Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2001 5:58:38 AM EDT
i always assumed that in all cases the best way to treat a barrel (on a hunting rifle--model 700, 7, 77 or 70) was to make sure there was plenty of space around the barrel ( so there was no chance of contact b/t the barrel and the stock).  i was recently talking to a friend and he told me that he is a firm believer in bedding all his barrels (placing bedding compound in the barrel channel of the forearm and then putting the barrel in place).

from yalls experience is it best (accuracy wise) to glass bed a barrel or to free float a barrel?  thanks, jim  
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that the idea is to bed the action (pillar bedding is best) and free float the barrel.

Anywho, that's my plan for my next project.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Float the barrel. Bed the action. On a 10-22 it is the reverse.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends...  Free-floated barrels MAY shoot more accurately, but will shoot more consistently(hopefully that makes sense!)  Some bolt actions shoot more accurately with 5-10 pounds of pressure from the fore-end on the barrel.  IMO, free-float the barrel and test the accuracy.  Then loosen the action, and slide one or two small pieces of thin cardboard between the barrel and fore-end about 2-3 inches from the tip of the fore-end.  Tighten up the screws and test it again.  You'll know right away what set-up you rifle likes better.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the advice...along with yalls responces i've done a quick search on the internet.  things are a little bit clearer now.  

i want to get a .260 model 7 and restock it.  i'd like to throw together a lightweight, compact, accurate rifle...but have yet to find a model 7 at the right price.  since i've seen one of those tigerwood laminate stocks i've been itching to put one together myself.  (i also wouldn't mind rechambering it in 260 remington improved) for now i'm just sort of going through the different things that i need to consider when putting this dream gun together.  

thanks, sloth
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Chas is right about the 5-10lbs of pressure.I have seen plenty of rifles that shot better this way.Usually the sporter and light barrel ones,but not always.Matter of fact i've never seen a 22lr bolt gun that didnt except for a couple very heavy barreled ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top