Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 7:28:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1

The likely reason--

I am a bow hunter too, and I do my own butchering (have a commercial grinder, etc.), and I shoot all my deer (if possible) by hitting them behind the front shoulder, in the rib cage, same as with an arrow.  Each front shoulder has about five pounds of burger meat in it, so I do not want to waste them.  Not to sound like a know-it-all, but I've shot enough deer that I'm beyond the "I just want to knock him down" phase (as you likely are also, if you've analyzed things to this extent ), and am thinking beyond just getting him killed.  Once I started to bow hunt, I noticed the rib cage shot deer are SO much nicer to butcher, so I adopted that method for hunting with firearms too.  If the deer's attention is fixed on something I prefer to head shoot them, for obvious reasons, rarely take a front-on shot (any projectile travelling full-length makes a nasty mess in the guts), and usually wait for a nice "double lung" broadside shot.  The .30-06 does a good job, now that I've switched to Sierra soft point bullets.  I was using Winchester Fail Safe Talons (Black Talons for rifles) and they were the same as using fmj when hitting the rib cage--they SUCKED, and the last buck I shot went 500+ yards, after a perfect "bow shot" through both lungs, and was very nearly the first deer I shot and didn't recover.  I've had no problem since switching to soft points.  

Sorry for the hijack, as little of this is relevant to the thread.  

I didn't want to screw up that thread...
We could be long lost brothers BK....alot of similarities...
Bowhunter also...although I 'm just getting into my own butchering. I'm still an amatuer at it.  I didn't realize there was 5 lb of meat there. With the 12, I was aways looking to put the slug thru a shoulder and into the heart lung cavity. quick anchor...thats probably why most went down so hard. Although, a couple I hit frontal with no broken bones did the same. (yes..a mess but I just hold my nose )Blunt force trauma? I would assume so. When I'm shooting doe, I'll do the head if I can. Up until last year I have been using the winchesters also, (30-06) 150gr. I just changed to sierra game getters 165gr. boattails. They are a soft point and I expect good results. Haven't hit a deer yet with them. The interesting thing, is that I have also put a 150gr 06 round thru the shoulder and into the lung/heart and they still run a good 30 to 40 yrds. I can understand each kill is different, but I DO see a pattern between the shotgun and hi power rifle. I find it interesting that we have such opposite results.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]

I had a fun experience a year ago (April 25, 2003)--I was recruited to conduct a "nuisance kill" of deer here in Illinois.  I got to shoot six deer in one day near Mt. Vernon--and I got to use a rifle, and ride around on an ATV to do it.  Very cool, and a good learning experience.  As it was warm, it was a HARD day's work with the butchering chores though.  

are you kidding me? awesome!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had a fun experience a year ago (April 25, 2003)--I was recruited to conduct a "nuisance kill" of deer here in Illinois.  I got to shoot six deer in one day near Mt. Vernon--and I got to use a rifle, and ride around on an ATV to do it.  Very cool, and a good learning experience.  As it was warm, it was a HARD day's work with the butchering chores though.  hr

That's meat on the table for a year all in one day's work. Venison burger, steak & sausage, its all good!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#7]
You need to get up to North Dakota and get some of them Field Vermin off of my CRP land.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Crap, it's too bad you're so far away from me.  Oh well, we can keep in touch here.  In case you didn't know, Ed Sr. is a serious deer hunter.  He's trying to teach Aimless too.  So far, he hasn't been able to get Aimless away from shooting squirrels from the neighbor's bird feeder.  hehe  

Well, I've been able to settle my life down some (hectic past few years) so I get to post aliitle more lately. For my 1000th post, I'm gonna become a member. That way we can post deer photos even if we don't get the chance to hunt together. You never know though. Cool on Ed Sr. ..I didn't know that. He looks like he could have been De neros stunt double in deerhunter

Is aimless hitting anything?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey Bee! Have you ever gotten lost while hunting?

Maybe you can come and school TRG and Edsr on how to read maps.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had a fun experience a year ago (April 25, 2003)--I was recruited to conduct a "nuisance kill" of deer here in Illinois.  I got to shoot six deer in one day near Mt. Vernon--and I got to use a rifle, and ride around on an ATV to do it.  Very cool, and a good learning experience.  As it was warm, it was a HARD day's work with the butchering chores though.  

