Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2013 3:51:58 PM EST

Have never done much woodwork, but I would try one of these.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:10:52 PM EST
Looks fairly simple. It is covered in fabric so it wouldn't have to be very neat. You will want the section that opens to be light, so maybe 1x's and luan. Section on wall could just be ply, and will be slightly smaller to fit inside. Materials will be cheap, so if you screw up the box, no big deal, just try again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:11:15 PM EST
It looks fairly simple from those pictures. I wonder if those are kitchen cabinet hinges, and if there is a hinge that might be have a tension spring of some sort to keep it open when you want it open.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:21:50 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By costanza:
It looks fairly simple from those pictures. I wonder if those are kitchen cabinet hinges, and if there is a hinge that might be have a tension spring of some sort to keep it open when you want it open.
View Quote

The hinges on the end looks like a hinge made for a chest, and many have springs to keep them from slamming shut on kids fingers.

I think you are correct that the other hinges are cabinet hinges.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:36:03 PM EST
If you tell me what woodworking tools you have I'll help you

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:42:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2013 6:43:20 PM EST by HitmanMonkey]
Originally Posted By Covertness:

View Quote

Ha! All I have is a circular saw and a cordless drill. My power tool collection is pretty sad right now

But yeah...I was thinking 1x4s for the sides, ply for the back, some light panel for the front. Maybe a piano hinge and some spring type thingies (technical term) to hold it open.

Then I'm going to figure out some sort of locking system. I would like it to have a trick to open it so it isn't too easy if you don't know the trick.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:47:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By costanza:
View Quote

This is correct , they are cabinet hinges, you could also use a piano hindge instead.
the hinge at the ends are lid supports , something usually used on something like a hope chest
And can be found at any hardware store.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:56:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By HitmanMonkey:

Ha! All I have is a circular saw and a cordless drill. My power tool collection is pretty sad right now

But yeah...I was thinking 1x4s for the sides, ply for the back, some light panel for the front. Maybe a piano hinge and some spring type thingies (technical term) to hold it open.

Then I'm going to figure out some sort of locking system. I would like it to have a trick to open it so it isn't too easy if you don't know the trick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Alright, let me think on that. This is the second time I've seen that here on arf this week. I'm half tempted to make one or some and sell them.

Might need to buy an additional tool or two to make it look nice. Kreg pocket hole jig and a palm sander. Nothing really expensive. However if you're willing I'll give it a go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:21:39 PM EST
Is that a flag cut and glued or is it painted on there?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:32:41 PM EST
I want one. Where do I send my money?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:40:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By BigWheel78:
I want one. Where do I send my money?
View Quote

This....
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:29:28 AM EST
Here's the other thread on this display piece

Hidden AR box
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:11:23 AM EST

Alright, let me think on that. This is the second time I've seen that here on arf this week. I'm half tempted to make one or some and sell them.

Might need to buy an additional tool or two to make it look nice. Kreg pocket hole jig and a palm sander. Nothing really expensive. However if you're willing I'll give it a go.
View All Quotes

Id buy one if not two.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:39:19 AM EST
Yeah but would y'all pay enough to make it worth the time and effort?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:43:18 AM EST
View Quote

I'll build it for $10 less than he will.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 12:11:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 12:16:02 PM EST by Trollslayer]
I'll go $11 under. j/k

I don't think you need much more than a hand saw, hammer, screw driver and drill (for a lock set). Materials would be hinges, lock, nails and screws plus finishing materials.

A wooden box hanging on the wall is in no way secure. The lock is perfunctory, and required by law here in California but still perfunctory.

