Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 6:54:12 PM EDT
I have read that Diane finestine(D) CA, has introduced a bill that would ban the BP vests for civilians.
I am a corrections officer and my dept. doesnt issue a vest and doesnt pay for one if I wanted it so it falls on my shoulders to buy one if I want it.

to justify my purchase I am on the SRT team and could be responsible for high risk transport thus putting my life in danger as well as others if I were to fall / die with my weapon in the line of duty.

and to top it off I don't think I could get my dept. to write the letter to authorize me to buy one after the "ban"

so how serious do you all think this ban is and do you think it will actually pass?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
They had tables of them at the gun show I went to a couple of months ago, class II and III stuff available to the public. SOme even had POLICE and SHERIFF printed on 'em. They had flyers they were passing out about Feinstein to drum up sales more than anything else I think. You never know what the congress critters will do though. There was all that noise recently about the DOJ and their "armor peircing" ballistics testing on body armor in S.397 so the ideas are out there.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]
WONDERFUL, JUST FUCKING WONDERFUL!!!!!
Take our guns away, THEN take away our body amour.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#3]
If you let the police decide what should and should not be allowed, it is called a "Police State". Criminals never seem to have any trouble getting or using anything that is "banned" or illegal.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:03:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you let the police decide what should and should not be allowed, it is called a "Police State". Criminals never seem to have any trouble getting or using anything that is "banned" or illegal.  

Thankyou!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:57:26 AM EDT
[#5]
The stpiudity of certain members of our govt amazes me. Like there arent more important problems our country is facing than disarming the american people
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:06:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The stpiudity of certain members of our govt amazes me. Like there arent more important problems our country is facing than disarming the american people

Speaks volumes of the stupidity of the people that keep voting that bitch into office, now doesn't it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:24:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I get a laugh out of guys buying... and paying big bucks for used BV's... Or old ones.
I like to blow the wind out of their sails by letting them know that the uber cool BV they just dropped $$$ on  has probaby passed it's expirery date and no longer can be depended on....
We have ours repleced every 3-4 years....
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I get a laugh out of guys buying... and paying big bucks for used BV's... Or old ones.
I like to blow the wind out of their sails by letting them know that the uber cool BV they just dropped $$$ on  has probaby passed it's expirery date and no longer can be depended on....

Lots of tests have been done on old vests and the results have found that old vests are still just as good after many years of wearing.  (That doesn't apply to the Zylon vests though!).  Kevlar lasts for years.  There isn't anything wrong with getting your vest replaced regularly but I wouldn't hesitate to wear an old one if that was all I had!

Sounds like the laugh is on you!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Just as we have laws against using guns in crimes, we have laws against using body armor while committing a felony. Why punish law abiding citizens. If you are good guy of whaterver ilk, more power to you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#11]
There is only one reason for the government wanting to outlaw BV's for 'civilians'...

It means they want to be able to shoot you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of tests have been done on old vests and the results have found that old vests are still just as good after many years of wearing.  (That doesn't apply to the Zylon vests though!).  Kevlar lasts for years.  There isn't anything wrong with getting your vest replaced regularly but I wouldn't hesitate to wear an old one if that was all I had!

Sounds like the laugh is on you!!!

As long as you care for your body armor, there's no reason it shouldn't last WELL past the 'recommended' replacement date.

I've shot several 10+ year old vests and all have performed fine.

10-32
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That reminds me, I need to ask him if got his CCDW yet, what good is arrmor and no weapon?
Art in KY

When you get shot in the vest, the bullets do not penetrate your skin, and thus you live. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Most armed people who are shot while wearing a vest never get a round off. Think of all the unarmed people who get shot and die or suffer serious injury and wouldn't if they had a vest - Ronald Reagan, etc.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There is only one reason for the government wanting to outlaw BV's for 'civilians'...

It means they want to be able to shoot you.

The armor-ban advocate's logic behind banning armor goes something like this:

*Civilians can own armor, so criminals will try to get their hands on more potent weapons in order to defeat armor.

*If civilians can get armor, so can criminals.

*If criminals have armor, police will have to resort to more powerful weapons in order to defeat the criminal's armor, and likewise the criminals will use more powerful weapons to defeat the police's armor.  (starting an "arms race")  Thousands of innocent children will be gunned down while buying ice cream at the ice cream truck (the same truck that sells machine guns and body armor, by the way).

*Police have a right to wear armor, but civilians don't because there's a remote chance that some civilians might be criminals.  Never mind the fact that body armor is purely defensive in nature.

blah blah blah you know the rest.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top