Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/27/2004 10:10:08 PM EST
After reading the long thread on the FAL subject...what do these things cost and what's the first step for an amatuer to go about getting one. I don't know that I can afford getting into some of the stuff that you guys are shooting yet and it was mentioned that the FAL's were affordable. Plus, I 've always thought they were kinda cool.---Lane
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:24:31 PM EST
as most of you know, I own zero black rifles and am a FNG,

Actually, the vast majority of us had no idea. Welcome aboard, anyhow.

FALs are still right pricey. DSA and Arizona Expert Arms make the best ones I've seen, altho I believe Vector Arms and Ohio Rapid Fire also make good versions. All are at least in the neighborhood of 1k.

Build your own AR first. It's cheaper and a great learning experience.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:25:52 PM EST
Build an AR. Yuo are teh suck if yuo dont own AR15.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:29:15 PM EST
OK well if your at all mechanically inclined and can follow simple instruction then yo can build your own AR fro less than $600. That could be a car-16 or a 20" A2 or some of the other simpler configurations. If you buy from a good company and follow the instructions if will be a quality firearm.

A FAL can cost alot less I've seen decent looking ones go for $400, but they won't be as hight quality as the AR because they are made by century arms. So basically it will either work well or it might not work at all. DSA makes some VERY nice FALs but they are expensive.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:33:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By Guncrazy223:
OK well if your at all mechanically inclined and can follow simple instruction then yo can build your own AR fro less than $600. That could be a car-16 or a 20" A2 or some of the other simpler configurations. If you buy from a good company and follow the instructions if will be a quality firearm.

A FAL can cost alot less I've seen decent looking ones go for $400, but they won't be as hight quality as the AR because they are made by century arms. So basically it will either work well or it might not work at all. DSA makes some VERY nice FALs but they are expensive.

not just expensive but over priced......If I had gotten a dsa-I'd be eatin' beans for lunch/dinner for a year atleast......it just cost too much for what it does....same goes for the m1a too...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:39:05 PM EST
FNG: Prounced "Fanoogie"

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:40:56 PM EST
Actually I hadn't ever noticed you! Welcome though!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:41:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By Nephilim:
After reading the long thread on the FAL subject...what do these things cost and what's the first step for an amatuer to go about getting one. I don't know that I can afford getting into some of the stuff that you guys are shooting yet and it was mentioned that the FAL's were affordable. Plus, I 've always thought they were kinda cool.---Lane

YOU SUCK!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:48:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By m98codered:

Originally Posted By Guncrazy223:

not just expensive but over priced......If I had gotten a dsa-I'd be eatin' beans for lunch/dinner for a year atleast......it just cost too much for what it does....same goes for the m1a too...

I don't know I 've handled a few that were absolutly spectacular works of art . I don't own one but have a DSA poster next to my computer desk. I handled pertty much every configuration they sell at the NRA national convention this year. Very expensive but also very nice. Though it might start a flame war I personally prefer the FAL to the M1A. The M1A is great I just like the ergonomics of the FAL. I have fired both and like how the FAL shoots and feels much more.

I would still suggest that Nephilim gets the AR first. You can build you own easily and it really helps you understand how it all works. The ammo is cheaper which allows for more rifle practice. The FAL will be there down the road.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:49:20 PM EST
+1 build your own AR as you can afford the parts.
AR15
Go to J+T or a similar source for complete kits.
Most start out at $400.
I suggest going to Ameetec for a reciever.
They are starting at $90 right now.
Total = $490 + shipping and a little assembly.
I'm sure you could find a local Gun smith to assemble it for $50.

FNFAL:
Good Kit: $200 to $300
Reciever: Imbel $200
US Parts as it is an imported rifle: $150
Azex Fal assembly $150 without refinnish / $350 or $400 with complete refinnish and warranty.
$550 if you assemble it up to $1050 otherwise
DO NOT BUY A CENTURY/HESS.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:49:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By Voldermortist:

YOU SUCK!

Well, I see somebody rolled out the fuckin' welcome wagon!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:51:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By METT-T:

Originally Posted By Voldermortist:

YOU SUCK!

