Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 1:07:44 PM EST
I have Mollies that are breeding. I don't want that, I'll have a tank full of Mollies. I want somthing to kill off the babies, but I also have other community fish I want left alone. At the store I saw a type of chiclid that won't grow beyond an inch Will that critter work, or do I just throw the male mollies into the toilet? Options, ideas?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:10:36 PM EST
Tape this to the side of the tank.... They will stop....

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:11:12 PM EST
Most cichlids will usually eat anything that moves and fit in their mouths.

Raise the mollies and then give them away? Many will die anyway.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:15:11 PM EST
Get an AngelFish!

They will leave the adult mollies alone but will snack on the babies.

You will have 1 or 2 survivors (which are the nicest of the bunch) from each birth.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:19:48 PM EST
I was aquarium stupid till I posted here. I bought the fish according to the neices "oooo" pretty. However,now I know I have 1 fighting fish, 3 chiclids, 1 striped gurammi, Theres a pecking order just like in the real world in my tank!....O'I put my finger in there and 2 bite it w/no teeth!HAHA!....dont have a passive tank, get some baby killing action in there!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:21:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ineedhelp:
Get an AngelFish!

They will leave the adult mollies alone but will snack on the babies.

You will have 1 or 2 survivors (which are the nicest of the bunch) from each birth.

Or the most timid mollies that hid their whole lives. Won't the parents eat their kids?

I have head the most humane way to kill a fish is to put it in the freezer. If you flush it, it won't die for hours.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:26:47 PM EST

I have head the most humane way to kill a fish is to put it in the freezer.

Not true.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:30:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By BigAKFan:
I have head the most humane way to kill a fish is to put it in the freezer. If you flush it, it won't die for hours.

Freezer or lethal doses of potassium chloride in the water.

In the freezer, metabolism will slow to a stop. Potassium chloride will put them to sleep - permanently.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:33:08 PM EST
bumblebee gobies are only about 1" long and only eat live food. it works out perfectly.

i had paradise fish that bred all the time, but they would always end up eating their own babies
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:35:04 PM EST
Clove oil and freezer is the best way to put a fish down.. The clove oil numbs them and the freeze slowly knocks them out...
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:37:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2006 1:40:52 PM EST by stimpy117]
Almost any type of predetar fish you use to eat the babies will evenually pick on Mom and Dad Molly. As I remember we had to seperate the babies from the parents because the Mollies will eat their young. Wait and see what happends.

The old net&flush works well too.

You might try to "sex" the fish as they breed. the more agressive one's will be male so you can in time have all male or female.

And HEY! Did I mention that a Molly in a Mason jar makes a great gift!!!!!!!!!

PS, take out any floating veg. you have because that's where the babies will hide. I re-read your post and if you have anything bigger than a Guppy, the babies will be gone overnight.

Welcome to the jungle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:19:24 PM EST
The most humane way to kill fish is beatin em with a hammer,unless you have vietnamese neighbors
Top Top