Power tools tend to make things faster if you are making more than one.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 1:13:34 PM EST
Ya I know I'm one of those F'n 13ers' but, I thought I might be able to help in this case. The two cabinet hinges in the middle are 6 way adjustable hinges and would come in handy to get lined up the way you like it before you mount the box top hinges. Also, I would guess that it is backlit by a 4' fluorescent fixture. lots of light and minimal heat. Ballast can get hot though so leave some way for heat to vent out top. Anyway point is that that fixture is about 4" deep so you will want to use 1x8s on the sides. You could incorporate some of those child proof locks that use the magnets for securing the lid.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 1:17:53 PM EST
ya I guess I see what you mean about us newbies and our first post. After all that I realized this one was not backlit. The others I have seen were so as to give reason why it was built so deep. I will now shutup and go back to my lurking for the time being
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:34:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 2:39:51 PM EST by veritas_rasa]
Originally Posted By Camartin:
Ya I know I'm one of those F'n 13ers' but, I thought I might be able to help in this case. The two cabinet hinges in the middle are 6 way adjustable hinges and would come in handy to get lined up the way you like it before you mount the box top hinges. Also, I would guess that it is backlit by a 4' fluorescent fixture. lots of light and minimal heat. Ballast can get hot though so leave some way for heat to vent out top. Anyway point is that that fixture is about 4" deep so you will want to use 1x8s on the sides. You could incorporate some of those child proof locks that use the magnets for securing the lid.
View Quote

I wouldn't use fluorescent. I'd look into LEDs with a pressure sensitive switch that activates when opened.
I like the piano hinge better than those obtrusive cabinet hinges. Maybe use an automotive hydraulic trunk strut instead of the box support?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:44:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By veritas_rasa:

I wouldn't use fluorescent. I'd look into LEDs with a pressure sensitive switch that activates when opened.
I like the piano hinge better than those obtrusive cabinet hinges. Maybe use an automotive hydraulic trunk strut instead of the box support?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By veritas_rasa:
Originally Posted By Camartin:

A piano hinge would be easier for someone who isn't familiar with cabinets
Hinges . The downside to a piano hinge is you will have to change the pivot point at the top
Of the box.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:47:41 PM EST
Capitalism fuk yeah Merica! Cool box man.

Originally Posted By DuraToTheMax:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DuraToTheMax:

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:09:50 AM EST

View All Quotes

Going to go about this a little different than what is pictured but I think this is the easiest way to accomplish this task with very little woodworking tools, knowledge, and skill.

Find a picture frame that is big enough to store your rifle behind. Look for something that is cheap with no fancy moldings but with a wide border.

Above is not the right size but an example of what I mean by a wide border. Frame is 2' - 3" wide.

Now build a box that is around 1/2" smaller than the outside of the frame. Easiest way to do this is with a Kreg pocket hole jig. Make sure the boards you cut for the box are matched so when you put it together you have nice 90 degree angles all the way around. For the "bottom" of your box I would recommend at least 1/2" plywood.

Put your frame on a table upside down and place your box on top of the back side of the frame. Now attach some 1/4" round molding around the backside of the frame around the perimeter of the box. (This will hide the fact that your frame is hinged to the box when you hang it on the wall.) You might need to notch the 1/4" round at the top of the frame for your hing(es). No need for a piano hinge as the only weight being born by the hinges is the frame. Make sure the hinges you buy lift the frame up and away from the box or your 1/4" round will bind on the top of the box.

Sand everything smooth and paint the box and the frame so it all matches.

Mount the box to the wall and use hangers to hold your rifle in place. Attach your frame to the box with the hinges and you're done. This way, you open just the frame of the picture instead of the whole box.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:50:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2013 6:57:20 PM EST by Trimdad]
Hey all, I got bored today and started making one of the wall boxes .
There really isn't a lot to it and after initial measurements were
Done I had 30 minutes in it, I would have finished it but the neighbors showed up
To shoot the sh-t and nothing happens after that .

If you don't have a whole lot of fancy tools ,, you can still do this with a jig saw or circular saw ,
Drill, and hand drive nails.
A circ saw or jig saw won't give you the perfect edge that
A table saw will give you . But if you cover it with a canvas image ,
Like in the picture ,,, it won't matter. .

Here is how I started

I used a sheet of high grade AC plywood , not perfect but I had it on hand .
It is. 3/4 thick. The down side to that is its heavy , you could also
Use 1/2 ply but not on the top where the hindges mount

The hinges are style mounted " euro " cabinet hinge with a 1/2 overlay.
They require a 1 3/8 forestner bit which is 1/2 deep. This is why you
Need a 3/4 priece on the top

This is with the lid pieces assembled. I left 1/8 clearance
All the way around . You need a little clearance for it to operate
Plus once you cover the back with fabric ( you don't have too)
And the canvas for the lid, a extra 1/8 won't hurt.
The side pieces are 3 1/2 tall, so minus the back (3/4)
You have 2 3/4 clearance. More than enough for a AR ,
You could shrink it down if needed

Box closed but without the top installed yet.
If you use plywood or solid lumber and don't have a nail gun ,
Pre drill your holes and than you can hand drive the nails.

