Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2007 9:07:02 PM EDT
a long story short, I was under stop loss to deploy with our unit, I didn't mind deploying it's what I signed up for, but I'm not that crazy about this deployment, maybe won't see any action with it.
There was an error with stop loss and it didn't go into effect until recently, a week or so after my ets date so they phoned me to tell me I could either remain in the unit with a 60 day extension without any committment to the deployment and not effected by stop loss, or I could just ets.
So I'm considering active duty options, 11b among nation guard options.
Questions, excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a stryker brigade and where are they located, are they the tip of the sword or considered elite or anything?
Is 10th mountain's ao in afghan?
Does anyone know of any major infantry divisions preparing for a deployment to iraq, if so and ya can't post it could you im me here?
If anyone has any advice or info about active duty infantry post or im and it would be appreciated, I'm gatherin all the info I can quickly so I can act on this.
Also if anyone's in a national guard infantry unit that's looking at a deployment within a few months im me.

appreciate it, and God bless...
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 1:26:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, 4th Infantry at Ft Hood/Ft Carson will be deploying to Iraq later this year.  I think the 1st and 3rd BCT are going back in the October to December time frame.  Probably more than a couple 11B slots opens.  And when they rotate home in 08-09, the entire Division be going to Ft Carson.

2nd ACR in Vilsek, GE should be deploying within the year.

Strykers are big sexy right now.  Lots of money being thrown at a multi role vehicle platform.

10th MTN has deployed to both Iraq and Trashcan.

I'm sure others here have info on other units.  Good luck with your decisions!
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 2:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]
That's right, Strykers are ELITE! Spartans and Samurais run at the mere mention of our names!

Strykers are the new and sexy motorized infantry with all the latest and greatest doo dads. Awesome battle taxi.
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]
that's really good info yall, appreciate it much, and since you mention it over a month ago I heard someone tell me their friend was in the infantry at ft carson and was deploying this fall.
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Kind of off topic, but I think I've seen some of your other posts, are you in the cav unit out of the Va beach area?
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#5]
c troop from va beach, that's it. I really like the unit and am inclined to go on the deployment because of the friends I've made there, but the deployment and mission itself just have to many questions at this point.
I'm really liking the thought of the 4th id or 10th mountain, particularly 10th mountain. I phoned the recruiter and he said you list 5 options you'd prefer and they do their best to slot you 1 of those top 3. I figure I couldn't go wrong if I listed a ranger battalion, 10th mountain, 4th id, 101st and 3rd id in that order. I'm jump qualified but don't really have the desire to go '82nd for some reason. But if I listed that that would be 6 and I couldn't argue with assignments to any of those, ft. bragg's only 4 hours away at that.
I'm 41 so it's sort of now of never with active duty.
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Sending PM

Edit: Nevemind
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
hey, were looking for 5 and sixes, but we go wheels up in like 6 weeks.  11B mission, rest by IM but, great leadership, great unit, highly motivated.......when you go back to active, you  may loose your fives anyway......
NG unit,  IM me....
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought the Strykers weren't seeing much action outside the wire. At least that was the case when my wife was deployed there about 1.5 years ago. Obviously a lot has changed since then so please correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't been chasing down photos but I don't remember seeing many Strykers lately.

Nothing wrong with straight leg infantry. Odds are you'll be hitching a ride from someone so humping all over the place isn't too likely. Depending on who you get with will determine how much trigger time you get.

IMHO Afghanistan will probably be seeing more action at some point. Not sure exactly when but things on the border of Pakistan are always pretty tense as I understand it. It's only a matter of time before something cool happens there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I thought the Strykers weren't seeing much action outside the wire. At least that was the case when my wife was deployed there about 1.5 years ago. Obviously a lot has changed since then so please correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't been chasing down photos but I don't remember seeing many Strykers lately.

Nothing wrong with straight leg infantry. Odds are you'll be hitching a ride from someone so humping all over the place isn't too likely. Depending on who you get with will determine how much trigger time you get.

IMHO Afghanistan will probably be seeing more action at some point. Not sure exactly when but things on the border of Pakistan are always pretty tense as I understand it. It's only a matter of time before something cool happens there.

They are seeing all kinds of action in Iraq.  They just rolled through a Brigade into Victory before we left.

10th MTN is all over.  They were in Iraq while we were there.  They had a huge part of Liberty and even had one of the Chow Halls named/sign put up.  Went to their HQ many times for Generals meetings.

Right before we left 2nd ID and 25th ID came in.  4th ID left before we did, cockmunches.  The schedule was, and this is public info:
3rd ID
4th ID (IIRC)
18th Abn
3rd ID
4th ID/5th Corps
18th abn/2nd ID/25th

Or something like that.  At first we were authorized to wear the 18th Abn and 3rd ID patches.  Then they said we couldnt wear 18th but when 4th took over, we could wear 3rd or 4th and that was it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
c troop from va beach, that's it. I really like the unit and am inclined to go on the deployment because of the friends I've made there, but the deployment and mission itself just have to many questions at this point.
I'm really liking the thought of the 4th id or 10th mountain, particularly 10th mountain. I phoned the recruiter and he said you list 5 options you'd prefer and they do their best to slot you 1 of those top 3. I figure I couldn't go wrong if I listed a ranger battalion, 10th mountain, 4th id, 101st and 3rd id in that order. I'm jump qualified but don't really have the desire to go '82nd for some reason. But if I listed that that would be 6 and I couldn't argue with assignments to any of those, ft. bragg's only 4 hours away at that.
I'm 41 so it's sort of now of never with active duty.

