with the rare HK Drum magazine.

Penetration, punch, capacity, compactness.

That's what I would want. Cold chew my way out with that thing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#10]
AR15, but I would rather have a 16".

Plus there is a fear factor with most out there that may think you have a machine gun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:08:15 AM EDT
[#11]
If one is actually SURROUNDED by an angry mob, I think you're going down no matter what weapon you have.  This is the voice of experience.
Of course, possession of a weapon gives you the ability to take some of them with you which is, I guess, some small comfort.
I'd probably pick my SuperLight Bushmaster AR w/30 round mag. in that particular situation.  
If I weren't actually surrounded and could keep the mob in front of me, it would be a toss-up between the AR and my Mossberg 590.  The more distance I had to work with, out to say, 50 yards, I'd lean more toward the shotgun on the theory that if I had to shoot into a fairly large area type target, more projectiles flying in the general direction of the threat with each trigger squeeze would probably discourage more people the fastest.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Flamethrower of some sort would kick ass in that situation   .

www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car

(with link to video)

Flamethrower now an option on S. African cars

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (CNN) -- Crime-obsessed South Africans have a powerful new weapon with which to stop likely criminals: the car flamethrower.

Casting a man-high fireball, reportedly with no damage to the paint, the Blaster has been placed on 25 South African vehicles since its introduction last month.

At 3,900 rand ($655), it offers a cheap, dramatic defense against carjackers. It has yet to be deemed illegal.

South African courts allow killing if convinced that it's in self-defense. The defense is not unheard of. In last year's 13,000 carjackings, criminals often brandished weapons or used them with little provocation.

The Blaster squirts liquefied gas from a bottle in the automobile's trunk through two nozzles, located under the front doors. The gas is then ignited by an electric spark, with fiery consequences.

Both sides flame at the same time, regardless of whether the attack is coming from just one side of the vehicle, or whether passersby are on the other side. But the breadth and depth of blast can be modified according to individual preference.

There was a thread posted here not to long ago about some lucky GI over in Iraq who bought Sadaam Husseins car in an auction and the car was equipped with side-mounted flamethrowers.

ETA...

I remember reading something years ago about another crowd control weapon that was also developed by the South Africans. It was a turret shaped affair that sat on top of an armored vehicle/troop carrier/etc.

It was mounted with something like (30-40- a lot?) 12 gauge shotgun barrels facing 360 degrees and downwards. It was called the "Spider" or something similar to that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:12:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#14]
m-249 with a very large ammo belt

txl

eta:  nothing means business like a belt fed weapon (jarhead_22)

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Why can't some people comprehend how a poll works? The choices are limited to what the pollster lists. Jeez!

"Fix Bayonets!"

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:43:07 AM EDT
[#16]
m-590 with the dragonbreath rounds
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:43:25 AM EDT
[#17]
AR-pistol

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#18]
The obvious answer to anybody who has played Doom:  a chaingun (anybody have that animated .gif from Predator of the chaingun mowing down the jungle?)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#19]
... Picked #1 however, a short-barreled, belt-fed 1919 on a tripod gimbal would seem to work rather well too
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#21]
8X10 Photo of Hillary Clinton
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#22]
need something like claymores, but forget the new tank antipersonnel round designed for "back scratching" - guess 120mm shotgun shell would work well.

If they are motivated, you are pretty much toast.  Probably should search for zombie threads for ideas on this one.

What about the light saber option - worked really well for the Jeti
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd take a Thompson with a 100 round drum.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#24]
1919A
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Picked pistol.  
Paritcularly a .45acp w/ Hi Cap mags and RBCD ammo.  You can fight w/ a handgun more effectively in immediate CQC than with a long gun.  No sense in having a long gun doing short work.  The RBCD rounds will provide plenty of visible catastrophic damage at 2000 fps (read: large gaping flesh wounds) and approaching rifle velocity. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:53:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't see "rape whistle" anywhere on the list, so I'm going to vote for "cell phone".
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#28]
The first two options of the poll.
A Saiga 12K with short barrel, and a ton of mags.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Best solution is to not get into that situation.
If you ARE in that situation, the odds are against you regardless of what weapon you have, because you are exposed on top of a car and they'll most likely come at you from whatever direction you are not looking, especially after you deplete your ammo. You also expose yourself to return fire in that location. Use your initial rounds to clear a path to a defensible position before you need to reload.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:02:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Picked pistol.  
Paritcularly a .45acp w/ Hi Cap mags and RBCD ammo.  You can fight w/ a handgun more effectively in immediate CQC than with a long gun.  No sense in having a long gun doing short work.  The RBCD rounds will provide plenty of visible catastrophic damage at 2000 fps (read: large gaping flesh wounds) and approaching rifle velocity. YMMV

