BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2005 1:32:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
MY checking account.  It will be used wisely.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
depends on your situation.

many financial planners will work out a comprehensive plan for you... for free!

They make money when you invest with them, and their investments (of your money) pay off they take a percentage.

One of my friends is a planner like that for AG Edwards. Thing is, you will probably want to put more than $1000 in to have your money go to work for you.

IBeveryonetellsyoutobuyammo
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Like stocks?

nvidia
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Got an IRA started?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
IF you owe on Credit Cards or have instalment payments (furniture, car, etc) with interest, I'd take care of those first......
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#6]
In your gun safe...in the form of a gun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Iraqi cash. Right now it's worth $.001.Yes, that's one tenth of one cent.  It has been as high as $3. The new money has all the counterfiet protection( a major problem before).
Iraq sits on the second largest oil fields in the world.

They just passed a new .GOV and they have the backing of the only superpower in the world.  I would bet their cash will go up, And if you beleive in the war, put your money were your mouth is.

http://betoniraq.com/
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Got an IRA started?

+1
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm paying 2%.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
IRA invested in no load mutual funds.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]
$1K aint all that much to really diversify with. There are multiple different options of course, no load mutual funds, online bank accounts (emigrantdirect), etc all depends on what kind of risks you are willing to make.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#13]
cookie jar

or towards any debts you may have
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#14]
      GOLD
Bought at about $439 . it is $500 now and is expected to go up this next year..
Demand in Asia and speculation by Large banks in Europe and USA, as well as inflation.

You dont get the metal, just a certificate [
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#15]
CD or money market.  There's a local credit union that was advertising a 7-month $500 CD at 4.7% interest.  Or let it sit in an IRA.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#16]
can't believe no one has said 'hookers and blow' yet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
can't believe no one has said 'hookers and blow' yet.

Get both!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Check out this MUT. Fund sybl--FF
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Pay off credit card debt first if you have any, then worry about investing. As far as where to invest, only YOU can make that determination based on YOUR needs and investing profile.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#20]
This doesn't sound like a long term investment question.  An IRA would be good only if you don't plan on touching it until retirement.  Otherwise, you'd incur significant tax penalties for taking it out.  Gold is at a 20 year high, therefore I wouldn't necessarily recommend that.  I prefer to buy low.  Mutual funds are great, but just like the stock market, it's pure speculation... unless you've done a fair amount of research into what your buying.  A guaranteed safe bet is a CD (certificate of depoit) with your local bank, although you should only expect a modest return of a about 5%.  Honestly, that's not too much different than stashing it in a cookie jar, but there's no risk of losing money.  At the very least you should put it in a savings account and just save it for a rainy day.  Everyone has a rainy day at some point or another.

ETA:  Best advice other than this is to pay off any credit card debts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Near mint Venezuelan FN49. They are pretty easy to find in excellent to near mint condition, and they only made 8003 of them. I bought a near mint one a year ago for $850. I bet I could get $1000-$1200 for it today. These are examples of incredible FN craftsmanship. The only drawback is the caliber (7mm mauser). This is something that is certain to go up quickly in value (15-20% a year) and will be a pleasure to own. My second choice would be WWII US firearms.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Iraqi cash. Right now it's worth $.001.Yes, that's one tenth of one cent.  It has been as high as $3. The new money has all the counterfiet protection( a major problem before).
Iraq sits on the second largest oil fields in the world.

They just passed a new .GOV and they have the backing of the only superpower in the world.  I would bet their cash will go up, And if you beleive in the war, put your money were your mouth is.

http://betoniraq.com/

hmmmmm  interesting

No kidding. Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Send it right over!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#24]
First pay off any debt that you might have.

When you are debt free, talk with a Certified Financial Planner and invest in mutual funds.  Then never touch it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#25]
A couple of CMP Garands.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
yea i know it's not much but i might as well put it to work rather than just sit in my checking account.

any suggestions?

Buy some stripped lowers.  (that's what I did)
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Look into Genentech stock.  I dare say it has been one of the top five over the last six years and their pipeline is VERY STRONG.

Blake
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
A couple of CMP Garands.

Individual Retirement Account...

Save all you can for when your work days are over...

Hard to buy ammo on Social Security alone
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
      GOLD
Demand in Asia and speculation by Large banks in Europe and USA, as well as inflation.

Uhh... bad investment now.  We bought a lot right after 9/11.  The price is too high now to buy.  Chances of gold increasing substantially in value now are not particularly good.  We bought it by the coin.  It sits in a safe right now.  Nice to have on hand for SHTF.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
      GOLD

Uhh... bad investment now.  We bought a lot right after 9/11.  The price is too high now to buy.  Chances of gold increasing substantially in value now are not particularly good.  We bought it by the coin.  It sits in a safe right now.  Nice to have on hand for SHTF.  

I've been known to have a few Kugerrands laying around (sp?) for SHTF...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Look into Genentech stock.  I dare say it has been one of the top five over the last six years and their pipeline is VERY STRONG.