If you think you really want to be Mountain Infantry, Pack as much shit in your ruck as possible. Now on the coldest shittiest day of the year take your ruck and hike up the tallest, longest hill you can find all day long, then make your choice. As Mountain Infantry myself I can tell you that it can be absolutly miserable! If I had my choice I'd go 101. SGT Bell 42ID HHC 86BSTB (mountain)
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]

If you think you really want to be Mountain Infantry, Pack as much shit in your ruck as possible. Now on the coldest shittiest day of the year take your ruck and hike up the tallest, longest hill you can find all day long, then make your choice. As Mountain Infantry myself I can tell you that it can be absolutly miserable! If I had my choice I'd go 101. SGT Bell 42ID HHC 86BSTB (mountain)

I love hills, no self respecting training run or hike of mine will ever be flat and without steep hills.
Actually I've ruled out mech, not any offense intended mech soldiers, and am concentrating on "light", so God willing I can work things out with my family here I'm going to go for it and list the 10th mountain, 1st preference, 101st or 82nd.
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Appreciate the im stalker, but I couldn't respond because it said you had im's from this site off. Anyhow you had some really good info about the stryker's and i leanred a lot from your im.
God bless.
!!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I did the 60 day option, stop loss doesn't effect me, so I have a tentative ets of may 20.
At drill the other day I learned that 1 of the infantry companies in va. is deploying to baghdad in june, not with big % of troops deloying to kuwait, the rumor is they'll be in the green zone, is this likely a glorified secuity mission? Is there a lot or any action to be had close to the green zone?
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I did the 60 day option, stop loss doesn't effect me, so I have a tentative ets of may 20.
At drill the other day I learned that 1 of the infantry companies in va. is deploying to baghdad in june, not with big % of troops deloying to kuwait, the rumor is they'll be in the green zone, is this likely a glorified secuity mission? Is there a lot or any action to be had close to the green zone?

Hm....one of KS field arty units was stationed in the GZ and IIRC, they had a small security mission.  Not sure for what though...I think it was just Force Protection...

Close to the GZ?  There's Haifa Street and the very north gate right next to the MOD is known as "Assassin's Gate" because of so many car bombs that have gone off there.  Its fairly quiet nowadays.  I dont think while we were there that any carbombs targeted the GZ.  
Wait I take that back, a Suburban targeted an American Convoy while it was being waved in the gates...

But its not too terribly bad.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Appreciate it much, they said it was a lot of rocket and mortar attacks, I know more what to expect if they'd actually say what the mission is expected to be.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Appreciate it much, they said it was a lot of rocket and mortar attacks, I know more what to expect if they'd actually say what the mission is expected to be.

Hmm...

There was a few.  My buddies were about 150m away from 3 mortar rounds one day.  Everyone was ducking into the Duck & Cover bunkers.  They were standing on top of the Humvees trying to see the rounds.

There was 1 or 2 shooting incidents inside the GZ while we were in Iraq.  Also, they found an IED one day right in front of FOB Prosperity.  We found that out 2 days after we had a mission.
That was the only time we were ever really worried/afraid during our whole year.  That was one of our first missions too so of course we were a little spooked.
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That's right, Strykers are ELITE! Spartans and Samurais run at the mere mention of our names!

Strykers are the new and sexy motorized infantry with all the latest and greatest doo dads. Awesome battle taxi.

What ever you say Leg  
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What ever you say Leg  

Sure thing dope on a rope.
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What ever you say Leg  

That hurts but heres to ya Brother

Link Posted: 4/4/2007 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What ever you say Leg  

My hat is off to the Sky Soldiers. You gotta be crazy to volunteer for that shit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What ever you say Leg  

My hat is off to the Sky Soldiers. You gotta be crazy to volunteer for that shit.

Maybe just a tad crazy On a serious note, what exactly is a Stryker Unit? What little I know it sounds like our Cav Troop, they used to go tearing ass around with 50's and recoiless rifles mounted on their jeeps..
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Mechanized infantry on wheels essentially. There are 11 variants based on the same platform. They all have a great computerized C2 and tons of other doo dads. They ride nice and would actually say roomy on the inside.

M1126 ICV - Infantry Carrier Vehicle
M1127 RV - Reconnaissance Vehicle
M1128 MGS - Mobile Gun System not fielded
M1129 MC - Mortar Carrier
M1130 CV - Commander's Vehicle
M1131 FSV - Fire Support Vehicle
M1132 ESV - Engineer Support Vehicle
M1133 MEV - Medical Evacuation Vehicle
M1134 ATGM - Anti Tank Guided Missile
M1135 NBCRV - NBC Recon Vehicle
Mxxxx SPH - Self-Propelled Howitzer not fielded
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds very fast ! Also sounds like a lot of additional training..
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 2:22:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sounds very fast ! Also sounds like a lot of additional training..