Yeah, if the mob attacking you are warm pot roasts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#31]
A Full auto AK carbine with a 75 round drum, and plenty more for reloads. Hey, wait a minute, you guys who talk about zombie guns could take some advide, this is almost what would happen if you got surrounded by a bloodthirsty hoard. (read zombies)
The perfect man portable option would be a belt-fed full auto shotgun!!!!!! "Lets Rockkkk!"
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Almost any firearm will do; the reality is that the mob would take off after the first three or four went down. Are you going to stick around after you hear "pop-pop-pop", some screaming, and some guys hit the pavement? A high cap handgun would do nicely, and would be easily deployed from concealment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:24:57 AM EDT
[#33]
HK51B. .308 belt fed rifle with an 8 inch barrel. Huge muzzle flash with a belt as long as you can carry.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
HK51B. .308 belt fed rifle with an 8 inch barrel. Huge muzzle flash with a belt as long as you can carry.

Yep definitely the way to go.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Picked pistol.  

Yeah, if the mob attacking you are warm pot roasts.

Ladies and Gent's
We have an expert on Warm Pot Roasts
I repeat.
We have an expert on Warm Pot Roasts
that is all.

hey,  you don't happen to live in a Northern state and profile Mexicans do you?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Ma Duece or Mini-Gun for the crowd in THAT video!

Air Strike with Napalm would work good too
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:48:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Hand grenade!

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Whatever has the most penetration with the least wounding. I want each bullet to pass through 2 or 3 bodies.

I have a good feeling most of those guys would hit the dirt once they had a hole in them, regardless of the actual severity of the hole.

+1. over penetration is a desireable trait in that sit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#39]
If  mob rushes you they will get you no matter how many you shoot. At that point you will need to prevent your gun from being used on yourself or being shoved up your ass.  This is much easier to do with a pistol than a long gun, you WILL  lose a long gun. You will probably be able to save a pistol if you don't get knocked out.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#40]
an mp5k pdw with a beta c mag full of hydra shocks

does beta even make a c-mag for the mp5?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Plasma rifle 40 watts, with the wide angle action.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#42]
ICBM called in broken arrow style. It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#43]
they don't call it a street sweeper for nothing
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#44]
FN P90. I love the belt fed M249 fantasy! Good luck manuevering that INSIDE a car. Cant really be done easily plus half the other items mentioned here are long and unwieldy, making them easy to snatch away.

The VERY short FN P90 is perfect. You can shoot it from under your arm, it has a 50-round magazine, little recoil for follow-up shorts and its very hard to snatch away. I cant think of a better firearm. I'll take a P90 over an 8-shot shot-gun anyday for this specific situation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Winchester 1300 Defender pump action loaded with 12 rounds of the Aquila shorty shotgun ammo, alternating between their buckshot and birdshot loads for six of each.

I'm with the others who say your only chance is shock value at this point, and I'm wanting to get as many shots off as possible.  I've used the Aquila rounds and they pack a surprising amount of punch for their size (i compare to a slightly underloaded 20 guage round).

Only in a short 18 in gun you still get 12 shots.

Not a bad compromise.

I'd also have my sidearm, of course.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Whatever weapon you're most comfortable and proficient with. For me, any AR-type carbine will do nicely.

I maintain that people will start running as soon as bodies start hitting the pavement. In my case, they might (unlikely) get my rifle, but it's gonna be empty. They'll have to resort to clubbing me with it.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Stand on the accellerator and run them down.  You have a 4000 lb weapon at your disposal.  

ETA:  Oops, you are boxed in.  Your lack of situational awareness has most likely gotten you killed - an angry mob aint that hard to see from a distance.  I would pick a para FAL.  Close range head shots with a .308 are messy, and being covered in someone else's brains may discourage the others.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#48]
If I was in a car with an approaching mob moving in, I'd rather have a few CS grenades. I'd toss those out the windows to disperse the mob, then I'd gun it, running over anyone who got in my way.

Nah wait, screw that. Give me a fire truck with a 1250 gallon tank and a deluge gun mounted on top. Nothing like knocking people around like bowling pins with a wall of water. Muhahahahahahahahahaha.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If one is actually SURROUNDED by an angry mob, I think you're going down no matter what weapon you have.  This is the voice of experience.

That may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on ARFCOM.  Let's assume that your initial statement is true (I don't doubt that it is).  If you know from EXPERIENCE, and you're here TYPING ABOUT IT, doesn't that disprove your statement?  

I'll give that a minute to sink in...

Maybe in your experience you were part of the mob.

Now on to the next statement(s):

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. over penetration is a desireable trait in that sit.

Read the Ammo Oracle or THIS.  Look for words like FRAGMENTATION (Re: AR FMJ loads)

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#50]

I want one!

M134 would be good tho
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top