Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/4/2006 11:51:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 11:52:41 PM EDT by iroc409]
i have a drive i need to back up to optical media.. dvd-r. i have norton ghost 9, but have heard plenty of bad news with it. am currently downloading the arconis true image 9 trial (home user).

for those that have used both, what works better?

this is only a data drive, not a bootable one, but the data is *very* important. roughly 180gb's of data, so it will need to write the image to like 40-ish dvds.

will the 15-day trial write the whole backup ok? the only reason i ask that is because if i can put off the purchase for a few weeks ($50), it would be less stressful for me. i could write the backup now, and revisit it later on down the road, or bring it back to life if the worst happens.

thanks for the input.

edited for dumb spelling.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:15:36 AM EDT
True image works alot better for me then Ghost
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:20:44 AM EDT
true image works better than ghost for me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:03:27 AM EDT
im still using a ghost 2002 as a bootable cd. it does all i need it to do
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:30:07 AM EDT

Different setups can stump one backup program, but not another. The only way to know for sure is try.

I've read of a trial bkup program (I think it was Arconis) work during the trial period, but then bkup file it made could not be accessed, even after the full program was later purchased. So the important backup made during the trial period was worthless.

I still use an older version of Drive Image. It works fine, although I have to remove cards and drives to get it to run on a couple of computers. I wouldn't use the newer versions if they were given to me because of later changes.

I tried a few trial programs to overcome the problems I was having but none made the cut. At best I was just trading one problem for another.

Check these links out too (free is good):

www.bootitng.com/utilities.html

www.partition-saving.com/

www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-07-03.htm

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:24:11 PM EDT
alright, thanks for the info.

i'll not be doing any important backups with a trial software, then :). i'll probably try ghost first since it's already installed, but i'll have to check out arconis.
Top Top