That's meat on the table for a year all in one day's work. Venison burger, steak & sausage, its all good!!

True, but our freezers were still mostly full, so I gave it all away--even the backstraps.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just noticed this thread.  

I LOVE to kill deer.  Heh

Our results are not likely to be significantly different.  If you hit "hard stuff"--shoulder blade/bones--they will likely not go as far, mostly due to deformation of whatever slug you are poking through.  Hitting the rib cage on both sides can result in NO bones being struck at all, or at best, the thin ribs.  I always dissect every deer I shoot to see exactly what was damaged, and the one buck that ran 500+ yards had one lung collapse, and the far side lung had a neat hole through it but did not collapse, hence his long flight before dying.  VERY little blood on the ground too, so I nearly lost him, despite a good shot.  

only had one deer give me a long run..100+yrds. Hit him thru one lung on a quartering shot with a 180 gr Remington. Past clean thru with minimal expansion. I went to the 150gr right after that.

Where I currently work is in an upscale area of Pittsbugh suberbia. Big deer problem. I see deer and tukey out my window everyday. They have been looking into controlled hunts in this area. Very high population density.  I think they will do this soon. Bowhunting only. I'm going to try to get in on this. No quads though
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#12]
The Beekeeper is a skilled hunter.  As part of his job he drives around to see clients.  This allows him good opportunities to pick up fresh road kills.  So yes, he hunts deer.........dead ones.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Last year I was fortunate to harvest two elk and one mulie.  All three were shot behind the front leg resulting in double lung shots.  I use a .30-06, using 180 grain Nosler Partitions.  All three went down in their tracks with one shot.

Never, ever shoot for the shoulder - especially on a big elk!  Not only do you waste meat, but it isn't always a kill shot.  There is a lot of bone and the bullet can deflect or blow up on impact.  I have seen several deer over the years hobbling around with a broken front leg from a poor shot or not enough gun or bullet being used.  And yes, I did put them down to put them out of their misery whenever I could.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Never, ever shoot for the shoulder - especially on a big elk!  Not only do you waste meat, but it isn't always a kill shot.  There is a lot of bone and the bullet can deflect or blow up on impact.  I have seen several deer over the years hobbling around with a broken front leg from a poor shot or not enough gun or bullet being used.  And yes, I did put them down to put them out of their misery whenever I could.

I totally agree on elk..but a 12 or 06 with 150gr or better on pa white tails (within 100yds)is no problem with the correct bullet.

In PA be careful about putting wounded deer down..it is totally ethical and I agree100% but the game commision WILL ticket you for it...those bastards did it to my brother.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You guys kill deer? eeewwwwwwwwwwwww!

yes Mr. De Nero's stuntman in deerhunter...we do

hey..that would  make you real old huh...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I live for bow hunting.  I just had a long bow hand made and I took my first turkey with a bow last week.  Here are a few pics from this years deer season.  I took one with a recurv and the rest with a compund.  I plan on taking a bear when I go to AK with a bow.

quial hunting with a bow?

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#23]

I took my first turkey with a bow last week.  

Wow. That can't have been easy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I live for bow hunting.  I just had a long bow hand made and I took my first turkey with a bow last week.  Here are a few pics from this years deer season.  I took one with a recurv and the rest with a compund.  I plan on taking a bear when I go to AK with a bow.
im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cf36b3127cce8215fbc56cd00000001610
im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cf36b3127cce8215fbdaedff0000001610

quial hunting with a bow?
im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cf36b3127cce8215fb9b6c8e0000001610
im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cc26b3127cce83dc5ce7009c0000001610
im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cc26b3127cce83dc5ce681ad0000001610
im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d823b3127cce88a6a64c7f3a0000001610

Damn, man, get a job or something. You gots all the chicks, planes and hunt all the damn time.

AZ(greenwithenvy)K9
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I took my first turkey with a bow last week.  

Wow. That can't have been easy.

Set up a ground blind with a few decoys and they came right in.  The blind has slits cuts in it and it's pretty easy if you get them in close

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Slick. I've never bowhunted, but I did shoot Olympic style recurve in college. Fun stuff!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:10:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn,
nice deer.  PA has instituted antler minimums. This will be the third season now so I'm looking forward to a big buck this coming season.  

Cool on the roast Beekeeper...I think I'll be rooting around the freezer tonite and see what I got in there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top