Blake

Yes, the last 6 years have been good as is their pipeline however it's stock is overvalued and at a 5 year high.  It's more of a 'hold' stock than a 'buy' stock right now.  

GENENTECH:  Good Company, Bad Investment.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#34]
1K isn't even enough to open a trading account.  As others said, pay off your debt.  If you are debt free, I actually see firearms/ammo as a good investment.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
CD or money market.  There's a local credit union that was advertising a 7-month $500 CD at 4.7% interest.  Or let it sit in an IRA.  

thats AWSOME
where can I do a search and find if thres any of them near me?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats AWSOME
where can I do a search and find if thres any of them near me?

US Gov I-Bonds (savings bonds) are yielding over 6% for the next six months...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow.  Threads like these are why I refuse to take investment advice from anyone with a net worth less than mine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#38]
The Iraq cash link was an interesting read....... Did anyone notice the joke at the end ?

The Pope is visiting Washington, D.C., and President Bush takes him out for an afternoon on the Potomac, sailing on the Presidential yacht, the Sequoia. They're admiring the sights when, all of a sudden, the Pope's hat (zucchetto) blows off his head and out into the water. Secret Service guys start to launch a boat, but president Bush waves them off, saying, "Wait, wait. I'll take care of this. Don't worry." Bush then steps off the yacht onto the surface of the water and walks out to the Holy Father's little hat, bends over picks it up, then walks back to the yacht and climbs aboard. He hands the hat to the Pope amid stunned silence. The next morning, the headlines in the New York Times, Boston Globe, Atlanta Constitution, Washington Post, Boston Herald, Buffalo News, Houston Chronicle, Milwaukee Sentinel-Journal, Minneapolis Tribune, Denver Post, Albuquerque Journal, Los Angeles Times and San Francisco Chronicle all proclaim: "Bush Can't Swim!"

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#39]
lotto tickets!  the scratch off kind!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Wow.  Threads like these are why I refuse to take investment advice from anyone with a net worth less than mine.

Hey, I have 3 condos in FL to sell ya, they will be great long term investments, real-estate can only go up, right?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I would suggest Google stock.

You can buy 2.33 shares with $1,000.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

OK big boy, just what is your net worth?

Blake
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Start by investing in a pair of glasses... you obviously missed the Business & Investing forum.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
IRA invested in no load mutual funds.

A big +1   Look into Putnam B funds.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#45]
1.5 FN five - sevens.  B4 they get banned LOL LOL
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#46]
How about some Simple green and Oxy clean to get that dead hooker smell out of the trunk?

ARH

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#47]
How about by not asking on this website, where you will get MAYBE one post per page of good advice...

What I would do in your situation depends on your situation (how much is $1k worth to you? you age? so on). If you just want a way to hold on to the money you have (long term) and maybe stay slightly ahead of inflation, I'd just stick with a decent index fund which covers most sectors (eg, S&P's).

It IS possible to make some $ off a boiler-room scheme, but you need to be smart about it (eg, to sell off gradually, hopefully selling everything just before those involved dump their shares). It's definitely been done, and not by the greedy investor.

Iraqi cash? MAYBE if it's a currency that is going to be KEPT, LONG TERM. Odds are, they'll just go to a new currency once the major troubles are dealt with and their economy grows stronger; but hey, depends on how much your money is worth to you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#48]
If you're thinking about adding it to your stock market account, I've been on a foreign mutual funds and ETFs kick for the last three years.  Australia and Eastern Europe are both doing very well, up around 33% this year last time I looked.  Korea is up something like 45% this year, IIRC.  Wouldn't recommend Taiwan as the economy is being gutted by China and their stock market hasn't moved much in two years.  Japan was up about 10% and seems to be growing well again.

Aus is EWA, Korea is EWY, Japan is EWJ.  I think I had to use mutual funds to focus on Eastern Europe, don't recal the symbols offhand.

You can also get S&P 500 "spiders", symbol SPY, to get a good chunk of the market.

Individual stocks, I've done very nicely with Cemex (CX), the Mexican/LatAm cement producer.  It's up 150% in the last 3+ years.  I bought it because of its high dividend at the time (5% yield).  I've heard that China is going to take over the world's cement markets in a year or two, though, so watch yourself.

You can open a stock market account for only $500 at several of the online brokerages.  Try Scottrade or E*Trade.

I also bought puts on MSO (twice successfully, once disastrously).  If it runs up again I'll be glad to buy more.  You could still short it if you can find shares to short, but I wouldn't recommend options right now as it is not overpriced enough;  look for it to hit at least the mid-20's and then watch for it to start to collapse on high volume as the signal to jump in.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#49]
ammo, america new gold

case in point, couple of years ago I use to buy XM193 for 150 per 1k, now its 220.00 if you can find it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK big boy, just what is your net worth?

Blake

The post was referring to the ever-present shitty advice, and was not a statement about anyone's net worth vs mine.  You'd only call bullshit if I stated a number anyway.

The point is, never take investment advice from someone who knows no more than you about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top