Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2015 5:32:34 PM EDT
Your basic 2 stroke diesel, probably just supercharged as that is cheaper and simpler than turbo charged

ETA:
So, what I am getting at is trying to find an affordable engine that I could use to test a proof of concept.  The thing would really lend itself to a 2 stroke engine.  Problem is that two stroke gassers are messy and inefficient what with their gas oil mix and low compression ratios, and two cycle diesels are expensive and complexish, and cheaper 4 stroke motors are 4 stroke.  Anyway, never mind I gues, lol  

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Detroit made 1-71s I don't think many were made but you might be able to find one.

ETA: Video of one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjOLmqHa5A
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#2]
India.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Not really worth the effort to supercharge a single cylinder, when you could just go with a larger engine or a two cylinder to get the same power output.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Companies (either Humboldt or KHD) that preceded Duetz made a 2 stroke single stationary. Pretty rare, there were some East European copies. Petter made one as well, but it may have been a twin. Imagine Gardiner and Perkins probably made them. All this would have been pre-war designs. Ganz may have made one as well.

In the US, as mentioned Detroit made the series 52, 71, 82 and 149, all two stroke diesel. 52 and 71 may have had singles, but I dont ever recall seeing one. Cant think of anyone else who woulda

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not really worth the effort to supercharge a single cylinder, when you could just go with a larger engine or a two cylinder to get the same power output.
View Quote

On a two stroke Diesel, it's primary function is as a scavenging blower to clear the cylinder for the power stroke.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Why a single cylinder? And not really, the few that were made are rare collection pieces now, get a 2-71 Detroit and live with the extra cylinder.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

On a two stroke Diesel, it's primary function is as a scavenging blower to clear the cylinder for the power stroke.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beat me to it! POS 6-71.....deafening no power having fuel eating POS.

Good for pumps/generators/marine applications though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And fire trucks, those engines did well when severely abused, and pissed oil when babied. The 8v92s were loud somsobitches when pumping full tilt.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ears are still ringing from the Gamma Goat I drove in the late 80's
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Just remember if there is no oil under them there is no oil in them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really felt sorry for those guys who had to drive those. Oshkosh put a lot of padding in the HEMTTs, not loud at all.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
The refinery where my dad use to work had a Stevadore (sp) that ran on a single cylinder diesel. I don't believe it was a two stroke. The damn engine would shake itself apart after so many hours, and the company finaly put a 3 cylinder diesel in it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And fire trucks, those engines did well when severely abused, and pissed oil when babied. The 8v92s were loud somsobitches when pumping full tilt.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of our buildings had a generator powered by a 16v91t (basically 2 8v91's back to back). Had a whopping 2500 hours on it and they wanted to replace it because it wouldn't get above 75% power. And it was "old.". I told them to get a load bank on there and push the controller to max. First half hour looked like a it was half a dozen brodozers competing at rolling coal. After the smoke cleared (literally), the output started coming up.  Made it up to 90% and wouldn't go higher; we checked it out and the airflow to one bank of 8 was low. Looked like a bad turbo. Easy fix. Told the facility manager to change  PM's to include an annual load bank, and BTW I'll be rejecting his capital request for a new generator.

Tl;Dr Put your fucking for into it every so often - engines need to be run.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just remember if there is no oil under them there is no oil in them.
View Quote

2 stroke diesels have sumps, isolated sumps.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Detroit made 1-71s I don't think many were made but you might be able to find one.

ETA: Video of one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjOLmqHa5A  
View Quote

Were the GMC 1-71s actually supercharged or were they like the larger 6-71s and 8-71 that were normally aspirated and used a Rootes blower for exhaust extraction?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
One of our buildings had a generator powered by a 16v91t (basically 2 8v91's back to back). Had a whopping 2500 hours on it and they wanted to replace it because it wouldn't get above 75% power. And it was "old.". I told them to get a load bank on there and push the controller to max. First half hour looked like a it was half a dozen brodozers competing at rolling coal. After the smoke cleared (literally), the output started coming up.  Made it up to 90% and wouldn't go higher; we checked it out and the airflow to one bank of 8 was low. Looked like a bad turbo. Easy fix. Told the facility manager to change  PM's to include an annual load bank, and BTW I'll be rejecting his capital request for a new generator.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Biggest problem with those motors is a no-load idle. Poor guy will coke up and cut its air flow, up to 100%. I had a few of them at an old job, every other Saturday night the ATS was set to trip and fire the gen, the essential circuits were always on and made for a 85-90% load. Service them every 6 months and I never had an issue with them.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your basic 2 stroke diesel, probably just supercharges as that is cheaper and simpler than turbo charged.  

ETA: Technically, I would need something that doesn't run accessories off the crank for this concept test, so it would have to be an aircooled splash lubed or fuel oil mi

ETA, it is hard to explain what for, it is a project where a 2 strokebengine would work best but 2 stroke gassers are shit and 2 stroke diesels are expensive and a single cylinder would be like hens teeth so I might just consider making it work with a 4 stroke OHV gasser, something that doesn't have mechanical accessory pullies.  Basically a test mule for a proof of concept.  

Probably I could make it work w an air cooled splash lubed 4 stroke gasser.  Tell me, how does the ignition system work on these?  Is it a little mechanical distributor running at half speed the crank or an ECU or what?
View Quote

EMD makes them, but they are not single cylinder or cheap.  They do make over 4000 hp though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:32:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I've been all over here LoL, never mind.  
ALSO with a 2 or a 4 stroke diesel of similar power each running an ideal constant load at an ideal RPM, are the 2s or 4s more thermally efficient?  Would it matter whether the 2 stroke was super or turbocharged??

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:37:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, intake valves in the head and exhaust ports near the bottom of the cylinder, , or is it v/v?,.  Anyway,, the forced air is there to exhaust the leftovers after the power stroke by displacing them w clean air, which also gives you fresh air for next combustion at the next down stroke.

Point is, the supercharger or turbo is not there to make a given 2 stroke more power, it is there so the thing will function at all without ttseperate intake and exhaust strokes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Biggest problem with those motors is a no-load idle. Poor guy will coke up and cut its air flow, up to 100%. I had a few of them at an old job, every other Saturday night the ATS was set to trip and fire the gen, the essential circuits were always on and made for a 85-90% load. Service them every 6 months and I never had an issue with them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The facility manager claimed that they did a "load test" once a month, so wet stacking couldn't be the problem, so I went out there and witnessed a scheduled test.  Yes, they did a "load test" - at 0500, when the building had an absolute minimum of activity and none of the heavy equipment was running, so the genset only ever saw 20-30%. That was a consistent problem throughout our facilities - the generators were sized to run the whole building at full production, but the equipment could be sensitive so the facility managers never ran it that way.  One of my recommendations before I left was that all new generators be specified to include integral load banks and controllers in the enclosure.  I really doubt they implemented it though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top