This is as far as I got. Mine will mount vertically so I will have to make the brackets to hold
The rifle in place.
I'm also going to mount a 3/4 by 3/4 board on the inside of
The box to act as a stop. And instal rare earth magnets to hold it in place.
Mine will be mounted next to a solid core interior door
And the magnets will help it from rattling when the door shuts.

My wife needs to pic a print,,, and that could take forever
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:31:51 AM EST
View Quote

$60 and you pay the shipping?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:50:35 PM EST
This is a good idea, I like the way that's looking.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:46:51 PM EST
I don't think a 5" thick box hanging on the wall is really going to work in most homes.

My idea - recess it into the wall so that only the picture is above the surface. It will look like a normal picture on the wall and the gun in in th ebox, inside the wall. If you have to cut across studs, build a header and sill, as though you were framing a window.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:52:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
I don't think a 5" thick box hanging on the wall is really going to work in most homes.

My idea - recess it into the wall so that only the picture is above the surface. It will look like a normal picture on the wall and the gun in in th ebox, inside the wall. If you have to cut across studs, build a header and sill, as though you were framing a window.
View Quote

Ya it is thick, hopefully it's depth will get lost in the artwork.
If you make one to hold a shotgun or even a small pistol sized
One you could shrink up the depth. And use a 1/2 back.

Some company makes one that is a vertical mirror that
Installs between studs.its pretty nice. It's more complicated
To build than this one , but only sticks out 1 1/2.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:54:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By Trimdad:

View All Quotes

Part your artwork is on doesn't need to be 3/4" either. 1/4" would be fine and would also save some of the total depth of the project (as well as weight).
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:12:33 AM EST

Part your artwork is on doesn't need to be 3/4" either. 1/4" would be fine and would also save some of the total depth of the project (as well as weight).
View All Quotes

Very true, I just used what was laying around.
I'll mount this one above my bed ,,,, maybe,, the wife isn't digging it too much
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:26:01 AM EST
Where can I buy one and how much do I need to send where?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:10:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By Punisher0822:
View Quote

If you live near Charlotte you can buy the materials and come over to my shop and build it yourself under my guidance. You wouldn't be the first person to take me up on this offer
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:04:14 PM EST

If you live near Charlotte you can buy the materials and come over to my shop and build it yourself under my guidance. You wouldn't be the first person to take me up on this offer
View All Quotes

I would love to do this if I ever get a free weekend.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:14:09 AM EST

View All Quotes

Tactical Walls
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:30:53 AM EST
I found this awesome idea a while back. You can probably make in from a fold out couch. I don't have the tools or skill to attempt.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:40:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By AMTguy:
I found this awesome idea a while back. You can probably make in from a fold out couch. I don't have the tools or skill to attempt.

http://media.nbcdfw.com/images/654*368/gun-safe-couch-081613.jpg
View Quote

Now that's cool , they also make one that goes under your bed,,,,
Called " the bed vault " . It's pretty expensive though
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:33:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By strahd_zarovich:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By strahd_zarovich:

Sure, anytime, any project.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:48:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
Tactical Walls
View Quote

Now THOSE are interesting - a full length mirror on full extension hinges hiding a recessed compartment. I will have to take some time to better review that web site.

In California, it would need to have a locking device on it to avoid legal hassles but that could be added.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:04:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2013 10:07:50 AM EST by Bringer_of_Fire]

Now THOSE are interesting - a full length mirror on full extension hinges hiding a recessed compartment. I will have to take some time to better review that web site.

In California, it would need to have a locking device on it to avoid legal hassles but that could be added.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
Tactical Walls

Stack-on already makes what you are talking about, and for a bit cheaper than the tactical walls. Made in the USA. Link

That and a cheap mirror and you are GTG for about $100.

ETA: All you would need to complete the job would be a jab saw, a drill/driver, and about ten minutes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:12:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 7:34:24 AM EST by Trollslayer]
Ah!, the Tactical Walls products already have a locking mechanism - a magnetic lock.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:56:41 AM EST
Tagging for the fun idea. Possible Christmas gift for some of my family members.
Top Top