They do get up and boogie, speed is life right? I haven't gotten one stuck...yet.

There is allot of new equipment training (NET) going on for all the various command and control systems, weapons control systems, maintenance, etc. We haven't even begun tactical training yet. We will conduct our final NET this summer and get our vehicles. Then the real training and fun begins.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#25]
what would you consider the role of "force protection" to be, is that like fob security?
And would the green zone be conidered in the sunni triangle?
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
what would you consider the role of "force protection" to be, is that like fob security?
And would the green zone be conidered in the sunni triangle?

It can include FOB security, yes.  It can also be guarding the Gym and Chow halls.

And the Green Zone in this case is also called the "International Zone".  Its where the US Embassy and UK/Aus Embassies are.  Its also where the Cross Sabers/Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers/Al Rasheed Hotel are.

A "green zone" is anything that is Militarily secure.  Each FOB/camp is a "green zone".  The "red zone" is anything that is not US controlled.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#27]
appreciate it, seems the latest rumor about the unit I'm considering changing to is they expect to do convoy security somewhere in the sunni triangle, most of the other deploying units are rumored to be doing force protection elsewhere or in or out of kuwait. This is 1 of the only companies rumored to deploying to the sunni triangle in all of this though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
appreciate it, seems the latest rumor about the unit I'm considering changing to is they expect to do convoy security somewhere in the sunni triangle, most of the other deploying units are rumored to be doing force protection elsewhere or in or out of kuwait. This is 1 of the only companies rumored to deploying to the sunni triangle in all of this though.

Convoy Sec would suck, anywhere.  Logging thousands upon thousands of miles in the barren wastelanded desert just driving.

And ForcePro would suck just as bad, I'd rather do ConSec.  We were slated to go with the 1st ID back in '05 but we found out they were going to be doing Port Security in Kuwait for a year and my unit said "Fuck you!"
Gate guarding anywhere would suck, the monotony would kill you easier than an insurgent.

Link Posted: 4/14/2007 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I know what you're sayin about the gate guarding, that's the reason i'm about 1005 certain i'm not deploying with th unit I'm in till I ets,
but not much action doing convoy security, I would have guessed that could be rough to do maybe?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Tell you what for being airborne its alot better than sitting in a giant bullet magnet they call the stryker. Gate gaurd isnt to bad did my fare share when i wasnt kicking doors down in the stan or iraq. Besides its always fun to look at the locals like there crazy then tell them road closed and to drive 50 miles out of there way to go around you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I guess we'd all do our share of guarding our gates while there.
The last local that was kia from here, actually only been 2 in this region really, from oif, was kia checking id at a checkpoint when they just pulled an ak and opened up on him. Seems sort of a tense thing to do. But I'm certain that goes with the it and all.

Anyhow the units, 5 companies of infantry some 500 soldiers strong got their mob orders for june 23rd in recent days. I know they have opsec but you can only read about it on the va. guard official site. , the cav unit I'm with but likely won't go with still hasn't heard anyting and I'm very much sighting in on just deploying with 1 of these infantry companies then. It's the oif deployment I'm looking for.
10th mountain is deploying 1 of their battalions early summer according to dod but that might be before I can get in active duty and who's to say they just wouldn't assign me to some unit within that's not deploying for a while. I can always go active after this deployment anyhow, then I'll have more experience to draw on as well.
So it might be oif starting june 23rd. Train up at camp shelby is expected to only be 2 months.
I'm anxious in a good way.
The hardest thing I'm dreading at this point will be saying goodbye to loved ones and getting out the door. ...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I guess we'd all do our share of guarding our gates while there.
The last local that was kia from here, actually only been 2 in this region really, from oif, was kia checking id at a checkpoint when they just pulled an ak and opened up on him. Seems sort of a tense thing to do. But I'm certain that goes with the it and all.

Anyhow the units, 5 companies of infantry some 500 soldiers strong got their mob orders for june 23rd in recent days. I know they have opsec but you can only read about it on the va. guard official site. , the cav unit I'm with but likely won't go with still hasn't heard anyting and I'm very much sighting in on just deploying with 1 of these infantry companies then. It's the oif deployment I'm looking for.
10th mountain is deploying 1 of their battalions early summer according to dod but that might be before I can get in active duty and who's to say they just wouldn't assign me to some unit within that's not deploying for a while. I can always go active after this deployment anyhow, then I'll have more experience to draw on as well.
So it might be oif starting june 23rd. Train up at camp shelby is expected to only be 2 months.
I'm anxious in a good way.
The hardest thing I'm dreading at this point will be saying goodbye to loved ones and getting out the door. ...

If you're wanting to go dude, get up in one of those Infantry companies.

Are they Active or Guard?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#33]
va. guard, I simply have to transfer units which is the option I have. I don't know what unit or if they are going to be attached to any specific active unit though there. But that doesn't matter to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top