Well, I see somebody rolled out the fuckin' welcome wagon!

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:10:31 PM EST
Yeah well...I thought sooner or later, my noobie questions would pull out the pricks....I just want to learn man...that's it. My apoligies to you iif "I SUCK
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:15:36 PM EST

Yeah well...I thought sooner or later, my noobie questions would pull out the pricks....I just want to learn man...that's it. My apoligies to you iif "I SUCK

its all good---we all were noobs at one time or another
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:21:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:09:47 AM EST
Dont worry, I own zero black rifles as well and dont plan on buying one anytime soon!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:11:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:20:25 AM EST
a cop advocating the SKS.
The VPC just closed down.

Anyhow, get a cheap AR first. Go for the modularity and great learning curve of the plastic rifle. Then do what I did, buy many more of them. THEN buy a century FAL. THEN order a custom DSA carbine and wait 5 weeks (1,2,3,4 days so far.....).
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:33:46 AM EST

Some of it's kidding, some of it's just infantile meanness, but you hang in there and you can learn a lot here.

Howerver, getting back to your original questions..........my observations:
FALs are wonderful weapons. The original Belgiums and their like are great, but pricey.
DSA makes the best current copy, and I love mine. They are relatively expensive, but quality costs.

I agree, as a noob stay away from Century, etc. More trouble than they're worth if you get a bad one.

Now some light in the tunnel. If you watch the EE or for sale section of FALfiles, or search Sturmgewer, you can often find an IMBEL rceivered rifle built by an individual in the $400-500 range. Ask the seller who built the gun, whether it headspaces correctly(if they don't know what you're talking about pass), and other general questions.
You can often get a fine rifle for little money. I recently bought one with a Leupold scope and DSA scope mount that shoots great for under $600 off of GUNSAMERICA.
Talk to the seller, or look up his feedback here to get a feel for his honesty.
Ask for pictures.

Btw, i'm looking at one right now and if it doesn't work out I'll pass it along.
The AR ideas here are also a great way to start.
Good luck Noob.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:40:26 AM EST
Howdy,

As you can tell I'm one of the biggest post whores on this site - just can't keep my finger off that reply button.

Check out your state in the Hometown Forum. There just might be a member close to you to visit with.

NMSight

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:40:16 AM EST
Welcome!
Buy both!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:53:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By METT-T:
FALs are still right pricey. DSA and Arizona Expert Arms make the best ones I've seen, altho I believe Vector Arms and Ohio Rapid Fire also make good versions. All are at least in the neighborhood of 1k.

Good list - I'd add Rich Saunders from Century Gun Works, also in AZ.

Build your own AR first. It's cheaper and a great learning experience.

Really sound advice. That's exactly what I did.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:34:49 AM EST
FALs are recomended by the NRT!
members.aol.com/rckrol308/
Enough stopping power to slay Goliath!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:43:02 AM EST
BUILD ONE OF EACH!!!!

I have built from parts kits 2 FALs and built an AR (not mine damn it, mine are store bought or mostly assembled). It is extremely rewarding and you can learn the rifle inside and out. Plus you can do it in stages and spend more money overall, but not all at one time and end up with some SWEET rifles.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:49:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By FiftyCalibre:
Dont worry, I own zero black rifles as well and dont plan on buying one anytime soon!

Blasphemy I tell 'ya...Blasphemy!!

But I guess you could always throw Kangaroos or something?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:02:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By jaeger_1969:

Originally Posted By FiftyCalibre:

Blasphemy I tell 'ya...Blasphemy!!

But I guess you could always throw Kangaroos or something?

throw kangaroos? Whiskey...Tango...Foxtrot...over....

Welcome aboard Nephilim.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:07:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By AimSmall:
Welcome!
Buy both!

You beat me too it...DAMN!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:15:51 AM EST
Build/buy BOTH

Stuff it in her pooper

Post Pix.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:23:16 AM EST

as most of you know, I own zero black rifles and am a FNG

I did not know this. But I will put it in my book of hugely relevant bits of info! THANKS!
Top Top